UC Irvine says Apple's iPad helped students score 23% higher on exams

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After launching a new iMedEd initiative built around Apple's iPad, the University of California at Irvine reports that students in the program have now scored "an average of 23 percent higher on their national exams" than previous classes, "despite having similar incoming GPAs and MCAT scores."

iMedEd
iMedEd students use Apple's iPad to enhance learning Credit: Steve Zylius, UC Irvine

A report on the innovative program (noted by Jim Dalrymple of the Loop), which launched in 2010, says the "iPad-based curriculum mirrors new age of patient care."

Apple has drawn particular attention the iMedEd Initiative, designating it as an "Apple Distinguished Program" for being an "innovative, digital-based educational platform that conforms to the 21st century learning styles and needs of students throughout the world," wrote UC Irvine School of Medicine dean Dr. Ralph V. Clayman.

Under the program, incoming UC Irvine medial students receive iPads that provide digital copies of all textbooks, along with access to podcasts of all lectures and other instructional materials. The iPads also provide secure access to patient records and recorded data from "digital stethoscopes, bedside diagnostic ultrasound units and a variety of other medical devices."

A group of medical students participating in the iMedEd program have formed an "innovators group" to discus the latest technologies that could factor into the medical school's curriculum, and have partnered with the Donald Bren School of Information & Computer Sciences to hold a "Med AppJam" devoted to building new iPad apps for healthcare.

In just ten days, more than 100 participants had developed 19 specialized iPad apps for healthcare, including "one focused on acute care during natural disasters and another that provides instruction for bedside diagnostic ultrasonography."

An international program has also formed to investigate how the iPad can be paired with a portable point-of-care ultrasound unit in order "to improve healthcare and medical education in Peru, Australia, China, Vietnam, Nicaragua, India and Israel."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    23%? Sounds inflated to me. Color me skeptical. I can understand that an Apple-centric site wouldn't have details on that. Going to have to read something for more in depth info. Wonder where...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Yeah, but it's Irvine.

Now were it UC San Diego.... lol
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pffft. College users are using toys to learn? Don't they know iPads are toys!!!! /s
  • Reply 4 of 11
    This means Apples stock is going to tank.
  • Reply 5 of 11

Any education platform built specifically for the tools it uses and which has the full triumvirate of human support is going to create better results than one that is making do with shoddy or inappropriate resources, even if it has the full triumvirate of human support.

Having said that, I'm glad the iPad is being worked into education so well. We can only hope this will expand nigh-exponentially.

• Reply 6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

23%? Sounds inflated to me. Color me skeptical. I can understand that an Apple-centric site wouldn't have details on that. Going to have to read something for more in depth info. Wonder where...

ditto. Skeptical. iPad by itself to read text etc hmmm no, ipad with great software... hmmm maybe.

• Reply 7 of 11
    Call the University itself and see what they say. Or is it easier to bib-dribble about it?
  • Reply 8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

You could start by clicking on the "hyperlink" within a "world wide web browser," which will direct you to the UCI's report. If you don't trust the dean, maybe you can set up an independent study on the subject to get to the bottom of this controversy. 

You'll probably need an education first, so that's where I'd suggest you start. 

• Reply 9 of 11
    Would this be considered "real work"? I'm not sure since it does not mention them using MS Office.
  • Reply 10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You could start by clicking on the "hyperlink" within a "world wide web browser," which will direct you to the UCI's report. If you don't trust the dean, maybe you can set up an independent study on the subject to get to the bottom of this controversy. 

You'll probably need an education first, so that's where I'd suggest you start. 

Wow - bitter? Thanks for the tip. :)

• Reply 11 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ddawson100 wrote:
    23%? Sounds inflated to me.

23% of all people know that users of Apple products are smarter.

To be fair though, it looks like there are at least 3 Apple Geniuses in the classroom ready to help people with their Keynotes.

The improvement might not strictly come from the use of iPads of course but tablets in general. Having immediate access to information and concise searchable apps instead of textbooks has to make some things more efficient.

I wonder if the course will be limited to iPads. Maybe the people standing at the back are disgruntled Android tablet owners who couldn't take part. They look like the kind of people who would have Android tablets (uncool).