Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178

The situation at the Bellevue MSFT store is pretty bad. Only 2 Surface Pro demo there, with the rest Surface RT. There's constantly people checking on the Surface Pro but never really a 'line' formed ever. Probably because they sold out, but it's still alarming that so few people are checking on the new product that claims to be 'selling out in a few hours'. 

• Reply 42 of 178

We sold 50% of our stock in the first 3 hours, now we only have one left.

Seriously though the Surface pro was dead in the water from the off. It's a completely new category of product and it's not one that people will want in any significant numbers. 

It is clearly a well made well designed quality piece of equipment and you have to give MS some kudos for that, however for those that want a tablet, it's far too clunky and as a laptop you'd be better off with a laptop. As for the people who want both and want them in the same unit, as I said that is a market that is not going to raise this product from the grave.

Might be a good investment for your museum collection of failed MS devices. It does make one wonder though if they can make a product this well then perhaps they could have made an insanely greate laptop and an insanely great tablet and become the Apple of Android devices. 

• Reply 43 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    agramonte wrote: »
    jesus, it is a the day when a person is a troll in the Apple community for pointing out that iOS is a toy geared to the common. Glad I work with people who think otherwise.

You act like no one else has told us this before. Using a troll's talking points from 2006 is not the way to do it, it just marks you as a lazy troll. It just takes coming up with something original to say than a woefully outdated and overused quip.

I think Surface with all its limitation has more of a hope of being a productivity station over an iPad any day of the week...

In one sense, I agree. However, using a full Adobe app on a 10" touch screen is more a prescription of suffering than doing anything useful.

It is not at the level of a MAC but it is for sure above an iPad.

You're right in a sense, iPad is very much not a Mac, but a 10" finger touch screen trying to run desktop apps meant for large screens and mice (or a stylus tablet) is really a prescription for frustration, you're best off waiting until the apps you want are at least ported or adapted to the interface. The mismatch between technologies and interfaces types are too great. Apple doesn't pretend that one UI fits all classes of devices. MS should have learned from their experience making Windows Phone look like the Windows Desktop, but it appears they haven't.

I really doubt you're Mac user, because MAC means something else entirely in the computer world. It's not that hard.
  • Reply 44 of 178
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

we know this device is DOA if MS does not then fire that person...its not the future.

• Reply 45 of 178

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

1) If you think an iPad is for work, well - not much can be done about that.

2) I'm sure that the "limited" can feel that there is such a thing as non fart apps for an ipad (just like to some Crayons are art supplies) but I would disagree

3) Really?... that is just nonsense.

4) You missed the "geared to the common" part of my statement.

5) you did see that it comes with a full sensitive stylus (you never seen a mac being used with a Wacom?) and it is a PC so any mouse will work - I did not know you needed an i7 quad core to run Indesign, photoshop and code sites... oh wait, you do not... what you do need is an OS... so glad that the specs for specs sake has trickled down from the PC world.

At some point you'll want to come up with an actual argument.

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

jesus, it is a the day when a person is a troll in the Apple community for pointing out that iOS is a toy geared to the common. 

This is the day when a person is a troll for believing it in the first place. Pretend you're "pointing things" out all you want. It's just funny.

Glad I work with people who think otherwise.

7 billion people in the world; I guess it makes sense there's more than one completely clueless one.

• Reply 46 of 178
    not that i'm defending the Surface Pro but changing the headline to...

"Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Xbox did in 2001"

totally changes the perspective. Just saying.
  • Reply 47 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

not that i'm defending the Surface Pro but changing the headline to...

"Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Xbox did in 2001"

totally changes the perspective. Just saying.

I'm sure that at some point we'll find out which version is closest to the mark.

• Reply 48 of 178
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Of course it's sold out when you only manufacture 14 of them. And those 14 people will probably return them when they realize just how screwed they were.

If you have a point that stands on its own, it doesn't require exaggeration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't believe a single thing that any of those other ball-less companies say or claim. Show me the proof or STFU.

