Apple now nearly as big as Microsoft Windows in personal computing sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're within the margin of error within a rounding error within the industry's margin of error. 

Isn't that how Ballmer used to refer to Macs - a round error?

• Reply 22 of 108
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 23 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

But it is not a PC.

I would say that it is. A PC is a personal computer of course, and if an iPad is the only computer that somebody owns and it fills their needs, then that is their personal computer. 

With the over hundred million iPads sold, many people are buying them to use as their primary computing device. 

Yes, but I would change the definition a little...  the iPad is an individual computer!  Many homes and business have computers that are shared/used, alternately, by multiple people.  I believe, that the iPad will bought [mostly] like a cell phone -- each individual has his own.  In fact, if Apple adds cellular voice/messaging to the iPad Mini  -- the iPad Mini could do the job of both individual phone and individual computer.

For emerging countries where individuals may not be able to afford a phone and a personal computer -- the iPad Mini would initially assume the role of family phone and family computer.

The latter offers great potential and a blank slate -- there is no inherent requirement to run any Office apps or any Windows legacy apps.

...And all this while we assumed the "i" in "iPad" stood for "Internet" -- when it was really for individual.

• Reply 24 of 108
    (Deleted. Too many similar responses, including the reference to Ballmer!)

:-/
  • Reply 25 of 108
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

According to the definition of a "computer", so is the IPhone and the IPod Touch.  If they include those, then Apple has more like about 50%+ of the computing market.  They all have processors, an OS, RAM, storage, a keyboard (virtual), a screen, and can output to printers, be networked using WiFi, run applications, etc.   Hmmmmm....

Technically they are all personal computers but with different form factor. The issue with the term PC is its association with Microsoft Windows computers. However, if you dismiss the iPad as a personal computer then you have to dismiss Surface RT and ChromeBooks as PCs too. I believe it is about time we move away from the term PC. We will eventually.. otherwise we will be calling the iPad a mainframe computer!

• Reply 26 of 108
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member

Hacintoshes may run OS X, but they are not included in Apple's hardware sales, are they?

The OP is saying that Apple's hardware sales aren't just a copy of the OS, but involve a hardware sale, unlikely Microsoft's sale of a Windows license. 

You're countering with the idea that people who buy a PC and load OS X on it matter in these figures. They do not. 

• Reply 27 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hacintoshes may run OS X, but they are not included in Apple's hardware sales, are they?

The OP is saying that Apple's hardware sales aren't just a copy of the OS, but involve a hardware sale, unlikely Microsoft's sale of a Windows license. 

You're countering with the idea that people who buy a PC and load OS X on it matter in these figures. They do not. 

If we do it from the basis of the HW then, yes, every Mac ships with OS X. Unfortunately — and I can't stress how unfortunate it is — Cash907's base rebuttal to Slurpy's point is sound because every single instance of OS X is not attached to Apple hardware.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

However, if you dismiss the iPad as a personal computer then you have to dismiss Surface RT and ChromeBooks as PCs too.

But Ol Squirtin Steve needs those numbers ! (modest though they might be)

:-)

• Reply 29 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

According to the definition of a "computer", so is the IPhone and the IPod Touch.  If they include those, then Apple has more like about 50%+ of the computing market.  They all have processors, an OS, RAM, storage, a keyboard (virtual), a screen, and can output to printers, be networked using WiFi, run applications, etc.   Hmmmmm....

Technically they are all personal computers but with different form factor. The issue with the term PC is its association with Microsoft Windows computers. However, if you dismiss the iPad as a personal computer then you have to dismiss Surface RT and ChromeBooks as PCs too. I believe it is about time we move away from the term PC. We will eventually.. otherwise we will be calling the iPad a mainframe computer!

Yes!  The things that people use PCs for today are evolving too -- though a lot slower than the hardware is evolving.

When the Mac arrived on the scene it defined a whole new category of PC use -- Desktop Publishing.   Certainly, PCs are still being used for this -- but much of that has been replaced by accessing web sites -- eliminating the physical media.  Similarly, Business Letters, Communication are evolving, simplifying -- You can satisfy a large percentage of these needs with iWork on an iPad.  Certainly, for the near future, formal documents like: contracts;  legal briefs;  bids;  tax forms  will require more powerful Formal Communication tools... but these requirements are changing too.

Then there are the things we used to call necessary busywork!

