Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 127
    Want. (water proofed for sports, of course)
  • Reply 22 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member


    Apple will *never* make a "wristwatch" just as it will never come out with a Model T automobile or a wringer washer machine.  


    "Watches" were supplanted in the 1970's with computerised versions and those that exist today are jewelry only (that's right guys, you're actually wearing a decorative bracelet).  


     


    Apple may on the other hand make a wearable computer.  


     


    Therefore any analyst that uses the term "watch" or "smartwatch" or "iWatch" is an analyst that isn't really thinking clearly and not worth listening to at all.  It also means that whatever Apple may or may not be planning in this area will come as a total surprise (yay!) if and when it's released, because absolutely no one so far has been able to conceptualise what it is that they are working on (except maybe Tog a little bit).  

  • Reply 23 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post



    Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.


    I was like you and did not wear a watch for almost 14yrs. Then last year i got a watch to help me during my swimming (I wear glasses and couldn't see the time in the pool clock). 


     


    But then I realized how much more convenient the watch is over the cellphone. It is a flick of a wrist instead of digging something up from somewhere. I can see the  time while driving the bike or the car, in a theater, while playing some sport when I leave the cellphone in the locker, etc. etc. Now i wear it all the time except in bed. It is waaaaay better than cell phones for time. 

  • Reply 24 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iamnemani View Post


    I was like you and did not wear a watch for almost 14yrs. Then last year i got a watch to help me during my swimming (I wear glasses and couldn't see the time in the pool clock). 


     


    But then I realized how much more convenient the watch is over the cellphone. It is a flick of a wrist instead of digging something up from somewhere. I can see the  time while driving the bike or the car, in a theater, while playing some sport when I leave the cellphone in the locker, etc. etc. Now i wear it all the time except in bed. It is waaaaay better than cell phones for time. 



    Ditto! :)

  • Reply 25 of 127
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,001member


    It certainly makes sense for Apple to explore extending into wearable tech, so I think of this, if it were even true, as far less a watch than a continued effort to grow the halo, reducing size and increasing functionality. So a "watch" that lets you answer calls, change tracks, adjust volume, perhaps invoke Siri, to an iPhone in your pocket or bag, would be interesting (pressing we can ever actually like wearing BT headsets)


     


    Actually, even BT headsets could use a reboot...

  • Reply 26 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post





    Two people familiar with the project reportedly told the Times's Nick Bilton that the the watch would operate Apple?s iOS platform and stand apart from competitors based on the company?s understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.



     


     


    Curve around the human body? Sounds like an iBelt or iSweater rather than an iWatch. Regardless, I'd be seriously surprised if the whole thing is made out of glass, whatever it may curve around.


     


    I too have been wondering about the decline of watches. But, it's not like Timex and Swatch are going out of business. So someone is buying them. Furthermore, Apple does not always worry about current market conditions when launching a product. They have their same criteria for launch decisions.

  • Reply 27 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post



    Please. This is such a joke and a fabricated rumor.



    Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.



    Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.



    If you guys believe this rumor, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! Send me a private message to buy a piece of the bridge for yourself!


     


    Sure I believe it. I'm sure there's lots of things Apple's experimenting with. That doesn't mean these things will ever become products available for sale. 

  • Reply 28 of 127
    I think this is going to happen as well. People don't wear watches? That's what they said about PDAs before the iPhone
  • Reply 29 of 127


    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

    Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.


     


    I have an iPhone. I still wear an iPod nano.

  • Reply 30 of 127
    Those aren't just any watches.

    Beam me up, Scottie.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Beam me up, Scottie.
  • Reply 32 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post


    Might work if Apple gets the fashion right.  I personally do not like watches, as I'm always hitting them against things and breaking them.  If I need to know the time, I just glance at a clock on the wall or on a computer screen or on my iPhone.  In my kitchen there are 5 clocks visible at all times.


     


    Mainly I use watches to mark guys as vapid arseholes.  I see some businessman with a big gaudy expensive watch, I know not to trust him. 



     


    I no-longer wear a watch because I am retired and have little need to be aware of the time.


     


    When I did, I (being clumsy) often, I would hit them against things and break them... as you mention.  Then I discovered one of the 2 great secrets of dressing successfully for business:



    1. When wearing a wristwatch put the watch on so that the dial is on the inside of your wrist and the band on the outside -- this protects the watch, the watch face and dial from bumps and abrasions.


    2. When rolling up the  sleeves of a long-sleeved shirt -- as you roll them up tuck the rolled part inside the sleeve instead of outside the sleeve -- this avoids any loose ends to catch on things or attract dirt, it won't unroll -- and it looks slick too!


     


    ...When wearing a 3-piece suit... pants are supposed to be included as one of the pieces!

