Microsoft sells out of Surface Pro, just like the Zune HD did in 2009

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Are you for real? It is like asking how is OSX better than original Mac OS. In every possible way. Feel free to Google around, you will learn something.
    I think a sizeable number of people think that, by opening an umbrella in the house, one might get bad luck, like not getting married. What some people think does not necessary mean it is correct. For example, Windows 8 can open two apps on screen in Modern GUI and virtually unlimited number in desktop, meaning that what you think in this case is wrong.

I think it calls to question why anyone would use a full-blown PC with a UI that limits them to only two apps. You don't find it odd that "Modern" is really quite limited and "Legacy" isn't? What's the selling point of Modern then?

Compatibility with software, network standards and services is much more important. And no other tablet on market today can offer it. And now you can get it in form factor comparable to iPad/Android tablets. It is not wishful thinking. I don't have MS stock, nor is Gates my relative. It is opinion based on some reasonable industry insight.

You seem to say that as if no one has tried full-blown PC tablets before. If there really was a deep demand for a PC tablet, Windows XP Tablet edition wouldn't have failed. Windows 7 Slate was aborted. Windows 3.1 Pen PC Edition wouldn't have died in obscurity either. There's a few here that wanted an OS X tablet, if there's demand, you'd think there would be more interest in the ModBook to prove to Apple that they're wrong about how they handled tablets. As yet, tablets are Microsoft's Road Runner, Microsoft being the Wily E Coyote in the relationship. Keep trying every so often for twenty years, we'll see if the fourth (or more) time is the charm.
  • Reply 162 of 178
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Are you for real? It is like asking how is OSX better than original Mac OS. In every possible way. Feel free to Google around, you will learn something.
    I think a sizeable number of people think that, by opening an umbrella in the house, one might get bad luck, like not getting married. What some people think does not necessary mean it is correct. For example, Windows 8 can open two apps on screen in Modern GUI and virtually unlimited number in desktop, meaning that what you think in this case is wrong.
    Of course it is larger. Humour me please. What is the relevance of this question?
    Dude... are you really for real? 10 years is lifetime in IT. What you are asking can translate to "how is Mercedes today any better than Daimler Benz from 1902". Technology is progressing. 10 years back, you had overheating, under-performing 180nm P4 based hardware running software almost without any touch optimization and with resistive touch screens, sweating and cooking in big convertible laptops with poor case integrity and poorer battery life. But 10 years ago, ARM processors could not give you performance/power consumption anywhere close to modern ARMs. This year, 22nm Haswell iCore is coming out. Yes it's Intel, but not Intel from 2000.
    I just happen to be 45 years old and working in IT since 1991... so I do know a few things about Office. We do advise all our users to go for at least 2x 19" screen setups for every work PC and laptop, except very specific scenarios (like point of sale units). 50% time or more, our customers are not using laptop screens at all. In the office, they have laptop on docking station, plugged to decent sized screens. They will maybe use laptop screen from home (those that work a lot from home will have big screen there as well). They are more likely to use laptop screen when visiting their customers or cooperatives, though even then they might be using projector or flat TV for presentations.

Transfer that usage scenario to Surface Pro-like device. Screen size is important but not critical (and why would you insist on using 11" screen whenever you can use 24"?). Compatibility with software, network standards and services is much more important. And no other tablet on market today can offer it. And now you can get it in form factor comparable to iPad/Android tablets. It is not wishful thinking. I don't have MS stock, nor is Gates my relative. It is opinion based on some reasonable industry insight.

Are you for real?
    Discussing tablets, do I need to fill in all gaps for you. You are so funny.
  • Reply 163 of 178
    Lol. It can remind you of some of the most famous Cicero's speeches (I'd prefer that to Nazi references, even fictional), but it was really just nonsense, and anantksundaram kindly pointed that to you.

Using any single app (or suite) does not qualify, nor does it disqualify someone from being power user. There is no relation. Or any logic.

When one gets same opinion from two different sides of spectrum, one might want to reflect on that. It does require some wisdom and humility, though.

Don't try and squirm your way out Dude.
    To you and your ilk, those tat don't use Office are not power users. It's all over the blogs, have you been hiding in a cave?
    So I don't like it when so and so put themselves above me because they can use Excel while picking their nose.
  • Reply 164 of 178
    Well here we
    There's no law that says you should do so, but you're sounding more and more bizarre, and you'd be making less of an ass* of yourself if you just shut it off now.

*Br. meaning of the term.

Surprise surprise another insult.
    Try and be a little but mor
    There's no law that says you should do so, but you're sounding more and more bizarre, and you'd be making less of an ass* of yourself if you just shut it off now.

*Br. meaning of the term.
    e

Another insult.
  • Reply 165 of 178
    M[quote name="anantksundaram" url="/t/155891/microsoft-sells-out-of-surface-pro-just-like-the-zune-hd-did-in-2009/120#post_2275169"]Some people deserve nothing more, nothing less.

Your posts are not particularly flattering of people either.
    [/quote
    Neither are yours to me.
  • Reply 166 of 178
    David Byrne? Talking Heads (the band's name has an 's', btw)?

Somewhat over-rated band-leader and band, but lots of cute stuff, though.