When I worked for IBM (1964-1980) they had about 400,000 employees.  The largest division was the Data Processing Division (Computers).  In the Las Vegas sub-office we had 4 Salesmen and 12 System Engineers to service about 30 active customers.  

A typical work week for a Systems Engineer would include:

2.5 hours  updating the sales manual (remove and replace and review new pages)

6.0 hours  updating technical manuals (remove and replace and review new pages)

5.0 hours  searching KWIC indexes for and ordering new manuals for self and customers

1.5 hours  reviewing hardware software bugs/details on microfiche

The typical Systems Engineer always carried a sales manual along with whatever technical manuals that he might need (always wrong) -- in a big attache case stuffed with manuals.

Today, just like the airline flight control bags, all that information could be contained on an iPad and/or accessed through the Internet.    

The 15 hours a week would, likely, drop to something less than an hour -- to review changes (highlighted by software) and search on demand.

That 18 lb attache case would, likely, be replaced with a 1-2 lb iPad.

I believe that many of the jobs that PCs are hired to do will evolve to the point that they don't require a PC to do them -- the iPad is a better fit!

• Reply 30 of 108
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155865/apple-now-nearly-as-big-as-microsoft-windows-in-personal-computing-sales#post_2273329"]
    Very few people are content creators. Most people are content consumers and don't produce anything worthwhile.

Most people have more computer than they really ever needed, but I don't think that tablets will ever totally replace desktops.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Delete
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Delete
  • Reply 33 of 108
    Delete
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Delete
  • Reply 35 of 108
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

It's about how the iPad is being used. It's about how consumers WANT (and can) use the iPad. 

This is why it's included and smartphones and iPods are not. You can argue technicalities all friggin day, but the market is deciding what exactly a computer is. You can call it a "cheeseburger" if you like. It still won't change how things are trending toward new market realities. Definitions no longer matter. Group together devices based on consumer use and expectations, and you've got yourself a segment that you can consider homogeneous. 

"The iPad is NOT a computer."

K. 

Gartner, Canalys and others think it is. The market at large seems to think it is. 

So there's a big, wet middle-finger to technical definitions. Drop em. 

• Reply 36 of 108
    Yeap, I remember RIMM, I remember Exxon's market cap...
    ...And that leads me to believe that it is possible.

Another reason Windows Desktops PCs are not selling is that large corporations are now just licensing Windows 7 OS to run in Virtual Desktop Infrastructures instead of physical PCs. Although PC manufacturers like Dell and HP are in trouble Microsoft is still licensing Windows 7.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 37 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Apple 

[" url="/t/155865/apple-now-nearly-as-big-as-microsoft-windows-in-personal-computing-sales#post_2273329"]

Very few people are content creators. Most people are content consumers and don't produce anything worthwhile.

Most people have more computer than they really ever needed, but I don't think that tablets will ever totally replace desktops.

"Totally" is the operative word..  As in PCs have not "totally" replaced maimframes...

What's significant is that tablets will replace the majority of desktops... It's already happening...

• Reply 38 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's about how the iPad is being used. It's about how consumers WANT (and can) use the iPad. 

This is why it's included and smartphones and iPods are not. You can argue technicalities all friggin day, but the market is deciding what exactly a computer is. You can call it a "cheeseburger" if you like. It still won't change how things are trending toward new market realities. Definitions no longer matter. Group together devices based on consumer use and expectations, and you've got yourself a segment that you can consider homogeneous. 

"The iPad is NOT a computer."

K. 

Gartner, Canalys and others think it is. The market at large seems to think it is. 

I was going to post "Bingo!"...  But "Ka-Ching!" Seems more appropriate!

edit:  For all you Idol fans out there -- a shake of the booty from Mariah Carey...

• Reply 39 of 108
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If we do it from the basis of the HW then, yes, every Mac ships with OS X. Unfortunately — and I can't stress how unfortunate it is — Cash907's base rebuttal to Slurpy's point is sound because every single instance of OS X is not attached to Apple hardware.

Except it's not a sound rebuttal.  Every single data point on that chart associated with OSX or iOS represents an Apple device sale.  Every single hackintosh on that chart is associated with a Windows device sale.  Those are not OS sales.  Read the chart title.

• Reply 40 of 108
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrant 610

err, I do hope you mean drop "technical definitions" .....

:-)