As much as I find your rants amusing, I'm more curious what they'll sell over the quarter, and if returns will factor heavily here. They may have expected soft demand. That would be somewhat more interesting.

• Reply 49 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I can't see it being super-popular, it's more like something an enthusiast would use, with it's convertible mode and attachable bits and pieces. That kind of thing is off-putting to the average punter. But time will tell.

• Reply 50 of 178
    Apple II wrote: »
    I use both OSX and iOS, and they're each good for certain purposes. 

The fact that iOS is not fully featured like OSX is what makes the iPad so great. Had Apple first released the iPad running a full OS X, it would have been a disaster, IMO.
    Damn straight. Before the iPad was unveiled, I couldn't understand what the big fuss was about the rumored new Apple tablet. What I really wanted was a MacBook Air to complement my iMac. After I saw the iPad was running the same OS as an iPhone, it clicked for me, and I instantly wanted (and got) one. I haven't looked back since. If the iPad was running OSX (either full or watered down version) I would be typing this post on a MacBook Air instead.
  • Reply 51 of 178

If you have to degrade other posters in your comments, what does that say about the strength of your arguments? I have a dear friend that waited 3 hours to get one (not sure what size), and she is thrilled. I am thrilled for her. I have already made my purchase decisions, owning too many Apple products as it is. She's happy, I'm happy. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they're wrong.......

• Reply 52 of 178
    ascii wrote: »
    I can't see it being super-popular, it's more like something an enthusiast would use, with it's convertible mode and attachable bits and pieces. That kind of thing is off-putting to the average punter. But time will tell.

I see it as a niche device not an as an all purpose computing device. Unfortunately what MS considers no compromise is just compromising everything I care about so it can lazily still use their Windows OS on a 10" tablet display. I'm sure there are people that this fits exactly their need but I doubt it's very big and I wonder if it's sustainable at that price point when there are convertible Ultrabooks that appear to be much better all around.
  • Reply 53 of 178
    In other news: everyone at a local Best Buy inhaled at the same time; store out of oxygen for approximately 5 seconds.

So if you're holding your breath while waiting for the Surface "[variant of the week]" to become anything more than another tombstone at Redmond Memorial
    Gardens... Well, good luck! That (lack of) battery life renders it DOA. I'd rather buy a real laptop, Mac OR (heaven help me) Windoze.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    That (lack of) battery life renders it DOA. I'd rather buy a real laptop, Mac OR (heaven help me) Windoze.

For a tablet the battery life sucks but if you compare it to the 11" MBA it does well. It's a schizophrenic device at best but when you look at the battery as a component I think you also need to look at the other components which puts it squarely up against the 11" MBA.
  • Reply 55 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They must have been giving something away to the first 100 people or some sort of way to buy people to show up.  I was at the local Best Buy and there was NO ONE that was checking out the Surface Pro, so I think any attraction was done at Microsoft stores where they do something to attract people.

They probably thought it was the Surface RT, now thicker, heavier, and with a shorter battery life. I mean, at first glance.

...which is probably all they'll get.

• Reply 56 of 178

Are you so insecure that you need to keep repeating the same BS?

The Surface Pro is a different class of device.  The Surface RT was also a different type of device.

Didn’t Apple have an Ad campaign called “Think Different”?

I have a iPad gen 1, a iPad gen 3, a Samsung Series 7 Slate, Nooks, Kindles, and a Surface RT.

Ever since getting my Surface RT, I have used my iPad less and less each week.  The letterbox aspect ratio, Flash Player and kickstand make it the best device to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Watch, and etc…  Having a memory expansion slot to put a 64GB memory card into, a USB port to add a better keyboard\mouse into, and a HDMI port make it a great travel device… And it has Office built in!

Can my iPad do that? No.

Now the Surface Pro is another “different” device.

