Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report out of the Far East claims Apple will release both an upgraded "iPhone 5S" as well as a new "iPhone 6" with a larger 5-inch screen this year.

The details come from investment news service BrightWire, which cited a report out of Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com. That source reportedly spotted two new iPhone models at Apple's suppliers.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The report said that Apple "may" release both models in 2013. The iPhone 5S reportedly has a design similar to the current iPhone 5, while the 5-inch iPhone is said to be lighter and thinner.

As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series have gained traction in the marketplace, there has been increasing speculation that Apple could go even bigger with a future iPhone model. The company increased the screen size of its flagship handset from 3.5 inches to 4 inches with the launch of the iPhone 5 last September.

Some have speculated that Apple could launch an iPhone with a bigger 5-inch display by keeping the same 640-by-1,136-pixel resolution as the current iPhone 5 screen. Stretching those pixels out to a 5-inch display would give a lower pixel density of 264-per-inch, but it would allow developers to continue to create applications for one screen resolution.

Analysts have also called on Apple to launch a big-screen iPhone, sometimes referred to as an "iPhone Plus." They believe Apple is "leaving money on the tablet" by not competing with larger devices like the Galaxy Note.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    More stupid rumors.

Great. Now the stock can start dropping again when they turn out not to be true.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    Oh! Oh no.
  • Reply 3 of 151

Really? Stick to the plan they've used for the past 5 years? SHOCKING!

• Reply 4 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More stupid rumors.

Great. Now the stock can start dropping again when they turn out not to be true.

LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).

They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

• Reply 5 of 151
    Its a shame to see Apple now playing catch up when it used to lead.

They shouldn't have released the 4inch iPhone and then introduce a 5inch a year later. Leaving THREE different iPhones and TWO iPads for developers to work on. Took ages (and is still taking ages) for devs to update to the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 6 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

They shouldn't have released the 4inch iPhone and then introduce a 5inch a year later. Leaving THREE different iPhones and TWO iPads for developers to work on. Took ages (and is still taking ages) for devs to update to the iPhone 5.

1. Apple still is the leader. Unless you count all the crappy cheap plastic POS in to the mix, they are market leader even in the smartphone section

2. This AI post is a rumor, that's around for about two years, and there is absolutely no evidence, that Apple is going in this direction.

3. Never heard about developers complaining about the two iPad versions, since it's a very small deal to enhance from normal to Retina display. Apple did a good job, with it's SDK to help developers to make the conversion.

• Reply 7 of 151
    A larger phone? Good idea.

Being an uncritical fanboi? Less good idea.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    3. Never heard about developers complaining about the two iPad versions, since it's a very small deal to enhance from normal to Retina display. Apple did a good job, with it's SDK to help developers to make the conversion.

Indeed, the transition was a near-seamless experience for my (fairly complicated) app.
  • Reply 9 of 151
    Apple can "plan" anything they want and it doesn't mean it'll come true. Personally I hope the current iPhone stays at the size it's at currently.

Crap like this is downright absurd:

[URL]http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/18/if-you-buy-this-i-will-laugh-in-your-face/[/URL]
  • Reply 10 of 151
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The phablet market is not the 5" market. The bigger phones do look good, deal with it.

• Reply 11 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Apple can "plan" anything they want and it doesn't mean it'll come true. Personally I hope the current iPhone stays at the size it's at currently.

Crap like this is downright absurd:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/18/if-you-buy-this-i-will-laugh-in-your-face/

I'm sorry... But can't you read?

2 models.

• Reply 12 of 151
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

1. Apple still is the leader. Unless you count all the crappy cheap plastic POS in to the mix, they are market leader even in the smartphone section

Your statement leaves out the most important point: Why?

All you've said is your personal opinion. "crappy cheap plastic POS" is not convincing enough. Try harder.

Sorry to say, though, Apple is indeed playing catch up. Just take a look at what Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple said recently of how Apple is doing. BAM. End of discussion.

Need I say more?

• Reply 13 of 151
    I'm sorry... But can't you read?

2 models.

I can read and my statement holds true. I don't want to see Apple make a larger iPhone than the one that's currently on the market. They already have their two models - the 5 & the 4/4s.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »

It's been less than a year since they released a 4" iPhone. Or did you mean that the original iPhone back in 2007 should have been 4" despite 3.5" being large then, battery life being best in show but still lacking on a 3.5" display, and one of the biggest complaints by the anti-Apple crowd being that it's too big.

Note that the larger Android-based devices didn't show up until the large and power-inefficient LTE chips arrived. Also note that the most commonly sold Android-based phones are not above 4", but smaller.

That said, I see no reason why Apple won't make a 4.94" or other sized phone if they feel the market warrants it but to suggest that the company taking 72% of the world's handset profits has somehow failed is ridiculous.

PS: Your last statements wants an additional size device but then claims that devs aren't moving fast enough to support the newest size device. That reads as contradictory.
  • Reply 15 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Well, [B]Solipsism[/B], there's your 4.94" screen! No need for devs to change their apps.

Of course, they can always go bigger, but that will need developers changing their apps:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19018/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 16 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    galbi wrote: »
    Sorry to say, though, Apple is indeed playing catch up. Just take a look at what Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple said recently of how Apple is doing. BAM. End of discussion.

We can look at the opinion of one person that doesn't care about Apple philosophy of a simplified and full integrated system, and hasn't worked for the company in 3 decades -or- we can look at the numbers and see that Apple completely trounces everyone in the smartphone, PMP, tablet, and PC profits around the world. I prefer using facts over emotion so I'm going to go with what counts in business.
  • Reply 17 of 151
    I think this is great news, I would consider switching back to an iphone if they came out with a bigger screened version. One of the only reasons I didnt upgrade to the ip5 was due to the small screen. I don't really know if keeping the same resolution on the rumored ip6 is a good idea though, I would like to see something in the 300 plus ppi range.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Tim has already said they're happy with the new 4" size due to it's relationship to the reach of the human thumb, I don't think they are going 5" any time soon. As for "leaving money on the table," if they keep introducing more and more variants of their products they will end up like the Apple of the 1990s, and how well did that work out? Almost died.

• Reply 19 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I can read and my statement holds true. I don't want to see Apple make a larger iPhone than the one that's currently on the market. They already have their two models - the 5 & the 4/4s.

Why? In what you would that bother you?

• Reply 20 of 151

I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.

I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.

For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.

It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.