Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released iOS 6.1.1 to address a number of bugs for iPhone 4S owners who recently ran into a handful of issues following the release of iOS 6.1 for all of Apple's mobile devices.

Galaxy S III mini

The release is currently available as a direct download here (968MB) or as an over-the-air download. It's available only to iPhone 4S users.

Apple said in a knowledge base article that the update "fixes an issue that could impact cellular performance and reliability for iPhone 4S." No release was issued for iPhone 5 or other models of the handset at this time, despite claims from iPhone 5 owners that they were also negatively impacted by the iOS 6.1 update.

Two weeks after Apple released iOS 6.1, a number of iPhone 4S users began reporting battery drain and overheating issues possibly related to the update. British wireless carrier Vodafone UK even sent out a warning telling iPhone 4S owners not to upgrade to the latest OS version because the carrier determined it to cause 3G performance problems.

For instance, Apple's Support Community forum posts reveal a multitude of iPhone owners who were experiencing battery drain and overheating problems after applying the iOS 6.1 update.

In particular, the carrier noted that iOS 6.1 was creating intermittent problems with iPhone 4S models, causing the handsets to experience 3G-related issues with making calls, sending texts and accessing the company's data network. The reports on Apple's support forums, however, suggested that the problems may not be limited to just iPhone 4S users and may also affect iPhone 5 users to some extent.

One iPhone 5 owner saw their battery drain of 35 percent overnight, while an iPhone 3GS user said Apple's latest update actually boosted battery life. It's unclear whether Apple is separately preparing an iOS 6.1.1 update for iPhone 5 owners.

Apple released iOS 6.1 on Jan. 28, delivering feature enhancements like added LTE support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Maybe they left some serious bugs in so that after everyone had jailbroken their devices they'd have to upgrade and lose the ability to have a jailbroken device......

Nah I'm just playing, I don't really go in for those conspiracy theory things
  • Reply 2 of 34
    BS that the issues are with the iPhone 4S only. My iPhone 5 and iPad have had issues with 3G and LTE since the release of iOs 6.1
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Looking forward to 6.1.2.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1: usage: 1hr, 49 min, standby: 13 hrs, 10 minutes: battery level=84% ==== and the only thing turned off is Bluetooth, I never turn off WiFi or LTE...

No battery issues here.

• Reply 5 of 34
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    What is going on at Apple?
    A software upgrade should not break things, especially important ones like battery life.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Does the recent jailbreak work with this version?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Five betas and it was still a buggy mess, requiring a patch barely two weeks after release.
    I think it's time they go back to square one, because every iteration of iOS is buggier and more battery hungry than the last.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Five betas and it was still a buggy mess, requiring a patch barely two weeks after release.

I think it's time they go back to square one, because every iteration of iOS is buggier and more battery hungry than the last.

Not in my experience.

• Reply 9 of 34
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    I have everything on here, bluetooth, wireless, etc on my 4S and never had any problems.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Umm, vodafone UK never sent me a text not to upgrade to 6.1. Arseholes...
    Anyway just upgraded to 6.1.1... and awaiting for 6.1.2. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 34
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Guess I'll have to wait for iPhone 5 fix then...

• Reply 12 of 34
    Odd that they used an iPhone 5 image when the update is only relavent to the 4S.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Does this have the upgraded maps for japan
  • Reply 14 of 34

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Does this have the upgraded maps for japan

I highly doubt it, as it's just a small fix for one model of device.

• Reply 15 of 34
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

What is going on at Apple?

A software upgrade should not break things, especially important ones like battery life.

I don't recall any software being released problem free. Not only does Apple have to support various favors of phones, but has to support various carriers as well. It isn't until the software is in the wild that some issues pop up. 

• Reply 16 of 34
    No problems with 6.1 here. Used GPS over the weekend and reception and battery were just fine. But then, I don't have any issues with the Maps app as well.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »

I don't recall any software being released problem free. Not only does Apple have to support various favors of phones, but has to support various carriers as well. It isn't until the software is in the wild that some issues pop up. 

It's getting crowded.

• Reply 18 of 34
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!  My battery has been crap since the update.

• Reply 19 of 34
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, no software is bug-free. Sure they have to support various flavours, but wouldn't you think that batter life would be one of the "Holy Grails" ?

Apple, themselves mention that battery life is vitally important. I have noticed a decrease in my 4S, hopefully its just a one off.

At the end of the day, and in my opinion, Apple released an update that was "not quite ready".

Vodaphone has advised that iPhone 4S users not upgrade in the UK (I think), no advise was issued where I am, or I missed it.

The evidence that another update is in the pipeline does valaidate to some extent what I have mentioend here.

• Reply 20 of 34
    Significant improvement in battery life on my 4S on AT&T in Silicon Valley.