wobble at 1280x1024/75hz on apple studio display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have the last genereation apple CRT studio display and am noticing a fair amount of wobble running at 1280x1024. is this normal or is there an issue with the monitor. 1280x1024 runs at 75hz. there is no wobble running any resolution below this.

this of course begs the question, do i sacrifice the extra screen real estate or go for the flicker free?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I have the same problem with a couple of the pretty 17" CRTs at my lab. 3 do it and seem to run it fine, it just seems like a random thing. I'll recheck tomorrow to make sure and get back to you.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    have you looked into it yet, groverat?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It seems to be a random thing, they are all happy and non-wobbly now. Sorry I can't be helpful.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Two septembers ago I had a similar problem with my Apple Studio Display (Flat CRT) when I was in 1600 x 1200 at 64 Hz. I never figured out a solution until the problem simply disappeared when I changed dorm rooms the next year. Upon asking around it turns out there was a boiler for the building underneath the room next to me which may have produced a magnetic field that might have interfered with the monitor at such high resolutions (that's a lot of if's). Moving away from the bioler to the 4th floor completely eliminated the problem. SO...I would suggest checking your general vicinity for sources of magnetic interference that are not stable (i.e. one's that cannot be easily deguassed) and moving away from them if possible.

Just a thought...

Blueflame
  • Reply 5 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blueflame:

<strong>Two septembers ago I had a similar problem with my Apple Studio Display (Flat CRT) when I was in 1600 x 1200 at 64 Hz. I never figured out a solution until the problem simply disappeared when I changed dorm rooms the next year. Upon asking around it turns out there was a boiler for the building underneath the room next to me which may have produced a magnetic field that might have interfered with the monitor at such high resolutions (that's a lot of if's). Moving away from the bioler to the 4th floor completely eliminated the problem. SO...I would suggest checking your general vicinity for sources of magnetic interference that are not stable (i.e. one's that cannot be easily deguassed) and moving away from them if possible.

Just a thought...

Blueflame</strong><hr></blockquote>

nothing crazy like a boiler or anything, but i think my power is crappy. think i'll have any luck with a power conditioner?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    a few things.

1. have you tried plugging them into different outlets?

2. have you looked to see if they still wobble with the lights off?

3. do you have a fan plugged into the same line? if so, unlplug it.

4. try a nice UPS to plug them into, hopefully that would clean up the signal.

at my old work out power lines ran all sorts on interference on the lines. screen would wobble all over the place. the Mac studio displays had less of a problem than the generic beige monitors, but still had the problem. it's almost always interference from an outside source, usually electrical.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I'm with alcimedes. I've seen this a hundred times, and 99% of those times it's a power line running within 3ft of the CRT... The other 1% is some nerd that shakes their knee against the desk (no kiddin'). Move the display 4' and see if the problem persists, if it does check the outlet and make sure theres no ocilating ventalation devices (fans) on the same line.

LOVE THOSE BIG WERDS!!!

j (NOT moderator jamie!)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Have you tried degaussing? That usually helps my Studio Display in that resolution!