President Obama mentions Apple's planned U.S. manufacturing in State of the Union address

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook was in attendance when his company was mentioned as one of the country's leading corporations that plans to bring jobs back to America.

State of the Union
President Obama addresses the nation during the 2013 State of the Union. | Source: The White House

While Cook himself wasn't singled out during the President's speech, Apple was cited as a potential driver of job growth with its decision to restart manufacturing of certain Mac computers in the U.S.
Caterpillar is bringing jobs back from Japan. Ford is bringing jobs back from Mexico. And this year, Apple will start making Macs in America again.
In the address, President Obama gave an overview on how America is faring, saying the nation's economy is slowly recovering as it regains footing in the international market after a debilitating financial crisis. He also drove home the main points of his platform, lauding a balanced approach to deficit reduction with a focus on comprehensive bipartisan tax reform.

Obama wants $9 minimum wage. Tim Cook spotted behind the First Lady #sotu #jobsnow #cooknow @appleinsider twitter.com/DanielEran/sta?

— Daniel Eran Dilger (@DanielEran)

As for Cook (pictured above), 2013 is the second year in a row that a person with ties to Apple has been asked to accompany the First Lady to the important event. In 2012, Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, was in attendance as the President pointed to the tech guru's ingenuity as an example of America's best and brightest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    ... and hopefully this won't be the sole effort Apple, and many others, will make towards improving the economy of the coutry wherein they got their start(s).
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I'm confused. Has Apple re-started its own manufacturing, or is it FoxConn that actually does the manufacturing? Isn't it actually FoxConn that will begin manufacturing Apple products in the U.S., and FoxConn that should be mentioned?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    How does Obama know Apple will make Macs here? Cook won't even tell us what or if Apple will build computers here.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Please make the US made Mac minis powerful, with a real GPU. I really want to buy one! But American made alone isn't going to sell the Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Yes thank you apple!!!

I mean what other company has done as much for U.S job growth as you have. $50 billion per quarter revenue and your investing a staggering one time $100 million in producing some macs that will be sold with ridiculous profit margins. I have no words. MERICA!!!
  • Reply 6 of 44

this is such BS and smoke and mirrors OBOMBER IS FULL OF DooDoo only problem is that his skin color matches the DIARRHEA coming out of his trap HE'S SO FULL OF IT and there JOBS NUMBERS ARE BS TOO we are in a NOSE DIVE and the APPLE PRODUCTS are just a small fraction of the picture and are only going to be parts sent from CHINA FOXXCON and put together here ALA IKEA and nothing will me "MANUFACTURED" here in the USA just ASSEMBLED here and APPLE will prob get super wealthy TAX BREAKS for doing this-- the need to BUILD THE FACTORIES HERE AND BUILD EVERYTHING HERE LETS GET REAL PEOPLE!!! here are the REAL JOBS STATS: http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/shocking-numbers-that-show-the-media-is-lying-to-you-about-unemployment-in-america

• Reply 7 of 44

Mac comes home.

• Reply 8 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

this is such BS and smoke and mirrors OBOMBER IS FULL OF DooDoo only problem is that his skin color matches the DIARRHEA coming out of his trap HE'S SO FULL OF IT [...]

Did you just get released from prison or what? We haven't seen any posts from you since September of last year. Rant on dude. No one cares.

Edit: removed URL from the quote to help minimize the propagation of the spam.

• Reply 9 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I'm confused. Has Apple re-started its own manufacturing, or is it FoxConn that actually does the manufacturing? Isn't it actually FoxConn that will begin manufacturing Apple products in the U.S., and FoxConn that should be mentioned?

Apple contracts out with Foxconn, Foxconn is the company that operates the assembly portion.  I don't know who actually does the mfg of the various custom parts like the cases. I don't know if Foxconn contracts that out, or if Apple contracts that out to someone else.

Each product contains various parts. corning makes the glass in the US, Samsung mfg some parts in the US, they also use Toshiba, or someone else for RAM, SSD, which might be made in Japan or  elsewhere.  Seagate or some other drive mfg handles the hard drives either in the US or somewhere else.  So to say that Foxconn mfgs the products is a little misleading. It's basically assembly work primarily which is a sub set of what mfg does.  

