New York Mag's BlackBerry 10 demo unit dies after only four days

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    What's up with the black bars at the top and bottom of the device?  That's in addition to the bezel.  Seems like a lot of wasted/non functional space.



     


    I think the Z10 actually looks better than the iPhone, which is riddled with numerous holes for the earpiece, proximity sensor, home button, etc.  Time for Apple to revise the design into something cleaner and more Apple-like.

  • Reply 22 of 92
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member


    deleted

  • Reply 23 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    macrulez wrote: »
    Time for a little editorial adjustment with the layout of the front page - currently the headline for this article is directly above:

    "Apple's iOS 6.1 reportedly causing 3G and battery issues for some iPhone users"

    If AppleInsider is going to devote space to hit pieces on products that have nothing to do with Apple, it would be less cringingly ironic if they weren't directly juxtaposed against headlines that paint a similarly dim view of Apple products.

    I like my iPhone but it's not like Apple hasn't had defective units before. If this type of failure with the Z10 becomes commonplace, then there might be an actual issue. Otherwise, it's just an unfortunate occurrence that is not representative of the brand/device.

    If New York magazine would like to make this into a bigger deal than it actually is, then it's just another example of sensationalism via poor writing and low credibility.

    The difference, of course, is that Apple has sold tens of millions of iPhones. Even at 99.9% reliability, there would be some failures.

    RIM has made a few hand-made, and hand checked units for special delivery to the press as samples. They presumably got more scrutiny than normal production devices.

    I agree that it doesn't mean a whole lot at this point, but pretending that an insignificant number of failures of Apple devices is the same thing is silly.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    Dude, relax.  You get pretty wrapped up in this. Don't blame the messenger - if you have a problem, it's with the editors at AppleInsider for running an anti-Apple headline on their front page.



     


    Don't blame the messenger?


     


    What kind of strange role are you imagining yourself in?

  • Reply 25 of 92
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    The dysfunctional attitude of some on this website is sad but hilarious to read.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member


    deleted

  • Reply 27 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Surely all consumer electronics have some that ship only to die a few days later for various reasons. There are simply too many complex components for this not to happen. Surely this isn't BlackBerry's nee RiM's first rodeo and they know they should thoroughly test their demo units before sending them off to be put through their paces.

    Has this happened to other CE demo units given to the tech writers for testing? If so, I can't recall reading about it. The closest I can recall is on AnandTech, but that has never been with [I]consumer[/I] electronics but with components like GPUs, SSD, and mother boards. They have noted other issues, like with cheap displays, but those aren't given to them by the vendor but instead purchased specifically for testing, hence not falling into the same category as a vendor supplied demo unit.

    I'm personally impressed with a lot of what I've seen with the BB10 so I'm hoping this was just a fluke. I'd like to think that BlackBerry has delayed the BB10 because it wanted to ship an overwhelmingly stable device. [I]Fingers crossed.[/I]
  • Reply 28 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,355member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post


     


    I think the Z10 actually looks better than the iPhone, which is riddled with numerous holes for the earpiece, proximity sensor, home button, etc.  Time for Apple to revise the design into something cleaner and more Apple-like.



     


    Uh, I honestly don't know whats more "Apple-like" than an iPhone- thats the epitome of Apple. Cleaner? When the iPhone was first introduced it was the cleanest looking device Apple had made, and every subsequent version has only gotten cleaner. "Riddled with holes"? I'm pretty sure the Z10 has just as many holes. And things like proximity sensors and earpieces all need holes, there's not a single phone without them. I wouldn't consider the home button a "hole", and thats not going anywhere anytime soon. Quite a bit of reaching in your post. 

  • Reply 29 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    the_steve wrote: »
    I think the Z10 actually looks better than the iPhone, which is riddled with numerous holes for the earpiece, proximity sensor, home button, etc.  Time for Apple to revise the design into something cleaner and more Apple-like.

    I can see how one would say it's cleaner as it does have a much simple look and feel, but is it a better design. Not look, but design? It has that executive look but like a lot of products designed to look sleek does that come at the expense of functionality. If BB can make a case for not having a physical Home Button I'm all for it but I'd wager that having a single, standard button that always takes you to the same place is valuable on a touchscreen device.

    Also, the high res images of the Z10 do make it look like it has the fit and finish of an Apple product. I will reserve final judgement until I can handle it myself but Apple's manufacturing process is looking superior at this point.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Yes, and there are people who never have issues with iOS 6 Maps, but you never hear about it. Just the sensational stuff gets repeated on blogs.


     


    One only has to refer to RIM's past history, specifically the Storm (read the comments here) to know just what insurmountable odds the Z10 is up against, if RIM is to have any hope of recapturing their lost marketshare.


     


    There is no room for errors like this, after the Storm debacle.

