Nike snubs Android users, says mobile FuelBand app to remain exclusive to Apple's iOS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Nike on Sunday revealed that it is not working on bringing its iOS-exclusive Nike+ FuelBand fitness monitoring app to Google's Android platform, disappointing some Android fans and seemingly reversing a position the company took last year.

iMacs

In a tweet from @NikeSupport, the company said on Sunday that "right now, we're focused on iOS and web. We're not working on an Android app."

iMacs

As Droid Life pointed out, previous Nike tweets from March of 2012 indicated that the company would be rolling out an Android app by the summer of 2012. Nike gave no reason for the delay or cancellation of its Android app.

Nike public relations department released a statement saying that "to deliver the best experience for all Nike+ FuelBand users, we are focusing on the FuelBand experience across iOS and nikeplus.com, where you can sync your activity, set new goals, and connect with friends. At this time, we are not working on an Android version of the mobile app."

The initial tweet has sparked some indignation from a number of Android fans, who claim they were led to believe that an Android app was forthcoming. @NikeSupport has been encouraging those fans to sync all of their data with nikeplus.com on their computers, as the website does not need an app to work.

While Nike gave no explanation behind its decision to apparently abandon its Android app project, it may be that the platform's fragmentation remains an issue even for a company with the resources of Nike. A survey in 2011 found that 87 percent of Android developers found fragmentation to be a problem for the platform, making it difficult to standardize features for apps.

The Nike FuelBand is available at Nike and Apple stores, in addition to Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The title obviously should read "snubs" not "snuffs" unless they are spraying random Android users with AK-47's.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    So why would Nike want to limit the amount of money it can make by excluding millions of Android users? Simple. Apple came to see Nike and said "hey, we are about to release the iWatch, which is going to eat your fuel band alive. Why don't we partner up so you can continue to make money and we can benefit from your experience in the arena. The new Apple iWatch with Nike built in. Of course if you want to do this partnership, we will need you to make a public statement about not supporting Android."
  • Reply 3 of 44

Of course. Geeks in their basements never exercise, so why would Nike make this avialable for them?

On a serious note, fragmentation is a major issue with Android despite what the haters say. There's a reason why developers continue to favor iOS for new projects and why iOS gets most stuff first.

• Reply 4 of 44
    Is it a snub or is that even with the growing number of android users, their demographic curves towards ios users. Or as some developers have claimed android is a nightmare to write apps for.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nike public relations department released a statement saying that "to deliver the best experience for all Nike+ FuelBand users, we are focusing on the FuelBand experience across iOS and nikeplus.com, where you can sync your activity, set new goals, and connect with friends. At this time, we are not working on an Android version of the mobile app."

Android users should be ashamed of themselves for drinking their own brand of Kool-aid and believing that their half-baked, fragmented-out-of-control Android OS is even remotely close to being polished and stable compared to iOS.

It was only a few weeks ago that I read an article talking about how the majority of Android OS devices are still running the ages-old Gingerbread OS, while their new Jellybean is still at less than 2% after how long??  Shameful.  Downright shameful.

Despite what Fandroids are whining about from the comfort of the basement armchairs, the reality is iOS offers a far better platform to develop for actual PAYING consumers.  Only the tech-head community complains about this.  I'll bet most typical Android smartphone users could not care any less about this problem.

So please Android-lovers, go cry me a river elsewhere.  On the other hand, just go away.

• Reply 6 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoda View Post

So why would Nike want to limit the amount of money it can make by excluding millions of Android users? Simple. Apple came to see Nike and said "hey, we are about to release the iWatch, which is going to eat your fuel band alive. Why don't we partner up so you can continue to make money and we can benefit from your experience in the arena. The new Apple iWatch with Nike built in. Of course if you want to do this partnership, we will need you to make a public statement about not supporting Android."

And you've nothing to back this up.

The truth is that, Nike's fuel band or whatever they're going to come up with, aren't going to be mainstream product. I'd bet even the iOS app isn't doing that well currently, and it'd be a fool for them to try to spend more money and expand that to Android. In fact  I won't be surprsied if the product/apps would be discontinued soon.

