Apple's 'aggressive' approach in India increases sales by 400%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is one article from the Google search I posted: http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/jOd9cKy4pQoN91iZccnUWP/Indias-growing-middle-class.html?ref=dd

There isn't any one story that took the world's news by storm. Just periodic stories about their continued growth.

I read the article which states that a middle class family has a yearly earning between Rupee 2 lakh and Rupee 10 lakh which by my calculations equals about $3,500 and $18,000 USD.

• Reply 42 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I read the article which states that a middle class family has a yearly earning between Rupee 2 lakh and Rupee 10 lakh which by my calculations equals about $3,500 and $18,000 USD.

Sure, but remember 1) the cost of living is different so $600 for an iPhone or iPad every couple years might not be an issue, and 2) There is also an upper class to consider. The question isn't how much do they make but how much can they afford. If China is any indication Apple makes status symbols a lot of people think they can afford.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    tzeshan wrote: »

You need to express your point in your own words. Posting two links to excessive number of facts isn't helpful.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    A 5-fold difference; that's quite something.
  • Reply 46 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I'm curious what the reasons are. On one hand, I have always perceived India as being more tech friendly. If I am not mistaken, India has been a strong market for Blackberry. OTOH, I appreciate that Apple may have established strong networks in China due to its manufacturing operations. Networking is how business is done in China, almost more so than most other regions in the world. So perhaps it is only natural for Apple to use those connections to open doors to the carriers and the government.

One reason is that Apple (or any other MNC) is not allowed to setup a fully-owned (i.e 100%) stores in india. The changes to the law are currently in the parliament, and there is good chance of it happening this year. So, this meant companies like apple had to partner with a local business to set up stores here, which they were not interested in doing.

So, most of the selling has happened through 3-rd party retailers, which is not ideal. Also, a lot of people here go by word of mouth recommendations from a trusted family member or friend, and not necessarily by exhaustive analysis. Which means advertising and marketing plays a huge role to get people hooked in the first place.

• Reply 47 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I read about gang rapes in India. What other news are you referring to?

I guess, then, you're up on all the news you need to know about India.

Only, don't post on economic matters concerning the country, lest you come through as being ignorant.

I assume your knowledge of the US economy started and stopped with Newtown.

/s

Edit: Added a sentence.

• Reply 48 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Only, don't post on economic matters concerning the country, lest you come through as being ignorant.

Are you drunk? I only asked a couple reasonable questions and you somehow became completely unglued as if I insulted your mother or something.

• Reply 49 of 66
    I guess, then, you're up on all the news you need to know about India.

/s

Edit: Added a sentence.

I don't think you're being fair. He didn't say there was no other news, he's just not aware of any that made the headlines. Whether a correct assumption or not to me his comments reads that he thought there was some major news about the Indian economy that he may have missed.
  • Reply 50 of 66

Quote:

I don't think you're being fair. He didn't say there was no other news, he's just not aware of any that made the headlines. Whether a correct assumption or not to me his comments reads that he thought there was some major news about the Indian economy that he may have missed.

That's not how I read it. Perhaps, since you're acting as his interpretive proxy, you can clarify: What does the news about the gang-rape in India have to do with the Indian economy, which is what his question -- and given the context, my response to him -- was about?

Why don't we let him respond.

• Reply 51 of 66

Quote:

Are you drunk? I only asked a couple reasonable questions and you somehow became completely unglued as if I insulted your mother or something.

Ooh... you sound insulted.... 

I asked you -- very reasonably -- if you read the news, and your snarky reply about a gang-rape (perhaps you can explain its connection to the Indian economy) is not "becoming unglued"? What kind of newspapers do you read for your economic news? image

I never drink during the day.

• Reply 52 of 66
    Perhaps, since you're acting as his interpretive proxy...

Just saying how I read his comment.
  • Reply 53 of 66

Quote:

Just saying how I read his comment.

Yeah, just as I am saying saying how I read your comment.

• Reply 54 of 66

Quote:

What kind of newspapers do you read for your economic news? image

I don't read newspapers. I read the Internet. Honestly the only news about India making headlines here in the US is about the rape incident and perhaps some other conflict issues with Pakistan and the deportation of and execution of the terrorists responsible for last year's attack. I asked a question about the economy in India but Soli was the only one who provided any links. Do you have something else to contribute regarding the topic or not?

• Reply 55 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't read newspapers. I read the Internet. Honestly the only news about India making headlines here in the US is about the rape incident and perhaps some other conflict issues with Pakistan and the deportation of and execution of the terrorists responsible for last year's attack. I asked a question about the economy in India but Soli was the only one who provided any links. Do you have something else to contribute regarding the topic or not?

I would suggest finding some more news sources. When you look at all the developing countries and the impact they are likely to have on the world in coming decades, India is almost certainly #2 - right behind China. There is a lot of news about India if you search for it. Even popular papers like USA Today (and you can get it on the Internet) have articles about India.
  • Reply 56 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

What kind of newspapers do you read for your economic news? image

I don't read newspapers. I read the Internet. 

I've got news for you: all the newspapers are on the internet.

More seriously, just searching for "India GDP growth" under Google News brings up this big story from today's Wall Street Journal: "India Likely to Revise GDP Growth Forecast Higher" -- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324590904578291640814805504.html?mod=WSJINDIA_hps_LEFTTopWhatNews

I could give you dozens and dozens of stories along these lines.

• Reply 57 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I would suggest finding some more news sources. When you look at all the developing countries and the impact they are likely to have on the world in coming decades, India is almost certainly #2 - right behind China. There is a lot of news about India if you search for it. Even popular papers like USA Today (and you can get it on the Internet) have articles about India.

I admit I was being lazy. I should have searched for the information that I casually asked about in the forum. To refine my comment about reading Internet news, I usually read all the stories on the Google news page several times during the day. If I find something of particular interest I will search for additional stories but I haven't seen any India economic news on Google, ever really. Google is very region specific so I'm sure in India Google's news page has lots of information about India. Not so much in the US or Central America, the places where I live. 

Edit: I just searched the Google news section for the word India and there is not one story about the improving economic climate in India to be found in the first 5 pages of search results which is probably why I never see any economic news about India by default. Everything is about missiles and attacks, human rights and corruption. These are the typical stories we get in the US concerning India which in some part shapes my impressions of the region.

• Reply 58 of 66
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Looks like my messages here about trying to find Apple in India last year have been heeded. Apart from the excellent Apple shop (not an Apple Store) on MG road in Bangalore (I bought my copy of the Jobs biography there), Apple was hard to find.

Problem is, the Indian market is all little stores, the size of a cupboard, mostly selling the same stuff. That was particularly the case with the electronics market in Madurai. You really have to get your products into the hands of these guys, where everything is a special deal in order to get product into the hands of the masses in India.
  • Reply 59 of 66

Quote:

Edit: I just searched the Google news section for the word India and there is not one story about the improving economic climate in India to be found in the first 5 pages of search results ......

Nothing for 5 pages?! Give me a break.

I did the same, using "India GDP Growth" as the search term -- as I posted above -- and here's what I got (and the second one is the link I posted for you):

• Reply 60 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

Edit: I just searched the Google news section for the word India and there is not one story about the improving economic climate in India to be found in the first 5 pages of search results ......

Nothing for 5 pages?! Give me a break.

I did the same, using "India GDP Growth" as the search term -- as I posted above -- and here's what I got (and the second one is the link I posted for you):

I did not search for 'India GDP Growth'. I searched for just 'India'. Perhaps you missed that part of my post.

Funny when I search for my exact name I come out at the top of the search results.