  • Reply 31 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I can see how one would say it's cleaner as it does have a much simple look and feel, but is it a better design. Not look, but design? It has that executive look but like a lot of products designed to look sleek does that come at the expense of functionality. If BB can make a case for not having a physical Home Button I'm all for it but I'd wager that having a single, standard button that always takes you to the same place is valuable on a touchscreen device.



    Also, the high res images of the Z10 do make it look like it has the fit and finish of an Apple product. I will reserve final judgement until I can handle it myself but Apple's manufacturing process is looking superior at this point.


    I think it looks better than the S3 but the iPhone 5 still gives off more of a premium feel for me.  Seems like a lot of wastes space with the Z10.  A fairly wide bezel plus the plastic bars on the top and bottom.  I'm assuming they're there for a reason but its hard to tell what for just by looking at the device.


     


  • Reply 32 of 92
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    One only has to refer to RIM's past history, specifically the Storm (read the comments here) to know just what insurmountable odds the Z10 is up against, if RIM is to have any hope of recapturing their lost marketshare.


     


    There is no room for errors like this, after the Storm debacle.



    Sorry hill60, They can only hope to recapture a small percentage of what they once had. They are way behind the eight ball - dev support ? Hell, I dunno - maybe someone else can comment.


     


    100% agree - no room for errors. Last throw of the dice for them.

  • Reply 33 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I think it looks better than the S3 but the iPhone 5 still gives off more of a premium feel for me.  Seems like a lot of wastes space with the Z10.  A fairly wide bezel plus the plastic bars on the top and bottom.  I'm assuming they're there for a reason but its hard to tell what for just by looking at the device.

    [image]

    Wow! I hadn't realized the bezel was so big. The plastic/rubber rim between the display and casing are common to make manufacturing cheaper and simpler but it does make it look less "premium" as you say. Love or hate Apple no what device you choose you have to thank them for pulling the stagnant smartphone industry out of the dark ages.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    robm wrote: »
    Sorry hill60, They can only hope to recapture a small percentage of what they once had. They are way behind the eight ball - dev support ? Hell, I dunno - maybe someone else can comment.

    They have 70k apps, which is great, but they don't seem to have the right apps. There are some staples I think you need to have from the start, even if you need to pay to have them developed, if you want your ecosystem to be successful.

    They are allow working on allowing Android apps to run on the device. I assume it's just a compatible Java runtime which I hope won't affect performance. I guess that could help tremendously but this didn't work out too well for them last time.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    So it just behaved like all the blackberrys I had before: numerous crashes and at the end died.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member


    ahh - thanks, Sol.


    If android apps can run then they have chance, maybe.


     


    Interesting how we consider what a device or b device represents in its totality these days.


    The amount of resources a company needs to dedicate to ongoing support to a device these days is also a huge factor.


    Not sure if they can do it - time will tell.


    Personally I'd be happy to see them grab a heap of the android market share, if they can keep it stable. People demand so much from their phones now that Apple has benchmarked it - man, I dunno.


    The market will speak I guess.

  • Reply 37 of 92


    This should come as no surprise, unlike the iPhone, BlackBerries are not rectal vibrators. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!!!

  • Reply 38 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Wow! I hadn't realized the bezel was so big. The plastic/rubber rim between the display and casing are common to make manufacturing cheaper and simpler but it does make it look less "premium" as you say. Love or hate Apple no what device you choose you have to thank them for pulling the stagnant smartphone industry out of the dark ages.


    Seems to me these days if someone has a design that's not butt ugly it immediately gets compared to Apple.  I'm sorry but just because something isn't ugly doesn't mean it's as good as Apple.  I've seen close up pics of the Z10 and I don't think it's on par with Apple design at all.  My iPhone 5 has incredibly tight tolerances.  There's very few phones, if any that compare.  So many people raved about the Lumia 920 design.  I played around with one at Best Buy and it was a turnoff because it was so bulky. Yet it didn't have any sort of premium feel to it. It felt very plasticky.  Aesthetically it might look nice but when you hold it in your hand it feels cheap.  At least it does to me. Can't say the same about the iPhone 5 or 5th gen iPod touch.

  • Reply 39 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post


    One would think RIM would be providing ringers to the press - just to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen.  It will be interesting to see what percentage of failure per handset they end up having.



    Maybe this phone was a ringer... the best of the best... 


     


    The comment in the story where "there were multiple software issues including numerous crashes" got my attention... sounds like the OS is still in beta; barely out of alpha. 


  • Reply 40 of 92

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post


     


    I think the Z10 actually looks better than the iPhone, which is riddled with numerous holes for the earpiece, proximity sensor, home button, etc.  Time for Apple to revise the design into something cleaner and more Apple-like.



     


    Hahahaha...your post made me laugh. Apple makes a phone with the least number of openings and gets blasted because there's not a hole to change out the battery, or another to add more memory. and dam Apple for not having a USB port or two. 

Sign In or Register to comment.