Why is iMac 233 Slow Online?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a problem. Recently, my original iMac, 233, has begun crawling on the internet. I checked all the settings this morning, and they are the same as my iBook, which is fine online. Remote access says it is connected at 49,333 (a better speed than my iBook ever connects at), but I swear it takes 5 minutes to pull up an email and 10 minutes to load Apple's site. What's wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I have a problem. Recently, my original iMac, 233, has begun crawling on the internet. I checked all the settings this morning, and they are the same as my iBook, which is fine online. Remote access says it is connected at 49,333 (a better speed than my iBook ever connects at), but I swear it takes 5 minutes to pull up an email and 10 minutes to load Apple's site. What's wrong?</strong><hr></blockquote>

os?

browser?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Oh yeah. It has OS 9.1 on it. I use IE 5. Right now it has 128 mb (I think) of ram.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    try trashing the Explorer preferences. Also, delete the cache.waf file (do a Sherlock search).

See if that helps.

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 12
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Oh, i just realized that you said that all internet access was slow, not just IE.

Hmm. Dumb question, but you aren't running any software that is using the connection, like LimeWire or Hotline, are you?

Try a reinstall. This is OS 9, so expect it to flake out on a regular basis.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>Oh, i just realized that you said that all internet access was slow, not just IE.

Hmm. Dumb question, but you aren't running any software that is using the connection, like LimeWire or Hotline, are you?

Try a reinstall. This is OS 9, so expect it to flake out on a regular basis.

-robo</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not that I know of. My mom is mainly using the machine now, and I doubt she would know how to use anything like that.

I'll try a reinstall. I thought it would be OK since I just did that in January, but maybe it needs it again.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I have a problem. What's wrong?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check to make sure that the Primary Name Server address is valid.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    toasttoast Posts: 25member
    The 49,333 connection actually isnt the speed at which you are receiving data. Modem monitors rarely work.

Which is why on my imac 233 i have to connect at 33,600 or absolutely nothing happens.

your problem might not be the imac at all. It could very well be your ISP. If it doesnt sort itself out then i would suggest:

getting another machine around and connect with that, see if the line is working properly.

I woudlnt recommend getting a technician around seeing as most of them know **** -all.

Im with NTL and i get really **** connections, Infact i have to normally try 10 times to get a worthwile one.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by AllInOne:

<strong>

Check to make sure that the Primary Name Server address is valid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

DO THAT FOR SURE! I had the same problem and this fixed it. Also don't forget to do the usual. Check virtual memory settings, rebuild the desktop, zap your pram, defrag, and trash preferences wantonly. Also might want to reinstall OS 9, or explorer. Good luck!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The 233 MHz iMac is slow at EVERYTHING.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    wow! those guys are fast.

thanx robo, allinone...

• Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The 233 MHz iMac is slow at EVERYTHING. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I know it's slow with everything (I had it for 3 years), but it was never slow on the internet until a few months ago.

I'll try the things you guys suggested.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    toasttoast Posts: 25member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The 233 MHz iMac is slow at EVERYTHING. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Some of us cant afford a new mac.

But i can do more on my rev.a than most ppl on their 700mhz G4 imac.