New photos may or may not show Apple's so-called iPhone 5S being assembled at Foxconn

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Assuming the photos are real, if the only discernible difference is the vibration motor, can't Apple just be revising that in the iPhone 5? It is not uncommon for certain parts to be swapped out. 

• Reply 22 of 55
    ruel24 wrote: »
    Apple needs serious upgrades to iOS, along with some hardware changes like NFC to compete. The iPhone is starting to appear to be stale in the marketplace.

With no competition in the iPhone league, it certainly looks stale. That's because there's nothing out there to compare it to. Really, NFC? Use it where exactly? I went to wiki, but got this: Future of Near Field[dead link]
    ----
    Just for laughs they should call it the iPhone/s
  • Reply 23 of 55
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagueve View Post

SD Card Slot ?! Are you serious ?! Just another crappy chinese clone... Just take a look... image http://twitpic.com/c1ucxk

Yes indeed.

The answer to how pictures like this of an unreleased Apple product were obtained is that it's not an Apple product at all.

• Reply 24 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie

With no competition in the iPhone league, it certainly looks stale. That's because there's nothing out there to compare it to. Really, NFC? Use it where exactly?

There's a list of retailers who accept NFC-enabled payments here:

http://www.google.com/wallet/how-it-works/in-store.html#merchant-matrix

and here (note you can change the country):

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

There's also "an app for that"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.paypass&hl=en

• Reply 25 of 55
    thttht Posts: 5,441member

Hardware != the way it looks.

People have been living with personal computers that don't change the way it looks on the outside for a long time now, and have had your typical yearly CPU, GPU, memory, storage upgrades, and hardly anyone mentions that personal computer "hardware" hasn't changed.

If the iPhone is 2x CPU, 2x GPU, 2x RAM, 2x storage, 2x LTE band support or 2x more power efficient, then it's a monster upgrade. It's an upgrade that is about 1.5x to 2x the rate that you see in the personal computer world. This is what happened with the 3GS and 4S; yet, people still think they were incremental updates. Crazy.

Moreover, people haven't realized how good they have it with smartphones the past 5 years. The rate of performance improvement has been pretty close to 2x every year. Well, all the low hanging fruit for CPU, GPU design in ARM SoCs are basically picked. If you think these yearly improvements are "nothing" now, just wait a couple of years down the road when you would be lucky to got 1.15x perf improvement every year. The life cycle of cell phones introduced in 2013 may well be 3 or 4 years. If you think the smartphone technorati are bored now, the crying tears coming in the next few years will be enough to fill the oceans.

• Reply 26 of 55
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    NFC would not be a geeky trick. It would be very valuable from a digital wallet/commerce perspective
  • Reply 27 of 55

I guess I am the only one who would rather have the rotating motor instead of the oscillating motor for the vibrate feature.  I didn't like how quiet the oscillating motor was.  

As for the pics, something is fishy.  The pictures showing the internals show a sloppy assembly.  Very sloppy.

• Reply 28 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by appletouches View Post

The question though is can Apple can afford a 'S' version with minor upgrades?

The 'S' versions have never been minor upgrades. They have all been major upgrades of the internals. The only thing that has remained the same in the 'S' upgrades has been the external casing and the screen.

• Reply 29 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Apple needs serious upgrades to iOS, along with some hardware changes like NFC to compete. The iPhone is starting to appear to be stale in the marketplace.

No, it's really not. And NFC is at present a useless gimmick.

• Reply 30 of 55

Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

Fake. Apple only uses blue logic boards.

Well, black. But who's coloring… 

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The only thing that has remained the same in the 'S' upgrades has been the external casing and the screen.

"But that's all that matters. Same phone same phone same phone same phone!" 

• Reply 31 of 55
    chuckd wrote: »
    Fake. Apple only uses blue logic boards.

Agree , I think so . It doesn't seem like Apple . Green logic looks cheaper and fake iPhone alike.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Looks nothing like an Apple product. Cheap components, very poor quality assembly, inefficient use of internal space, SD card, wrong type of connector, ...

Did anyone look at the photos before releasing this story??
  • Reply 33 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't think NFC is really all that important....until Apple releases it. So far, I don't see a lot of people using NFC, however if Apple does include this in the next iPhone it will start to take off a little better than it has. It seems as if Apple is the driving force for certain things like this. 

How true!! And before they do, Apple will make sure they have all partner agreements in place. I would further suggest they drag these things out to sweat out the ecosystem (manufacturers, suppliers, etc.) so they will give Apple a more prominent position in the market. (like they did with the iPhone and the carriers) 

• Reply 34 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

How true!! And before they do, Apple will make sure they have all partner agreements in place. I would further suggest they drag these things out to sweat out the ecosystem (manufacturers, suppliers, etc.) so they will give Apple a more prominent position in the market. (like they did with the iPhone and the carriers) 

At some point (soon) I really think Apple has to have a solution for mobile payments.  The entire market seems to be waiting to see what Apple will do.  I'm not saying it's NFC, but SOMETHING.  I think being able to use Passbook in the Apple store is indicative of Apple moving to a mobile wallet sooner rather than later.  My guess is the 5s will be the time. 

I hope, anyway.  Really hope.

• Reply 35 of 55
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple doesn't design to compete. They don't view this as a zero sum game. They design to make money by releasing what they view as the best product for their audience. Not what will make every possible group happy and sell cheap. And they are making money hand over fist. 

Folks around here call iOS stale and scream about needing fancy geek tricks like NFC. But the general audience, which is who Apple dominantly designs for, doesn't hold the same views. 

I'd say that's how Apple would like to everyone (including themselves) to think how they operate. But there's no reason that "one form factor/iPhone per year" needs to be held up as Gospel. Multiple styles of Macs address different display size needs and entry prices (11 in - 27 in, 6 form factors, $999-$2,499). Same with iPods (5 form factors, $49-$299) and iPads (2/3 designs, $329-$499).

Why not have a 4.5-inch iPhone alongside the 4-inch iPhone? Heck they could keep the same resolution and make it just a hair less sharp. It would be nice for some segment of the market. Just like there's no one perfect Mac or iPod or iPad size.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Lower cost phone will replace 4/4s & be equipped with a lightning connector much like the ipad4 replaced ipad3. Ipad2 , 4/4s to be phased out by end of 2013.
  • Reply 37 of 55

Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

Lower cost phone will replace 4/4s & be equipped with a lightning connector… 

I don't see it. Not all right away, at least.

much like the ipad4 replaced ipad3.

That's a totally different analogy.

Ipad2, 4/4s to be phased out by end of 2013.

This is how I know it's not happening.

• Reply 38 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a list of retailers who accept NFC-enabled payments here:

http://www.google.com/wallet/how-it-works/in-store.html#merchant-matrix

and here (note you can change the country):

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

There's also "an app for that"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.paypass&hl=en

Yay! Thanks for the links! I had no idea there are so many places in my country (Romania) where I can pay with NFC!!! Well, since Apple doesn't want to release an iphone with NFC I guess I have to buy an Android phone! If Apple doesn't want to take my money who am I to argue with them, right? I can't wait to test this! image

I have to check with my bank but do you have any idea if all Mastercards with chip work with NFC or do I need a special card?

• Reply 39 of 55
    I don't see it. Not all right away, at least.

That's a totally different analogy.

This is how I know it's not happening.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    This proves that all of the rumors are true: someone somewhere is making a cell phone.