It's still Americans that will be employees of the company performing the work, which is what ultimately matters.  Apple is at least trying to bring back mfg type jobs back to the US, which is commendable.

• Reply 10 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

How does Obama know Apple will make Macs here? Cook won't even tell us what or if Apple will build computers here.

Tim Cook already mentioned that publicly, I think you missed that public statement.  I think he made it at the last analysts conference call back in Jan.  The Mac Mini's were one line, but I think the MacPro are as well.  Supposedly, some of the new iMacs are being shipped from a Fremont location instead of China.  So if you bought a new iMac and it's a custom product that gets shipped from Fremont, the likelihood is that it was assembled there.  Either way, it's a step forward to help get people working.

• Reply 11 of 44
    Dear Appleinsider,
    Please purge the racist comment immediately. I think it is the most horrible thing I've seen in print in a very long time.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    this is such BS and smoke and mirrors OBOMBER IS FULL OF DooDoo only problem is that his skin color matches the <span id="user_taw" style="margin-right:0;">DIARRHEA coming out of his trap HE'S SO FULL OF IT and there JOBS NUMBERS ARE BS TOO we are in a NOSE DIVE and the APPLE PRODUCTS are just a small fraction of the picture and are only going to be parts sent from CHINA FOXXCON and put together here ALA IKEA and nothing will me "MANUFACTURED" here in the USA just ASSEMBLED here and APPLE will prob get super wealthy TAX BREAKS for doing this-- the need to BUILD THE FACTORIES HERE AND BUILD EVERYTHING HERE LETS GET REAL PEOPLE!!!</span>
    here are the REAL JOBS STATS:

the fecal references will get you no-where. ditto on the racism. and the spelling, grammar, and puncutation? shoulda stayed in skool ... i'm just sayin'.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    drblank wrote: »
    Tim Cook already mentioned that publicly, I think you missed that public statement.  I think he made it at the last analysts conference call back in Jan.  The Mac Mini's were one line, but I think the MacPro are as well.  Supposedly, some of the new iMacs are being shipped from a Fremont location instead of China.  So if you bought a new iMac and it's a custom product that gets shipped from Fremont, the likelihood is that it was assembled there.  Either way, it's a step forward to help get people working.

$100 million measly step forward.

Look at it this way Zukerberg gave away almost 5x the amount Apple is investing.

If you want to see a company that is actually betting on american manufacturing, look at forbs.
  • Reply 14 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

$100 million measly step forward.

Look at it this way Zukerberg gave away almost 5x the amount Apple is investing.

If you want to see a company that is actually betting on american manufacturing, look at forbs.

Forbs...I love those types of plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forb

• Reply 15 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I think Apple will ship parts (made by contracted manufacturers) to the US and have assembly plants put the parts together for sale in this country.

• Reply 16 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Mac comes home.

Made in USA.  Thats when there was actually people working and making technological parts and computers here.  How nice.

• Reply 17 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... and hopefully this won't be the sole effort Apple, and many others, will make towards improving the economy of the coutry wherein they got their start(s).

Apple the once great 'innovators', now more like the ruthless 'litigators'... There's still hope things can change

So is your shitty signature gonna stay there forever? I find it sad how some have the narcissism to quite themselves, especially when said quote is neither clever, nor witty, nor true. Seriously, do you find it necessary for people to read that with every single one of your posts?

• Reply 18 of 44
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Now this is brilliant: The same day Obama announces the new Mac plant as a help for the economy, arrives Tim Cook and talks about the Mac being an obsoleted product in the "post PC" era. And then some people don't understand the Apple stock decline.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Now this is brilliant: The same day Obama announces the new Mac plant as a help for the economy, arrives Tim Cook and talks about the Mac being an obsoleted product in the "post PC" era. And then some people don't understand the Apple stock decline.

uh, what?

Apple's in trouble because the CEO speaks the truth or because the President name drops a successful company in the SOTU?  Please clarify.

• Reply 20 of 44

The good news is that millions of Americans watching the speech will have heard of this for the first time. It is terrific free advertising for Apple as people will resonate with bringing jobs back to the U.S. It will produce great good will toward Apple and its products, a great PR coup.