Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

The people who need to wake and smell the coffe are the ones who think the Tablet is going to stay in the Silly iOS and Android Mickey Mouse world it is in today. 

You say iOS can't run full legacy software applications - I say legacy software applications that don't have mobile versions are the real problem.  You want a desktop or laptop experience on a tablet or smartphone - when the desktop/laptop experience does not work well on a tablet, hence the need for scaling and adding peripheral devices, which leads back to the fact that what you're really looking for is a better laptop experience - not some damned frankenstein creation that is part tablet (sort of, but not really) and part laptop (sort of, but not really).

• Reply 122 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

It was Microsoft's answer to the IPod, and despite all the hate, a really good music player.  It was actually leaps beyond even what Apple and anyone else had out at the time.  It obviously never caught on.

Or not.

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/07/zune-tattoo-guy/

• Reply 123 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

c|net already has stories up about how the Surface will force Apple to create an "iPad pro" to compete.  Even though we have no information on sales or returns for Surface. image

Please. Don't ever mention that MS fanboy site again.

• Reply 124 of 178
    I think it will do well for its target audience. If OEMs can find a way to lower the price on these the concept may take off down the road. Me personally I do not see spending that much on on a screen that small, but I am not the target audience either.
  • Reply 125 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Partially true. Partially false. I know several professional photographers now using te iPad for all of their field work. In several cases, the final supplied art work supplied to clients for magazine publication/web work was 100% done on the iPad.

Saying iOS is only a toy and supporting it with fart app memes points to you being unimagineative or a troll. Yes, I use Windows, iOS and OS X. I use all three for real and productive work though iOS is a much better consumption device than OS X or Windows.

Yes, but non of the things I mentioned above. I have a Jot Touch I use with Procreate and it is fine - but compared to my Mac and a Wacom it is a toy - every things value is dependent on what you compare it to.

Yes!, iOS is a better consumption device over OSX and Windows - and Windows and OSX make for a Better productivity device over iOS. It is that simple.

• Reply 126 of 178

Quote:

The people who need to wake and smell the coffe are the ones who think the Tablet is going to stay in the Silly iOS and Android Mickey Mouse world it is in today. 

The on contrary.

The people who need to wake and smell the coffee are the ones who think the Tablet is going to stay in the stale Windows Tablet PC world it was in since the 1990s. Silly and and Micky are the next generation.

• Reply 127 of 178
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

good job by DED skewering the MS fans desperately clutching at straws once again to hype yet another misbegotten MS Windows Everywhere fantasy.

let's look at the scorecard for the year ...

MS Great (much hyped by web pundits) Windows 8 New Era 2012-13:

Windows 8 OS - Despite channel stuffing license "shipments" to OEM's, actual sales are worse than Vista, even after huge 50%-75% upgrade discounts for months (now ending). near total avoidance by businesses, and consumer PC sales have nosedived. A Big Flop, so bad that it is accelerating consumers adoption of tablets as a PC alternative.

XBox - New focus of MS ecosystem, but nearing end of life, and sales remain depressed (like all game consoles) due to tablet competition. Stuck In Niche

Windows Phone 8 - Despite all-in commitment by powerful Nokia, sales are modest at best, adding only a few % to Windows smartphone market share. Going Nowhere.

Surface RT Tablet - Supposedly major iPad rival, now proven DOA. Total Fail.

Surface Pro Tablet - All-in-one Windows miss-mash, combining the limitations of a tablet with the limitations of a notebook, at a high price to boot. Dead Man Walking.

Overall web pundit reaction to all this? MS is innovating the future! and Wall Street likes MS strategy, it likes it a lot.

now let's look at Apple ...

Apple's 2012 Product Cycle:

OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - popular, with Mac computer sales continuing modest growth (despite overall PC market decline). A Hit.

iPhone 5 - Refreshed hardware setting record sales. Huge Hit.