• Reply 7 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Despite what Fandroids are whining about from the comfort of the basement armchairs, the reality is iOS offers a far better platform to develop for actual PAYING consumers.  Only the tech-head community complains about this.  I'll bet most typical Android smartphone users could not care any less about this problem.

I think that is the biggest issue. There are entire cottage industries for iOS Device accessories, etc. Heck, there is about 12 feet of space in the TOY department at Target dedicated to iOS App-cessories.

I am not saying people don't spend money on things for their Android phones, but someone, somewhere, must have a sales number. Maybe, no conspiracy/iWatch with Nike+ built in (though I think that will be a given if an iWatch does exist) arguments, the sales of accessories for Android phones is what caused Nike to reconsider. Though I would think more than a Tweet would be warranted, but that, I think, just goes to show how important Twitter and social media is to marketing these days more than a failure on Nike's part.

• Reply 8 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 9 of 44

Makes complete sense from a business perspective. With iOS, Nike has millions upon millions of iPod/iPhone users who have shown they're willing to pay a premium for apps and hardware and would potentially purchase the Fuelband. On the other hand, most of the Android phones out there are low end - you have exceptions like the Nexus 4, but the vast majority aren't quality phones.

If you were Nike, who would you focus on? Potential purchasers who have a track record of paying premium pricing, or a huge fragmented Android ecosystem, only of which a handful of potential purchasers have shown they'll pay a premium.

Open. And. Shut.

Besides, have you seen the size of some of the Android Phablets? Ain't nobody who carries that going to be RUNNING anywhere... ;-)

• Reply 10 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Besides, have you seen the size of some of the Android Phablets? Ain't nobody who carries that going to be RUNNING anywhere... ;-)

Anyone who's running with their phone likely has an armband for their phone.  Trying to run with a phone in your pocket, no matter how small doesn't sound comfortable.  I doubt the slightly larger 5" android phones are going to be that much harder to strap to someone's arm.  The main concern their is weight, and how tight it can be made.

Phil

• Reply 11 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by philgar View Post

Anyone who's running with their phone likely has an armband for their phone.  Trying to run with a phone in your pocket, no matter how small doesn't sound comfortable.  I doubt the slightly larger 5" android phones are going to be that much harder to strap to someone's arm.  The main concern their is weight, and how tight it can be made.

Phil

It was a joke, a bit of sarcasm about the size of some phones...

• Reply 12 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It was a joke, a bit of sarcasm about the size of some phones...

I've recently tweeted that I want an armband so I can keep my Mophie while running. Of course, I run with about four kilos of diverse hardware in a backpack, so I'm not your average "sportsman". I can understand how the guys with their sexy tight fitting black molding suits all over their muscled bodies, looking at each other with desire etc could be concerned about "the size of their phones". "Is that your phone in your pocket or are you happy to see me?", or something.

It depends if you're running with the purpose of going somewhere fast, or to show others/yourself how sexy you are running.

If you're _really_ serious about running for the purpose of running, you're not running with a phone anyway.

• Reply 13 of 44

Excellent job by Nike to limit their customer base arbitrarily, it seems.  I'm sure their investors love that.

That said, while I love Nike+, and have an iPhone 5, I don't have any interest in buying a Fuelband anyway.

• Reply 14 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Excellent job by Nike to limit their customer base arbitrarily, it seems.  I'm sure their investors love that.

That said, while I love Nike+, and have an iPhone 5, I don't have any interest in buying a Fuelband anyway.

Oh please...

Nike may break even on the iOS side and hopefully, make enough to make the venture worthwhile.  If I owned Nike stock (I don't), I would be more upset that Nike was wasting resources on a doomed project like Android.

What you see as Nike "Limiting their customer base" is in reality Nike knowing that customer base is a losing proposition.

But go right ahead, spin my response however way you want.

• Reply 15 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cue the angry Fandroids. Fact: there are more iOS users willing to spend money. Fact 2: Android is very fragmented that Nike would need to develop for 2.x and above.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Write app that requires $ layout for hardware for large population with disposable income or for people who own a free with contract "it is just like an iPhone, the sprint guy said so"? Tough question....
  • Reply 17 of 44

Excercise and Gingerbread/IceCream sandwhich/Jelly bean doesn't go together very well. Ask the fitness guru.

