New photos may or may not show Apple's so-called iPhone 5S being assembled at Foxconn

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    A different analogy yes, but also an obvious example of how fast Apple wants to move its entire mobile product line to the lightning connector. A new lower cost up to date product that will support later versions of Ios7 will be a much more attractive deal for China Mobile to carry over the outdated 4/4s models. With that being said current buyers now of the 4s&4s would be supported, but with minimal features of the new ios7.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    isteelers wrote: »
    This proves that all of the rumors are true: someone somewhere is making a cell phone.

Yay for us.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    womble2k2 wrote: »
    Looks nothing like an Apple product. Cheap components, very poor quality assembly, inefficient use of internal space, SD card, wrong type of connector, ...

Did anyone look at the photos before releasing this story??

AppleInsider said the photos may OR MAY NOT show the iPhone 5S, thereby absolving themselves of any mislabeling of these photos.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    I don't see it. Not all right away, at least.

That's a totally different analogy.

This is how I know it's not happening.

I think the iPhone 4/4s will stick around for awhile, but not the iPad 2. If retina is indeed coming to the Mini this year as rumored, it's over for any non-retina iDevice.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

It looks like these are test models, prototypes. Yes the battery is probably just a placeholder just to test things. The insights do look a bit changed. The different vibrating motor, placement of wifi antenna and that huge home button.

It would make sense if 5S was Apple's biometric scanner iPhone. S for Security.

• Reply 46 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I think the iPhone 4/4s will stick around for awhile, but not the iPad 2. If retina is indeed coming to the Mini this year as rumored, it's over for any non-retina iDevice.

I can see a retina iPad Mini replacing the iPad 2. I also believe the iPad 2 will be phased out on the next update. Its getting a bit old. 

• Reply 47 of 55
    allenbf wrote: »
  • Reply 48 of 55

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Hmm… I'd like that, but what becomes of the price gap?

• Reply 49 of 55
    Why not have a 4.5-inch iPhone alongside the 4-inch iPhone? Heck they could keep the same resolution and make it just a hair less sharp. It would be nice for some segment of the market. Just like there's no one perfect Mac or iPod or iPad size.

I still find it amusing that people judge the premium-ness of a smartphone by size. It's a lot like the attitude Detroit had about cars in the 70s and 80s. For something like a phone, or any portable electronic device, the premium should be on portability, battery stamina, and features. Once you move away from (or compromise on) portability, you are chasing a tablet experience. If thin and light and pocketable didn't matter, phones would still be the size of that Motorola brick phone from the late 80s.

The obvious problem with the 'just give me a 4.5" iPhone' conceit is that it's a slippery slope. If the 4" iPhone 5 looks small because there are bigger phones now, then 4.5" won't cure your size envy. A 4.5" iPhone will look small compared to the 5" phones, so you demand a 5" phone, and if Apple delivers that, you'll complain that the competition has moved on to 6" phones. Once again, you'll ask Apple to just release a 5.5" phone to keep you happy, just another lowering of resolution from the 5" model.

Where does it end?
    If Apple plays the game according to market rules, they'd have squeezed out their profit margin long ago, because their competitors have done that in the PC manufacturing business in pursuit of cheaper laptops.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    The 4 will most certainly be retired as it only got the bare minimum of ios6. I think it will go out like 3gs did and get 1 last update and be discontinued. As for the 4s I believe it will get 2 more ios updates but will be redesigned & possibly renamed for 2013 and be the entry level iphone with the new lightning connector. I see an Iphone6 with a larger display only if it is thinner & still operable with one hand. Apple can & will pull it off & I think it will happen posslibly in late 13 or early 14 with the less power hungry IGZO display.
  • Reply 51 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm… I'd like that, but what becomes of the price gap?

What price gap? Between the Mini - iPad2 - New iPad?

They can handle that any number of ways. iPad Mini with Retina display with a small bump in price. Or, leave it the same price, just like when the iPad2 became the iPad3 with Retina. I personally believe the iPad mini as priced already factors a retina display into the margins - they just couldn't get the yields right, at the time.

My opinion: It's a done deal, retina on every iDevice. (Eventually spreading to all of the Mac line, too)  Then all apps are retina quality apps, from the iPhones to iPods to iPads - no extra thought for Devs.

• Reply 52 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    Those are some of the most extensive spy shots yet. I wonder how they get away with it? Someone with access to some sort of clean room looks like.

Well, there are plenty of 8Mpx cameras in the room. :D Seriously though it is nice to finally see an image that don't look like a 90s spy satellite image of a license plate.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    allenbf wrote: »
    My opinion: It's a done deal, retina on every iDevice. (Eventually spreading to all of the Mac line, too)  Then all apps are retina quality apps, from the iPhones to iPods to iPads - no extra thought for Devs.

I don't think that Retina has been a huge issue for developers. If they followed Apple's guidelines don't they only have to add 2x images and a small amount of code? I'd think supporting the 3.5" iPhone and Touch resolution, the 4" iPhone and Touch resolution and the iPad resolution would be more of a chore than simple dropping the non-Retina versions of each.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

NFC would not be a geeky trick. It would be very valuable from a digital wallet/commerce perspective

Yep, and if Apple launched an open standard, and kept control instead of allowing the carriers to get control of it, it would probably be adopted by the other handset makers and be an industry standard that works well.

• Reply 55 of 55
    Cool pictures