Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178

Still not a sellout at Canada's Microsoft store as of 8:30 p.m. MDT.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.264843900

And Staples here in Canada didn't get any.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Tablets/cat_CL200622_2-CA_1_20001#filterList=[60084]&viewDetails='listView'

• Reply 22 of 178

I love the reversal... just like you buy a Mac to do actual work (where the average joe can get by with a PC) and you pay a premium for it - Now we turn to Microsoft for a Tablet that is an actual computer (one for the talented people who can not survive on 0.99 Fart Apps) and the average untalented goes and gets an iPad.

And just like when PC users held the sales figures over the Mac users - so will the iPad users point at the mass sales of the iPad over the Surface - But just like a windows PC, what is geared to the common always sells more - so not a surprise.

Sad how things flip. 

Anyway, we have 2 on order at the office - It would have been a pain in the past, but with Adobe new subscription plan we can use either PC or Mac software - it will have to do until Apple comes up with an actual tablet.

• Reply 23 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Still not a sellout at Canada's Microsoft store as of 8:30 p.m. MDT.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.264843900

And Staples here in Canada didn't get any.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Tablets/cat_CL200622_2-CA_1_20001#filterList=[60084]&viewDetails='listView'

Also, checkout Best Buy/Future Shop in Canada. Look at all those Surface faRT toys still available.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/windows-8-tablets/31040.aspx?path=b9391d439de4616a2eb60e2567176d38en01

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/windows-tablets/31088.aspx?path=6d56ed26a8e2432d145864a8ee45cd37en01

• Reply 24 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

I love the reversal... just like you buy a Mac to do actual work (where the average joe can get by with a PC) and you pay a premium for it - Now we turn to Microsoft for a Tablet that is an actual computer (one for the talented people who can not survive on 0.99 Fart Apps) and the average untalented goes and gets an iPad.

And just like when PC users held the sales figures over the Mac users - so will the iPad users point at the mass sales of the iPad over the Surface - But just like a windows PC, what is geared to the common always sells more - so not a surprise.

Sad how things flip. 

Anyway, we have 2 on order at the office - It would have been a pain in the past, but with Adobe new subscription plan we can use either PC or Mac software - it will have to do until Apple comes up with an actual tablet.

Actual tablet? Yeah sure...NOT!! The Surface tries to be both a tablet and a PC and is half-assed in both ways!! As for Windows 8, hey AOL called and wants their desktop back. The Surface hardware looks like a brick and has a fan? LOL I guess a person could use the heat it generates with the fan to warm up a room when it gets cool. Actual tablet...what the F is an actual tablet?

• Reply 25 of 178
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

I doubt that people of any real talent are wishing for a Surface. I'm talented enough to know that I would never in a million years be interested in such a lame concept, a concept which is obviously doomed from the start. It's not like Microsoft hasn't tried something similar before.

Most talented people use Macs. Windows is mostly for uncreative and boring people who work uninspiring 9 to 5 jobs in a dreary office.

• Reply 26 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    agramonte wrote: »

Sad how things flip. 

1) So The Surface is for work and the iPad is for play is the trollish mantra you want to now claim?

2) If fart apps have made it difficult for you to do any real work on an iPad then you need to look at yourself to see why you've only chosen to download and use fart apps.

3) "PC" users never held sales figures over Mac users, it was installed base of a multiple vendor OS v. Macs.

4) Completely ignoring that Apple's Mac line takes in over 1/3 of all PC profits in the world lets consider the comparison you have made. You are putting the Surfaces up against the iPad with an implication that things have flipped. I suppose it's not impossible but do you really think it's likely the iPad will stop being used in favor of all most tablets being Surfaces? I certainly don't think so.

5) Good luck with your actual tablets. I'm sure those Adobe's subscriptions will work great with your fingers not to mention those killer specs for running Adobe's Creative Suite.
  • Reply 27 of 178
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I doubt that people of any real talent are wishing for a Surface. I'm talented enough to know that I would never in a million years be interested in such a lame concept, a concept which is obviously doomed from the start. It's not like Microsoft hasn't tried something similar before.

Most talented people use Macs. Windows is mostly for uncreative and boring people who work uninspiring 9 to 5 jobs in a dreary office.

really....Apple products are being adapted by corporate America.....not just the creative types but by all job classifications. This is a good thing.....

• Reply 28 of 178
    Dude no one is going shopping in the 2nd weekend of February -- except in Asia if course. Didn't Microsoft break out sales to Asian markets? Seems like a good opportunity to gradually eamo to Xmas 2014. Dot dot dot.
  • Reply 29 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

really....Apple products are being adapted by corporate America.....not just the creative types but by all job classifications. This is a good thing.....

You're correct, and I fully agree. I also agree that it's a good thing.

Creative types have always loved Macs, but you're right, Apple's products are being adopted by everybody now. Creative types still love Macs and Apple products of course.

• Reply 30 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Actual tablet? Yeah sure...NOT!! The Surface tries to be both a tablet and a PC and is half-assed in both ways!! As for Windows 8, hey AOL called and wants their desktop back. The Surface hardware looks like a brick and has a fan? LOL I guess a person could use the heat it generates with the fan to warm up a room when it gets cool. Actual tablet...what the F is an actual tablet?