Microsoft uses the Surface Pro’s hard drive to store it “recovery disk”.  If you remove the “recovery disk”, the Surface Pro has more free disk space than a MacBook Air 11” 64GB or 128GB model.  The Surface Pro has a better screen than the MacBook Air 11”.  The Surface Pro has the battery life that is similar to a MacBook Air 11”.  It has a display port adapter, a USB 3 port, a MicroSD slot, and a mysterious adapter that could allow an external battery or more…

But the Surface Pro also has a digitized Pen with several levels of pressure sensitivity.  So Creative people can load their favorite Wacom driven tool on the Surface Pro and have tons of creative fun…

Come on people think different.. 

• Reply 57 of 178
    Microsoft uses the Surface Pro’s hard drive to store it “recovery disk”.  If you remove the “recovery disk”, the Surface Pro has more free disk space than a MacBook Air 11” 64GB or 128GB model.

The only way the Surface has more free space than a comparably sized MBA is if you remove partitions from the Surface but do nothing with the MBA which comes with many GBs of included apps that are not part of the OS. Surface Pro doesn't even come with MS Office. Bottom line is OS X is much, much smaller than Windows 8.

PS: Watch this video to see what Steve Jobs has to say about being different. I'd recommend in the future you don't use ad campaigns as models for governing your life. Instead of think different you may want to start with think for yourself.]
    • (may have to enable CC to see hear what the guy asks)

<sub>SUB</sub>PS: The whole video is great and really shows a clear focus that Steve and Tim have and are steering Apple toward.
  • Reply 58 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You act like no one else has told us this before. Using a troll's talking points from 2006 is not the way to do it, it just marks you as a lazy troll. It just takes coming up with something original to say than a woefully outdated and overused quip.

In one sense, I agree. However, using a full Adobe app on a 10" touch screen is more a prescription of suffering than doing anything useful.

You're right in a sense, iPad is very much not a Mac, but a 10" finger touch screen trying to run desktop apps meant for large screens and mice (or a stylus tablet) is really a prescription for frustration, you're best off waiting until the apps you want are at least ported or adapted to the interface.

The mismatch between technologies and interfaces types are too great. Apple doesn't pretend that one UI fits all classes of devices. MS should have learned from their experience making Windows Phone look like the Windows Desktop, but it appears they haven't.

I really doubt you're Mac user, because MAC means something else entirely in the computer world. It's not that hard.

No, it is something that will be continued to be said over and over gain - and labeling those who say it as simple trolls is not only idiotic but ineffective unless you are 12

I did 2 years at SNK as a digital retoucher -  I think I can make Adobe work on a 10 inch screen running 1920X1080 (specially with a full sensitive stylus built in) - without the need of having it dumb down to touch. call me crazy

No, I  just represent the macintosh user who was arrogant not because they had a shinny expensive piece of electronics under their arm but because of what they made with it - That is what Mac has always ment in a company - something an iOS user will never understand.

• Reply 59 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by novarunner0105 View Post

But the Surface Pro also has a digitized Pen with several levels of pressure sensitivity.  So Creative people can load their favorite Wacom driven tool on the Surface Pro and have tons of creative fun…

Come on people think different.. 

I have a real Intuos 5 Touch for that, along with a Mac Pro that can handle the large RAW DSLR files from my camera. I edit on a 30" monitor. In the field, a 13" MBA, but only in Lightroom 4. My iPad 4 has several drawing programs that are pressure sensitive using my Pogo Sketch pen. I think I have creative fun covered...

• Reply 60 of 178

Windows 8 is smaller... And has more... Do your homework... Surface Pro has Hyper-V....  and all of the other Win8 Pro features...  Yes.. a Surface Pro does not come with Office... But a MBA 11" does not come with Office...  During the last 5+ years Windows has been modernized and optimized more than OS X.  Win8 is smaller than Win7 which is smaller than Vista.  Is Mt Lion smaller than Lion? Or Snow Leopard?  Yes the Surface Pro has a recovery partition to allow a user to easily reset their device... Does the MBA 11" come with a recovery USB drive or does it require a phone home download?  My friend's $$$ MBP 15" did not come with a recovery partition or a recovery USB...  Think Different....