• Reply 18 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is a wise decision by Nike and smart business! I wouldn't want any Fandroids as customers either. You would be hard pressed to find a more low class clientele. 

It's simply not worth the time, cost and effort for many developers and companies to bother to make Android versions, compared to what they may profit from it. 

As the vast majority of mobile profits are on iOS, it's plain common sense to not want to put in a ton more work at great cost for very little return, not to mention all of the hurdles and fragmentation issues that come along with Android.

• Reply 19 of 44
    I'd bet even the iOS app isn't doing that well currently, and it'd be a fool for them to try to spend more money and expand that to Android. In fact  I won't be surprsied if the product/apps would be discontinued soon.

What makes you think Nike doesn't make money off their app? You know they not only have their Running app, but also a partnership with Apple by including the Nike+ app on the iPhone & iPod touch?
    I can understand how the guys with their sexy tight fitting black molding suits all over their muscled bodies, looking at each other with desire etc could be concerned about "the size of their phones". "Is that your phone in your pocket or are you happy to see me?", or something.

Lol. And with the new iPhone5; flatout-happy!
    If you're _really_ serious about running for the purpose of running, you're not running with a phone anyway.

Fully agree.
    sflocal wrote: »
    freshmaker wrote: »

Oh please...

Nike may break even on the iOS side and hopefully, make enough to make the venture worthwhile.  If I owned Nike stock (I don't), I would be more upset that Nike was wasting resources on a doomed project like Android.

What you see as Nike "Limiting their customer base" is in reality Nike knowing that customer base is a losing proposition.

But go right ahead, spin my response however way you want.

I use their Running app. It's not the best app; the GPS precision is a bit off, compared to a dedicated unit. But still the app is good; their website has vastly improved (dropping Flash et cetera) and I really applaud them for creating this app.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The initial tweet has sparked some indignation from a number of Android fans, who claim they were led to believe that an Android app was forthcoming. @NikeSupport has been encouraging those fans to sync all of their data with nikeplus.com on their computers, as the website does not need an app to work.

When are Android fans not indignant about anything that's not pro-Android though? Any time a review comes out for an Apple peripheral or product or a game reviewed in the context of iOS, they start posting about the same games being available for Android or that iOS exclusives shouldn't be reviewed or that there should be more reviews about every one of 50+ models of Android phones or obscure peripherals. Now they know what Mac and Linux users have to deal with on the desktop side. It sucks to be on the receiving end of it.

More developers should try this and see how much internet rage they can cause. "Coming soon for Android", leave it for a few months and then just say it was cancelled.

Here are some comments from Gizmodo about this:

"Why wouldn’t they develop for the biggest and best mobile OS? Their loss."

"Laziness. A more diverse range of devices using Android means more effort required to develop for. Having said that however I can’t see how the extra effort involved could possibly outweigh the potential sales and profits to be made.

Way to go Nike for alienating millions of potential customers."

"NIKE have lost a massive market share in the UK, I remember when I was young everybody had Nike air trainers, now many kids, and adults avoid them because they look like chavs I personally think Nike have lost their way."

Ooooh, Nike will rue the day they crossed Android fans and how silly of them limiting themselves to just 400 million iOS users. Don't they know Android fans will just go out and buy whatever product competes with this? Oh look here's one:

http://www.androidcentral.com/fitbit-announces-flex-bluetooth-syncing-android-app-coming-soon

"It will start to offer Bluetooth 4.0 syncing -- initially, only to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2, with more devices "coming soon.""

The great thing about Android is you can pick from so many devices unlike Apple's limited lineup and apps will be optimized for... well, just some of Samsung's products because they make up half of the Android market.

Android fans and Google want the ad-supported, install anything, multiple choice model to be the best model but if it was the best model without any problems then everybody would use it. It comes with a lot of downsides and this here is just one example and Android fans need to accept the bad with the good like iOS users have to.