Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

The large phone rumours only make sense if there is a large and growing segment of the market that wants a large phone and that Apple is "failing to capture."  Despite all the talk, I have never seen anyone produce any real numbers that would indicate this is so.  

Everyone always talks about how this segment exists, but I have yet to see any real numbers or analysis that indicates it's anything other than a "feeling," or a misconception.  

• Reply 22 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    copeland wrote: »
    I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.
    I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.
    For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.
    It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I'll drop the iPhone if they don't come any smaller than 5". Problem is, what to buy then? I was going to say W8, but would take a good look at BB10, now that we can. Hey, that rhymes.
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Stop it. Just. Stop.
  • Reply 24 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

3. Never heard about developers complaining about the two iPad versions, since it's a very small deal to enhance from normal to Retina display. Apple did a good job, with it's SDK to help developers to make the conversion.

Indeed, the transition was a near-seamless experience for my (fairly complicated) app.

What's your app?

• Reply 25 of 151
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Not everyone loves Samsung's bigger screens. I know someone who gave away his brand new Samsung S3 because he did not like the larger screen. Reverted back to his old Nokia. Hope this larger screen iPhone is just another unfounded rumour.
  • Reply 26 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).
    They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

Don't get me wrong. I'm opposed to all the stupid rumors that never end. Analysts will predict the same thing for 20 years and people will keep believing it.

I'm not the least bit opposed to the idea of a second iPhone model. Use the iPad as an example.

Initially, Apple released only the 10" iPad. They wanted just a single model at any one time in order to keep production and support costs reasonable and make it easier for developers by avoiding fragmentation. When you are only selling 1 M of a device, that makes sense.

Eventually, however, the iPad volume grew enough that developers would continue to support it and make money even if the total pool of customers was divided in half - with two different models. At that point, Apple introduced the Mini. Essentially, multiple models didn't make sense at one (lower) volume, but once the volume reached some higher level, they could easily support two sizes.

I don't doubt that the same thing could apply to the iPhone. While they were building the ecosystem, getting developers on board, and getting all of their own production and support ducks in a row, it made sense to avoid diversifying. It's much easier to support a single size (or a limited number of new sizes). Now that the volume has grown into the hundreds of millions, a second size can be supported. Heck, they've already shown that - they are currently selling and supporting both a 3.5" and 4" model.

I have no personal desire for a larger iPhone than the 5, but some people do. And I suspect that the market is large enough to support a larger phone - or even a 'phablet' type device. But I'm not going to get excited about it simply because some analyst predicts it for the 10,000th time.
  • Reply 27 of 151

A larger screen is most welcome! I have wondered if I should buy a Samsung S3 (god forbid) because of the larger screen, but now I can stay on the iOS platform if this rumor is true.

• Reply 28 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

And which of those fellows would be you?

>> I am not expecting you to point it out,

All I am saying is Ha!!! I knew it.

Anyway I guess it's quiet OK to work for Google's android OS. But I see now how your opinion is a bit biased.

• Reply 29 of 151
    Mother of God, panicking ....

The MAPS fiaasco ....
    The ouster of Forstall ....
    Overloading VPs with too much unfamiliar responsibilities ....
    Scramble hiring of last minute "MAPS fixers" ....
    The iPad Mini ....
    Multiple iPhone launches ....
    27 different sizes of iPhones ....

Sure, Steve said to do what's right, not what he would do.
    Well, I think Apple better start re-evaluating that policy.
  • Reply 30 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More stupid rumors.

Great. Now the stock can start dropping again when they turn out not to be true.

Well they all turned out to be true with the iPhone 5 didnt they even the leaked images were spot-on!

• Reply 31 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Your statement leaves out the most important point: Why?

All you've said is your personal opinion. "crappy cheap plastic POS" is not convincing enough. Try harder.

Sorry to say, though, Apple is indeed playing catch up. Just take a look at what Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple said recently of how Apple is doing. BAM. End of discussion.

Need I say more?

How about the fact that your using Steve Wozinak  to back your statement. Maybe you should change your name to "DigiWoz". 