  • Reply 33 of 127
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I no-longer wear a watch because I am retired and have little need to be aware of the time.

    At your age being aware of the time isn't such a great idea. :D Seriously though, when I'm your age I hope I'm half as savvy and knowledgable about current tech as you are.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    No offense to anyone...but I think the Nano on the wrist looks kind of goofy and not for me! :)


     


    I also think it's going to be a lot thinner and more elegant the the photo above. Too clunky looking for Apple





    None taken!  I've got the black "tiktok" band for my nano...https://www.lunatik.com/products/tiktok. ; I'm 6'4, so it might be easier for me to pull off a "larger" watch face...but a stroll through the watch section of a random department store in the mall made me realize that many standard watches people wear are much bigger, much more clunky.  As a template for future watches, I think the tictok with the black band looks pretty slick.  Personal preference, though.  If I were going for style I'd go with henrywatch.com.  Love those watches.  And, frankly, I don't wear my nano.  I was excited about trying it out, and am sold on the concept...but obviously apple didn't include bluetooth support for messages, emails, reminders, weather push, or a proximity alert for when I left my iphone behind, etc., let alone the fact that it wasn't "always on."  I do, however, still use it when I work out several times a week...the earbud wire clips at the shoulder and never gets in my way.   

  • Reply 35 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I no-longer wear a watch because I am retired and have little need to be aware of the time.



    Same here. Since retiring, I regard time from an entirely different perspective! And beautiful as it is, my Hublot has reposed in a dresser drawer for the last three years, about a year after I bought my first iPhone.


     


    But if we want to talk about real game-changers in wearable devices, something to speculate about is bio-implants - optical and aural to begin with. That's just an interim step. On we can go from implants to genetically bioengineer those capabilities that we now are limited to accessing through external devices. Sound crazy? Wait a few centuries - or maybe just a few decades. It'll be a human firmware update!

  • Reply 36 of 127
    It would start to explain why Apple abandoned the previous nano design. It didn't make sense from a design perspective. But it could be a strategic move to keep off any wearable tech until they can really disrupt/revolutionize the space.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


    Same here. Since retiring, I regard time from an entirely different perspective! And beautiful as it is, my Hublot has reposed in a dresser drawer for the last three years, about a year after I bought my first iPhone.


     


    But if we want to talk about real game-changers in wearable devices, something to speculate about is bio-implants - optical and aural to begin with. That's just an interim step. On we can go from implants to genetically bioengineer those capabilities that we now are limited to accessing through external devices. Sound crazy? Wait a few centuries - or maybe just a few decades. It'll be a human firmware update!





    "Firmware changes will not take effect until you go to sleep and wake up again."

  • Reply 38 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post




    None taken!  I've got the black "tiktok" band for my nano...https://www.lunatik.com/products/tiktok. ; I'm 6'4, so it might be easier for me to pull off a "larger" watch face...but a stroll through the watch section of a random department store in the mall made me realize that many standard watches people wear are much bigger, much more clunky.  As a template for future watches, I think the tictok with the black band looks pretty slick.  Personal preference, though.  If I were going for style I'd go with henrywatch.com.  Love those watches.  And, frankly, I don't wear my nano.  I was excited about trying it out, and am sold on the concept...but obviously apple didn't include bluetooth support for messages, emails, reminders, weather push, or a proximity alert for when I left my iphone behind, etc., let alone the fact that it wasn't "always on."  I do, however, still use it when I work out several times a week...the earbud wire clips at the shoulder and never gets in my way.   



    I wish I was 6'4! :)

  • Reply 39 of 127

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post



    Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.


    I have not worn a watch in years either because my iPhone is a more accurate and maintenance free time piece.


     


    I would wear a band on my wrist if provides the following services:


     


    1.  Use for World Watch, Alarms, Stop Watch, and Timer functionalities.


    2.  Use biometrics and NFC for identification and authentication and payments and passes and loyalty cards etc...


    3.  Use satellite for sending/receiving location plus compass and mapping functions.


    4.  Use to control and get information from other devices via SIRI interface.

  • Reply 40 of 127


    Eight years ago I was in the office conference room with six other colleagues. Out of nowhere the president of the company asked for the time -- to no avail. None of us was wearing a watch.


     


    The last time I wore a watch was 17 years ago. I was working at my desk and had a meeting to attend later that morning away from the office. I was periodically checking the time on my watch, and I was extremely productive. I was getting things done in record time, until I finally realized the watch battery was drained to empty, and I was an hour late for my meeting. The next day, the watch was at the bottom of my sock drawer (where it likely still remains), and on my hip was a pager with a battery indicator.  


     


    I might wear a minimalist designed watch that has iPod or iPhone features, but it has to be self-charging.

Sign In or Register to comment.