WSJ says Foxconn involved in development of tech that could power Apple wristwatch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Some of the technology to power Apple's rumored smartwatch is in development at longtime supplier Foxconn, according to a new report, and the Taiwanese company isn't just making the technology for Apple.

smartwatch

The Wall Street Journal carried a report on Sunday backing up an earlier report from the New York Times that Apple is working on developing a smartwatch device. In exploring devices beyond its currently hot-selling iPhone and iPad, Apple is said to have discussed a smartwatch with Hon Hai Precision Industry, also known as by its U.S. trade name Foxconn.

Foxconn is said to be working on multiple technologies that could appear in wearable technologies. The Taipei-based company is looking to lower power-usage and to strip down the chip technologies that would go into such devices. In particular, the report claims that Foxconn is working on the underpinnings of wearable technology for more customers than just Apple. The Journal does not detail for which other companies Foxconn might be developing the components.

Google is known to be working on its own wearable technology, a glasses-mounted heads-up display known as Google Glass. That device is currently in testing with developers, and Google has targeted early 2014 as a consumer release window. Shortly after Google Glass was unveiled, an Apple patent emerged, showing off similar technology aimed at solving issues arising from such displays.

Many industry observers believe that "wearable" computing is a near-inevitable next step for mobile technology. In January, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster predicted such technology would ultimately replace the iPhone, much like the iPhone has replaced the iPod.

Apple is likely to leverage its existing patents on creating curved glass to bring to market a product its competitors could not quickly and easily imitate. Such a device might also intermittently satisfy Wall Street investors, who have pummeled Apple's stock in recent weeks due to concerns over competition, and possibly plateauing profit growth and innovation.

The Journal was the second major news publication on Sunday to leak details on a possible Apple smartwatch, lending credence to the notion that such a device is in development or at least under consideration. The past months have seen increasing speculation on the existence and capabilities of an "iWatch."

iWatch concept
An artist's rendition of a curved glass iOS-based watch | Source: unknown.

In December, rumors emerged that Apple was working with Intel on a smartwatch accessory that would feature a 1.5-inch OLED display and low-power Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity. That device was said to work alongside a user's iPhone, with the ability to access simplified iOS functions.

And just last week, prior to the New York Times and Wall Street Journal reports, Bruce Tognazzini opined in long-form on his blog about the possibilities of an iWatch. Tognazzini ? creator of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines ? based his predictions on his knowledge of the way Apple operates, saying an iWatch would "fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem" and would complement all of Apple's other devices.

Apple is notoriously secretive about products in development. Chief Executive Tim Cook, during Apple's most recently quarterly conference call, would say only that Apple's product pipeline is "chock full" of "incredible stuff," but that Apple would only reveal its plans when the company feels the time is right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33

I can guarantee that it will not be as clunky as the photo above depicts. It will be curved and have a touch scroll rubber band effect. It will be aluminum, thin and elegant! :)

• Reply 2 of 33

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I can guarantee that it will not be as clunky as the photo above depicts.

Right, it would neither be as clunky as the first or as impractical (impossible) as the second.

• Reply 3 of 33

I almost agree with you. But my guess is, that aluminium will play a very minor role, if at all. Many people, including me, dont't react very well to quite a number of metals if exposed directly on skin over a lengthy time. Some people may even get allergic reactions.

• Reply 4 of 33

For what it's worth, I already own and use an "iWatch". In my case, it's an older iPod Nano on a special band. It has seven little programs that display on its roughly one inch by one inch touchscreen: a watch, a Nike Fitness app (which I've yet to use), an iTunes player, a radio, a podcaster, audiobooks, and an iPhotos displayer. It runs over a week on a charge, and is one of my favorite "gadgets". What it doesn't have is bluetooth connectivity (you need a set of earbuds to hear anything from it) and/or the ability to be used as a phone or as a real "Dick Tracy" watch that lets me send and receive a picture over FaceTime.

But it's been obvious for the almost two years I've owned it that those things are not only possible but destined to happen. You'll note that the latest iPod Nano is much, much larger than the old one. What happened to that square form factor iPod? That obviously wasn't a coincidence! It's clearly morphed into a true iWatch!

• Reply 5 of 33

I wear a watch every single day, and I wouldn't wear that for a second. (Pun unintended.) I want a watch for time and nothing else. I don't care if does have an Apple logo on it.

And they certainly don't need to use aluminum. Watches have been made out of stainless steel for many many years with great success.

• Reply 6 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I wear a watch every single day, and I wouldn't wear that for a second. (Pun unintended.) I want a watch for time and nothing else. I don't care if does have an Apple logo on it.

And they certainly don't need to use aluminum. Watches have been made out of stainless steel for many many years with great success.

Geez. Last I heard, they weren't going to threaten you with torture if you chose not to buy one....

• Reply 7 of 33
    This doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Certainly more reasonable than Google Glasses. Sure, no augmented reality but I can't say that interests me too much.

I can guarantee that it will not be as clunky as the photo above depicts. It will be curved and have a touch scroll rubber band effect. It will be aluminum, thin and elegant! :)

Mockups usually take some existing design and then shoehorn it into some other design. They usually end up looking neat but don't seem to be practical on any level. Are people that are good at Photoshop (I assume this is the app they use) just not technically inclined in a way that makes them stop and decide that it won't work as shown?