• Reply 32 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Well, I think Apple better start re-evaluating that policy, because Tim Cook will be the death of Apple if he isn't gotten rid of NOW.

Forgot the " /s" did you?

I certainly hope so.

• Reply 33 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Mother of God, panicking ....

The MAPS fiaasco ....

The ouster of Forstall ....

Overloading VPs with too much unfamiliar responsibilities ....

Scramble hiring of last minute "MAPS fixers" ....

The iPad Mini ....

Multiple iPhone launches ....

27 different sizes of iPhones ....

Sure, Steve said to do what's right, not what he would do.

Well, I think Apple better start re-evaluating that policy, because Tim Cook will be the death of Apple if he isn't gotten rid of NOW.

So Apple is so much more than just Steve Jobs, hmm ....?

A**holes ....

Hmmm, you know. Nope. Never mind. Not even worth my breath. 

• Reply 34 of 151
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

And which of those fellows would be you?

>> I am not expecting you to point it out,

All I am saying is Ha!!! I knew it.

Anyway I guess it's quiet OK to work for Google's android OS. But I see now how your opinion is a bit biased.

There's lots of Google employees carrying iPhones to work simply because they prefer them. That's a good thing since Google isn't all about Android. They also like iOS users, with entire teams dedicated to improving the experience of Apple device owners, to Google's benefit too to be sure.

• Reply 35 of 151
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim has already said they're happy with the new 4" size due to it's relationship to the reach of the human thumb, I don't think they are going 5" any time soon. 

As history has shown, what an Apple CEO says and what actually happens, sometimes have little relationship to each other.

They could just move the goalposts.  E.g. bring out a larger model with a pen, and drop the one handed requirement  for that range of devices.

No one buys a Galaxy Note as a one-handed device.  They buy it specifically for its other features.  Size.  Pen.  Apps.   There's just no reason to compare a one-handed device with a two-handed device.  Different users.

Quote:

As for "leaving money on the table," if they keep introducing more and more variants of their products they will end up like the Apple of the 1990s, and how well did that work out? Almost died.

Perhaps, but I'd say that the smartphone market is not the same as the desk/laptop computer market.  

People replace phones more often, for one thing, and it's a lot more personal device.   People carry them everywhere and they've become an extension of their personality and daily work/play flow.  

It becomes important to have models that fit you, not have you be forced to fit the available models.  (Which is why there needs to be a high end smaller Android phone, as well.)

• Reply 36 of 151

Apple has locked themselves into this paradigm of "only the best" product.  It depends on who you ask, what is the best.  Is a larger screen better than a smaller screen? The market is voting that there is a large segment that wants a larger screen.  Apple is competing for the ecosystem, not just a larger phone, and that's why they need market share and need to offer different form factors.  Because one size doesn't fit all.

• Reply 37 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As history has shown, what an Apple CEO says and what actually happens, sometimes have little relationship to each other.

Or they could just move the goalposts.  E.g. bring out a larger model with a pen, and drop the one handed requirement  for that device image

Perhaps, but I'd say that the smartphone market is not the same as the desk/laptop computer market.  

People replace phones more often, for one thing, and it's a lot more personal device.   People carry them everywhere and they've become an extension of their personality and daily work/play flow.

History Repeats Itself. So it's probably likely that Apple will most likely "almost" die again. Before they come back as Apple 3.0. So I'm not entirely worried. In fact I'm Not Worried At All.

• Reply 38 of 151

I'm about sick and tired of people complaining Apple should do this and Apple should do that. Deal with it. In fact some of you complain about not having NFC or some crap. Would you rather be using this instead?

• Reply 39 of 151

"leaving money on the tablet" - now that made me laugh!

• Reply 40 of 151
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

History Repeats Itself. So it's probably likely that Apple will most likely "almost" die again. Before they come back as Apple 3.0. So I'm not entirely worried. In fact I'm Not Worried At All.

Agreed.  No need to worry.

A lot of complaints seem to come from those who don't want to have to choose between multiple models. 

The answer for any true Apple fan is, of course, quite simple:  buy one of each!  image

Seriously, it's no different than having to choose between the original and mini iPads, or between all the different iPods.