I don't think your lack of taste in music is relevant here.
    And I missed an s, it's the end if the world.
    Here are some just in case I miss next time.
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Happy?
  • Reply 167 of 178

Ok maybe they had 25000 in the channel to sale and they are making the news for sale out. Give me a break. Some guy thinks that the surface pro has the same memory as the MacBook Air. What Microsoft stooges. I thought the surface was a tablet. 

• Reply 168 of 178
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They are breakdancing in business attire… with ties. Mind… blown! Clearly the Surface Pro must is a completely professional, fun and totally rad device... with absolutely no compromises¡

edit: Here is the full video…

[VIDEO]

PS: Why is linking a video so much less of a hassle than linking a photo with Huddler. Such a pain to post an image here.

Just too painful to watch! MS does seem to be resonating with some of their fans though... the comments on YouTube are interesting.

Did Panay really say that this is (the Surface Pro) "likely the most powerful computer you will buy?"... and call their original WinRT ad "awesome"????!

I'm simply awestruck at how "unprofessional" marketing/ad related everything out of Redmond truly is. :no:
  • Reply 169 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Just too painful to watch! MS does seem to be resonating with some of their fans though... the comments on YouTube are interesting.

Did Panay really say that this is (the Surface Pro) "likely the most powerful computer you will buy?"... and call their original WinRT ad "awesome"????!

I'm simply awestruck at how "unprofessional" marketing/ad related everything out of Redmond truly is. image

My wife, who really isn't interested in tech, said to me after watching the latest MS Surface commercial, "who exactly does MS think their customer is?"  They, or maybe it's the MS supporters in the press (and on this site) think of SP as a "professional" system, but it really seems to me that MS themselves are conflicted with their marketing message.

If they're simply pandering to be more "cool" like Apple, it isn't working on the likes of my wife.

• Reply 170 of 178
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That title... seriously at least try to look a little impartial.
  • Reply 171 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    clemynx wrote: »
    That title... seriously at least try to look a little impartial.

On one hand, I understand, DED is blatantly partisan, often in contrived ways. On the other, I think it pays to remind people of the history of this company. I had forgotten about this. The Modern UI is based on what's on the Zune HD, I wonder if the UI had anything to do with helping its failure.
  • Reply 172 of 178
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    The store in are area had about 50 people lined up and that was it. Once the store opened the line went away. So the amount of stock available was probably limited along with the amount of interested buyers.
  • Reply 173 of 178

Thurrott is likely the most conspicuous Apple hater. Why would anyone believe a thing he has to say about their products? He really has become too obnoxious to stomach!

• Reply 174 of 178
    jeffdm wrote: »
    On one hand, I understand, DED is blatantly partisan, often in contrived ways. On the other, I think it pays to remind people of the history of this company. I had forgotten about this. The Modern UI is based on what's on the Zune HD, I wonder if the UI had anything to do with helping its failure.

I quote like the Zune 2.0 and I like Windows Phone 7/8 UI. Unfortunately both were too little too late to be a success. I wonder if the Zune was MS's first wake up call that their Windows OS dominance isn't going to propel them into every they desire.
  • Reply 175 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I saw Ballmer at the CES saying that they are selling 4 x as many phones this month as last month. But 4 x what? Had the numbers been impressive, he would have done the math for us.

4 x 0 = ??

• Reply 176 of 178

I think its reasonable to think of someone who seems only interested in throwing bombs into the discussion as a troll. I mean, the only thing an iPad is good for is Fart apps? Really?

The Surface seems to be the first really smart, creative response to the iPad to hit the market. Something original. A new vision instead of just copying, badly, the Apple approach.

It's a breath of fresh air, like when the original iPad was released.

Like anything new it needs to be refined. Maybe Microsoft's approach will be successful, but they better hurry! The inexorable push of technology is rushing everyone towards a no compromise, portable, fully connected computing experience that is really just getting started.

It's only been three years since Apple released the iPad and changed everything. Think where we'll be in another three years.

Final thought. You quoted, but did not respond to, the comment about how Microsoft advertises the Surface like its a toy. A very good point. Microsoft wants it both ways: "We're not a toy like iPad. Now watch us dance!"

• Reply 177 of 178

The SP may be new and certainly (minus keyboard) a departure from the convertible laptops of the past decade+, but MS's idea for a tablet OS that runs legacy desktop programs is the same old thinking they've been pushing.  If they really want to move beyond just a small form factor laptop with detachable, but mostly required, keyboard, MS needs to figure out how to get touch integration (be it stylus or finger) into legacy apps along with scaling that works or a less high-res screen so you can actually see elements on the desktop.  Otherwise all they've created is the aforementioned small form factor laptop that requires keyboard and mouse.

In my opinion, the hardware should be the least of their worries right now - they need to figure out the software (OS and 3rd party) piece if they want the hardware side to survive.  

• Reply 178 of 178
    Not sure about all this MS hate fest going on. I found a vid on youtube and it looks like BB in austin had at least 100 units not counting the ones that were reserved ahead of time. Anyway looks like they were all sold within hrs or less. Also, it appears MS put out 1 million unit for this kickoff. So if everything sold out in the US within hrs, thats 1 million of these puppies!! whic is prob better than ipad sales.. at least so far. Here is the vid
    Also, it appears that MS is currently shipping more of the 64G model and will have 128G in stores by Saturday..
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-says-more-surface-pros-will-arrive-in-stores-by-saturday/