If you do not get why some are willing to put up with a fan, just to get a tablet that at a minimum tries to be a PC - Apple makes iOS for you.

Just like Macs are not for everyone, neither is this. Being able to load any Font I wish is worth putting up with a Fan... Oh, when I was a junior designer back in 2001 the studio gave me a Powerbook Ti... I'm sure I can deal with whatever heat this generates.

• Reply 31 of 178

Quote:

most talented people use OSX... please lets not confuse that with an iPad

• Reply 32 of 178

Quote:

most talented people use OSX... please lets not confuse that with an iPad

I use both OSX and iOS, and they're each good for certain purposes. 

The fact that iOS is not fully featured like OSX is what makes the iPad so great. Had Apple first released the iPad running a full OS X, it would have been a disaster, IMO.

• Reply 33 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So The Surface is for work and the iPad is for play is the trollish mantra you want to now claim?

2) If fart apps have made it difficult for you to do any real work on an iPad then you need to look at yourself to see why you've only chosen to download and use fart apps.

3) "PC" users never held sales figures over Mac users, it was installed base of a multiple vendor OS v. Macs.

4) Completely ignoring that Apple's Mac line takes in over 1/3 of all PC profits in the world lets consider the comparison you have made. You are putting the Surfaces up against the iPad with an implication that things have flipped. I suppose it's not impossible but do you really think it's likely the iPad will stop being used in favor of all most tablets being Surfaces? I certainly don't think so.

5) Good luck with your actual tablets. I'm sure those Adobe's subscriptions will work great with your fingers not to mention those killer specs for running Adobe's Creative Suite.

1) If you think an iPad is for work, well - not much can be done about that.

2) I'm sure that the "limited" can feel that there is such a thing as non fart apps for an ipad (just like to some Crayons are art supplies) but I would disagree

3) Really?... that is just nonsense.

4) You missed the "geared to the common" part of my statement.

5) you did see that it comes with a full sensitive stylus (you never seen a mac being used with a Wacom?) and it is a PC so any mouse will work - I did not know you needed an i7 quad core to run Indesign, photoshop and code sites... oh wait, you do not... what you do need is an OS... so glad that the specs for specs sake has trickled down from the PC world.

• Reply 34 of 178

They sold out of all two dozens already?

• Reply 35 of 178

Quote:

I use both OSX and iOS, and they're each good for certain purposes. 

The fact that iOS is not fully featured like OSX is what makes the iPad so great. Had Apple first released the iPad running a full OS X, it would have been a disaster, IMO.

Let me pu it to you this way - I use crayons and Oil pastels - but I understand one is not the other. 

I'm sorry, but I must think more of Apple - I think they should be able to make a full featured OSX tablet and not be a disaster.

• Reply 36 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    2) I'm sure that the "limited" can feel that there is such a thing as non fart apps for an ipad (just like to some Crayons are art supplies) but I would disagree
    3) Really?... that is just nonsense.
    4) You missed the "geared to the common" part of my statement.
    5) you id see that it comes with a full sensitive stylus and it is a PC so any mouse will work? - I did not know you needed an i7 quad core to run Indesign, photoshop and code sites... oh wait, you do not... what you do need is an OS

Not even one reasonable rebuttal. :no:
  • Reply 37 of 178

Quote:

Let me pu it to you this way - I use crayons and Oil pastels - but I understand one is not the other. 

I'm sorry, but I must think more of Apple - I think they should be able to make a full featured OSX tablet and not be a disaster.

And I'm pretty sure that most people who use iPads understand that it's not a powerful desktop or laptop, that's why I use all of the above.

• Reply 38 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not even one reasonable rebuttal. image

really... oh well, I guess different minds do not think a like.

• Reply 39 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

As an aside, why would you think Surface is for work? MS has told the public Surface is a toy. Case in point: they used an entertainment group to dance while clicking and trading brightly colored rubber keyboards while not showing the device in any kind of actual work. Even with the initial Surface announcement, the only thing they showed us is the keyboard clicking and how proud they were in the fact their keyboard could click.

I'm skeptical about your Adobe subscription, that's an intense suite of apps on a very tiny screen with a weak processor and very little space to begin with for media and the software.

You telling us iOS is about fart aps is basically you telling us you're a troll. An out of touch one at that, why haven't you updated your trolling talking points?
  • Reply 40 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As an aside, why would you think Surface is for work? MS has told the public Surface is a toy. Case in point: they used an entertainment group to dance while clicking and trading brightly colored rubber keyboards while not showing the device in any kind of actual work.

You telling us iOS is about fart aps is basically you telling us you're a troll. An out of touch one at that, why haven't you updated your trolling talking points?

jesus, it is a the day when a person is a troll in the Apple community for pointing out that iOS is a toy geared to the common. Glad I work with people who think otherwise.

I think Surface with all its limitation has more of a hope of being a productivity station over an iPad any day of the week... It is not at the level of a MAC but it is for sure above an iPad.