Apple TV - Key extension of Apple ecosystem, "hobby" product sales continue to increase steadily (actually outselling XBox). Going Someplace.

iPad Mini - New mid-size model is very popular. Big Hit.

iPad - Updated model continues to sell well. Solid.

Overall pundit reaction to all this? Apple has gone stale and is in trouble! and Wall Street trashes its stock.

do we see a pattern here?

• Reply 128 of 178

Quote:

My God man, what do you mean by "silly Mickey Mouse world" ?

Have you seen the A6 SoC bench marks?

Do really understand the iOS architecture? Its frameworks and development tools?

I honestly don't think you have actually used an iPad yet, not to mention an iPhone or an Apple TV or the iOS ecosystem.

The world of computing continues to change...  Wake up and smell the coffee.  You may like it.

• Reply 129 of 178

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a blog posting earlier today, the company didn't report how many units of the new Surface Pro it had sold, or even had shipped to stores, ...

Looking forward to hearing how many Surface Pros were actually sold in the first few days.  Apple always reports big new product sales numbers just days after their releases.

Are the Surface RT and Surface Pro sustainable product lines?  

Or technological collectors' items destined for the Museum of Failed Technology?

Got something to hide, Ballmer?  Is the word "moderate" getting worn out in Redmond?

• Reply 130 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please. Don't ever mention that MS fanboy site again.

Sometimes I wonder how much MS pays them to pimp it's stuff.  c|net and ZDNET are clearly the most pro-MS tech sites out there.

• Reply 131 of 178
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how many Surface Pros were actually sold in the first few days.  Apple always reports big new product sales numbers just days after their releases.

Are the Surface RT and Surface Pro sustainable products lines?  
    Or just technological collectors' items destined for the Museum of Failed Technology?

Got something to hide, Ballmer?  Is the word "moderate" getting worn out in Redmond?

I don't expect to get an actual number. I would expect some fluff about how it's off to a great start and that all or most retail outlets sold out almost right away.
  • Reply 132 of 178
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Certainly not Apple numbers but no one expected that, especially from a device that starts at $999.

I say good job. Regardless of how many they made selling out looks good here. For MS's sake they will have sold enough units to actually report on that figure but chances are come Monday morning they will only report on how quickly it sold out.

I need to remember that promise then delay of 9 months for the white iPhone 4 the next time someone claims that the iMac delays would have never happened if Steve Jobs were alive. At least Apple meet their promised shipping times for both iMac sizes.

The white iPhone delay is due to a design flaw.  It should never be compared here.

• Reply 133 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

You say iOS can't run full legacy software applications - I say legacy software applications that don't have mobile versions are the real problem.  You want a desktop or laptop experience on a tablet or smartphone - when the desktop/laptop experience does not work well on a tablet, hence the need for scaling and adding peripheral devices, which leads back to the fact that what you're really looking for is a better laptop experience - not some damned frankenstein creation that is part tablet (sort of, but not really) and part laptop (sort of, but not really).

No wrong again - I need a mobile device so I can edit work done on a non mobile device. You think I go to the office and sit infront of a 15 inch laptop to do design? you think our marketing department hangs out on macbook Airs down the hall? You think we do layouts on Apple Pages? that every Implementation Manual from our clients can be met with Helvetica and Palatino?

We have mobile devices so when edits come to the Annual Report at the time you are sitting at an airport, they can still get done before you get on (or during the flight) - I do not need a great laptop experience at that point, I need a full software package and corporate font set. If it has limitation so be it - but there is still a full OS. A 2lb, 10 inch 1920X1080 tablet with windows and a full feature stylus sounds great to me.

This is how it works, this is what technology is - I used to think my Pismo was amazing, I know look at it (still at the office closet, and still works after 12 years) next to my Air just to get a laugh on where we used to be. I for one think I will someday put my air next to a full featured tablet, just to get a laugh on where we used to be. iOS is not that tablet

• Reply 134 of 178
    tzeshan wrote: »
    The white iPhone delay is due to a design flaw.  It should never be compared here.

