EA targets Mac gamers with launch of Origin digital distribution service

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Video game publisher Electronic Arts announced on Thursday the launch of Origin for Mac, a new built-for-platform version of EA's video game download service that will bring some of the company's biggest titles to Apple desktops and laptops.

The arrival of Origin on the Mac means that Apple computer users will now have an all-in-one access point for titles such as The Sims 3, Dragon Age 2, Batman: Arkham City, and LEGO Harry Potter.

"Origin is going to allow us," says EA Origin Vice President of Production Mike Blank, "to get games into the hands of our consumers as quickly as we can, to enable our gamers to connect with their friends and to enjoy their gaming experience as quickly and directly as possible."

iMacs

The new Mac-centric service, which has been in public alpha since January, will give users a persistent user account, allowing them to download cross-platform games on multiple machines, with purchases and in-game progress saved to their accounts.

"Part of the goal of Origin is to provide real value to our gamers," Blank said. "With key titles from The Sims franchise and its expansion packs, if you download it once, you can download it again across both platforms."

Origin for Mac will join similar versions for both PC and iOS, which between them have about 40 million active accounts. Blank told AppleInsider that Origin on iOS makes up a considerable portion of that figure.

"Around 40 percent, maybe, about 17 million users have entered into Origin for the first time on iOS," he explained. "Wherever they're entering from, though, they're creating an Origin ID that will work across platforms."

Asked about the reasoning behind bringing Origin to the Mac ? a platform historically seen as a second class citizen when it comes to gaming ? Blank said the Mac's gradually increasing market share, as well as a vocal community of Mac gamers, drove the decision.

"We're seeing increased activity from our Mac gamers," he said. "In the past, we've brought games slower to market for Mac than for PC partly because the audience hasn't been at the same level. The growth of iOS and Mac devices, though, means we're starting to see gamers demand to play their games on devices that are becoming more prominent. I think, across the board, developers have focused on the PC platform, but I think you're going to start seeing some changes there. [Origin] is the first step in a strategy you're going to start seeing coming out of EA."

Origin for Mac is available to download at EA's website. It requires a Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor running OS X 10.6.8 or higher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    This is mainly a push before Sim City for Mac is released... All Origin needs is retina support on their application.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think you're going to start seeing some changes there. [Origin] is the first step in a strategy you're going to start seeing coming out of EA.

That next step would be pretty cool if it was a native Battlefield 3 port. Kind of a missed opportunity bringing Origin over without it. Even if it's just a Cider port, it's better than nothing. Dead Space too probably. NFS Most Wanted. Skip Medal of Honor. Mass Effect though.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I've already bought games from both Steam and the Mac app store, what does this give me that those do not offer?

Certainly not cheaper prices, because I just took a look at the store.

They had 49 games available for Mac and almost half of them seem to be SIMS games, with LEGO games coming in second. I'm not a girl and I'm not a toddler, so I think that EA needs to make some more of it's games available for Mac that are more geared towards people who are looking for something else besides the SIMS and LEGO. 

• Reply 4 of 16
    Does it involved persistent connection, DRM or a EULA that takes your humanity?
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/sim-city-beta-eula-includes-company-wide-ban-for-unreported-bugs/

No Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155868/ea-targets-mac-gamers-with-launch-of-origin-digital-distribution-service#post_2273429"]I've already bought games from both Steam and the Mac app store, what does this give me that those do not offer?

Certainly not cheaper prices, because I just took a look at the store.

They had 49 games available for Mac and almost half of them seem to be SIMS games, with LEGO games coming in second. I'm not a girl and I'm not a toddler, so I think that EA needs to make some more of it's games available for Mac that are more geared towards people who are looking for something else besides the SIMS and LEGO. 

The LEGO games are actually a lot of fun, especially the Indiana Jones one.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

How about some of the heavy hitters.  BF3 and Medal of Honor.

• Reply 7 of 16
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That next step would be pretty cool if it was a native Battlefield 3 port. Kind of a missed opportunity bringing Origin over without it. Even if it's just a Cider port, it's better than nothing. Dead Space too probably. NFS Most Wanted. Skip Medal of Honor. Mass Effect though.

Man I hope they do bring BF3 to OS X. I play it PS3 but would love to play it on my Mac. I was disappointed with MoH that I decided to skip the newer MoH.

• Reply 8 of 16
    Origin huh. Wonder if this might open the door for Mac versions of SWTOR. Would save me some trouble of running Bootcamp.

Also Jade Empire might be nice.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Am I stupid, or are this titles already all on my Mac through Steam???

I'd call that more "EA launches full scale attack on Steam" than "EA targets Mac gamers".
    Anyway, EA is known for ridiculously gamer-unfriendly tactics, I'd rather have Steam or the AppStore put a layer of defense between them and my Mac. Actually, the very existence of Steam and the AppStore are the only excuse for not pirating, not because of price, but because the government/legal system has abandonned its duty to potect our individual rights.

I guess most of that has already been said by my fellow gamer-AppleInsiders, though.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've already bought games from both Steam and the Mac app store, what does this give me that those do not offer?

Sadly, a lot of EA's games are exclusive to Origin. :(

• Reply 11 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I have had a bad opinion of EA ever since the 16-bit days when their games were most likely to crash my computer. They had the most intrusive copy protection back then too. Why can't they just go out of business, dispersing that culture and attitude, and letting the creatives in their employ find "nicer" companies to work for.

• Reply 12 of 16
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

While I support the idea of another major retailer for 3rd party OS X games, I won't personally open my Mac to EA's problems. Like supporting gay marriage without having to marry another guy myself.

And Cider ports are never 'good enough.'

• Reply 13 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Also Jade Empire might be nice.

There's a Cider port of that:

https://gametreemac.com/BioWare/Buy-Jade-Empire-Special-Edition-Mac-Download
    vorsos wrote:
    And Cider ports are never 'good enough.'

A proper port is better but if it's the choice between getting it or not, I don't see a problem using it. A few games have been done this way, even The Sims:

http://transgaming.com/cider/games

and it got a decent enough review:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1133477/the_sims_3.html

It wouldn't be very suitable for BF3 but older games like Mass Effect should run smoothly enough.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »
    I have had a bad opinion of EA ever since the 16-bit days when their games were most likely to crash my computer. They had the most intrusive copy protection back then too. Why can't they just go out of business, dispersing that culture and attitude, and letting the creatives in their employ find "nicer" companies to work for.

They've since made some amazing crash free games.
  • Reply 15 of 16

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A proper port is better but… 

…when the studios themselves just make Cider ports instead of putting any work into it…

Anyway, Cider got a lot better from whenever it was released to whenever the last time I used one was. I can only imagine it's nearly perfect now.

• Reply 16 of 16

No sports games? 

No thanks.