You ever notice that the most impractical design is the one that gets used repeatedly on tech forums? Maybe I cringe at it more so it stands out but I feel like I'll be seeing that same pic for a long, long time.
  • Reply 8 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

For what it's worth, I already own and use an "iWatch". In my case, it's an older iPod Nano on a special band. It has seven little programs that display on its roughly one inch by one inch touchscreen: a watch, a Nike Fitness app (which I've yet to use), an iTunes player, a radio, a podcaster, audiobooks, and an iPhotos displayer. It runs over a week on a charge, and is one of my favorite "gadgets". What it doesn't have is bluetooth connectivity (you need a set of earbuds to hear anything from it) and/or the ability to be used as a phone or as a real "Dick Tracy" watch that lets me send and receive a picture over FaceTime.

But it's been obvious for the almost two years I've owned it that those things are not only possible but destined to happen. You'll note that the latest iPod Nano is much, much larger than the old one. What happened to that square form factor iPod? That obviously wasn't a coincidence! It's clearly morphed into a true iWatch!

I forgot to add: The one really important thing my "iWatch" is missing is waterproofing.

• Reply 9 of 33
    Screw the watch. Where's my car stereo?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You ever notice that the most impractical design is the one that gets used repeatedly on tech forums? Maybe I cringe at it more so it stands out but I feel like I'll be seeing that same pic for a long, long time.

Yes, I've noticed. And they always look, well, dumb. I certainly hope they'll change the pic every now and then. They should've done that with that House guy on the Apple TV set

1000 1000
    1000 1000

1000 1000
  • Reply 11 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I would be surprised if it was called iWatch. It would tell time but surely it would not be a watch?

• Reply 12 of 33
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yes, I've noticed. And they always look, well, dumb. I certainly hope they'll change the pic every now and then. They should've done that with that House guy on the Apple TV set

[image]

To be clear, I'm not making any slant against their photoshopping abilities. As you've seen from my mobile AI site mockup I have absolutely zero skill with altering even a simple image. I have no concept of how they make the mockups look so realistic, I just wish they were practical in their design.

The new Total Recall movie had some interesting ideas for a phone. It was implanted into your hand and any glass you put it up to (presumably all glass was made to work with this tech) would make it into a camera phone.
  • Reply 13 of 33

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would only wear this (two of them) if they shot out the byproducts of a fusion reaction a la Tony Stark's suit.

• Reply 14 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would only wear this (two of them) if they shot out the byproducts of a fusion reaction a la Tony Stark's suit.

Somebody would sneak up behind you and chop your hands off. You'd have to resort to biting - though that didn't do much for the Black Knight.

• Reply 15 of 33

bdkennedy1 View Post

Screw the watch. Where's my car stereo?

It's your iPhone/iPod Touch. The car stereo is now merely a receiver.

• Reply 16 of 33
    What struck me most about this report is that Hon Hai itself may have begun manufacturing its own smartphone components for sale to whomever they like. I had assumed that they merely performed assembly operations for Apple. If they are designing and building components, they may be on their way to designing and building complete products that could compete with Apple's.

In efforts to maximize its margins, Apple notoriously squeezes manufacturing partners for the best deals possible. If those partners, including perhaps Hon Hai, hope to increase their own margins, they may seek higher-value operations. However, as they move further up various value chains, the resulting competition in component and product design could pose a familiar problem for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

In stark contrast to you...ever since my first pocket pager (circa 1993)  I have never regularly worn a watch.  The last time I put a watch on was for a formal event in 2003...and that was my pocket watch.  Since my first cell phone (circa 2004) and my only wrist-watch being victim of burglery same year i haven't worn one since and probably never will again.  I see absolutely no need for yet another portable personal device that links to any other device I currently own (and carry daily) that already has a clock on it.

• Reply 18 of 33

I'm like you, no watch for years (although not all the hair has grown back where it used to go). I know if I put one on it would be banging into stuff all the time. And there are simply all kinds of clocks all around me all the time. I don't want a smart watch, no matter what it does. But, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

• Reply 19 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the technology to power Apple's rumored smartwatch is in development at longtime supplier Foxconn, according to a new report, and the Taiwanese company isn't just making the technology for Apple.

And that last bit makes me doubt this story. It's not really Apple's style to work with tech that is 'open market' when it comes to the developing new tech. They lock down all supplies, getting exclusive contracts for development and/or access to the first X units to put themselves in the best position. And that tradition is not likely to have changed with Tim in charge.

if the is any truth to this it is that Foxconn is working on the tech. But not the implication that since they work with Apple, that must be the client and not one or more of the other 70 or so companies they work with

• Reply 20 of 33

Wasn't a smartphone type watch announced in Vegas last month?  Called a pebble syncs with your iphone to be able to read your messages and e-mails on your phone....

http://getpebble.com/

If this is true then I wouldn't be surprised if they buy this company up since it has to overlap with features that would be put into a apple watch.  Would be interesting to see the design that apple comes up with since they have more money to throw at R&D.