Clearly there was some flaw with part of the design that prevented it from being manufactured but why does Steve Job get a pass and Tim Cook gets vilified with posters like cameronj calling for Tim Cook's head on a platter for product that did ship on time.
  • Reply 135 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

My God man, what do you mean by "silly Mickey Mouse world" ?

Have you seen the A6 SoC bench marks?

Do really understand the iOS architecture? Its frameworks and development tools?

I honestly don't think you have actually used an iPad yet, not to mention an iPhone or an Apple TV or the iOS ecosystem.

The world of computing continues to change...  Wake up and smell the coffee.  You may like it.

What are you talking about? the development tools are in OSX - you need a computer to tap into the iOS architecture. You think Apps are designed on an iPad?

The A6 SoC bench marks are pushing a mobile OS that does not even have a true File system - and a subsystem that suspends background activities. If you think ARM is a viable architecture for computing outside the mobile world at this point you are delusional.

no, you just seem not to have made anything for an iPad yet - or been in an environment where you need to make things for a greater standard - where a PDF is not considered a print ready file.

• Reply 136 of 178
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

I love the reversal... just like you buy a Mac to do actual work (where the average joe can get by with a PC) and you pay a premium for it - Now we turn to Microsoft for a Tablet that is an actual computer (one for the talented people who can not survive on 0.99 Fart Apps) and the average untalented goes and gets an iPad.

And just like when PC users held the sales figures over the Mac users - so will the iPad users point at the mass sales of the iPad over the Surface - But just like a windows PC, what is geared to the common always sells more - so not a surprise.

Sad how things flip. 

Anyway, we have 2 on order at the office - It would have been a pain in the past, but with Adobe new subscription plan we can use either PC or Mac software - it will have to do until Apple comes up with an actual tablet.

What is better for you to use the Surface for work instead of a PC laptop?  

• Reply 137 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Quote:

I love the reversal... just like you buy a Mac to do actual work (where the average joe can get by with a PC) and you pay a premium for it - Now we turn to Microsoft for a Tablet that is an actual computer (one for the talented people who can not survive on 0.99 Fart Apps) and the average untalented goes and gets an iPad.

And just like when PC users held the sales figures over the Mac users - so will the iPad users point at the mass sales of the iPad over the Surface - But just like a windows PC, what is geared to the common always sells more - so not a surprise.

Sad how things flip. 

Anyway, we have 2 on order at the office - It would have been a pain in the past, but with Adobe new subscription plan we can use either PC or Mac software - it will have to do until Apple comes up with an actual tablet.

What is better for you to use the Surface for work instead of a PC laptop?  

Are you expecting a serious answer from this guy? image

• Reply 138 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    agramonte wrote: »
    The A6 SoC bench marks are pushing a mobile OS that does not even have a true File system

It absolutely does and has since day one.
  • Reply 139 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    But that might contradict MS's positioning of the "Surface Pro" as a fully-functional PC in tablet/touch form.

Also, as an aside, I am generally suspicious of apps with the suffix 'light' ('lite') attached to the name.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. "Office Light" (or, if you don't like 'light', call it "Office Mobile") would be for Surface RT, Android, and iOS. It would not be for Surface Pro - which can run the full Office.
  • Reply 140 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Partially true. Partially false. I know several professional photographers now using te iPad for all of their field work. In several cases, the final supplied art work supplied to clients for magazine publication/web work was 100% done on the iPad.

They must work for the "Penny Saver". It is kind of risky sending off photos to a "magazine" which presumably prints on gloss stock, without converting to CMYK and sampling your ink densities and doing some under color removal if necessary. Always better to drop a PSD file into a layout program and export as a PDFX from which you make an Epson color proof. That is the way the professionals I know work. Web work, although very cumbersome to do on an iPad, at least if your image shows up lousy you can always replace the it for no cost. Using an iPad for print work is just a bad idea.