Home Depot abandoning BlackBerry platform in favor of Apple's iPhone and iOS

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kingofbeer wrote: »
    Well, we'll see. Given the fact there are already 70000+ apps available plus BBOS10 plays as well (repacked) Android apps AND Qt apps (as well supported by SailfishOS, Ubuntu mobile and Tizen) I hardly doubt you're right...

Have you seen the quality of the apps? A lot of them are ports and from what I've read they are poor ports. Their Java runtime for Android apps might actually be better than the ports. Are Android apps and Qt apps even available yet?

One of the big issues is that it appears to be missing staple apps. WIthout those, regardless of anything else, I do see how it can be considered a successful platform.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Afaik roughly 8000 apps are Android apps that were repacked, the rest are genuine Qt apps.
    What is a staple app?
    Whatsapp is available already/or at least announced, so are the most other common apps. I guess that BB well soon overtake WP in both, sales figures and app availability.
    The new Z10 is only available in CA and UK yet, and with a brighter availability more apps will come for sure.
    Of course, Blackberry will rather stay a working horse that will hardly achieve more than 10% market share , but a rather cool one! However, the Mac has a 6% market share on the desktop for years now and is still not dead, or is it? ;)
    Therefore, I wouldn't underestimate this company, they have a market, that's all I wanted to say:)
  • Reply 63 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kingofbeer wrote: »
    Oh you Americans are so funny...
    I read this news today and traced back its origin to this forum.
    As a non-American, I have to admit that I've never ever heard about a shop called "Home Depot" before. But how can anybody really believe that switching rougly 10000 devices from one non-US company to a US-company would have ANY stronger impact on the estimated 5-8 mil Blackberry sales in q1/2013?
    10000 devices is peantus, and as I don't know "Home Depot" I suspect that the vast majority of US-americans doesn't know companys like Metro, which uses at least the same amount of BB handsets but is European?

Hmmm "estimated" is the key word. What if BB ship/sell 3MM? In addition, Home Depot may be just one company but there are 10s or 100s of companies considering a change, if not more. Those small numbers add up.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Yes, true again. However, "considering" is also a keyword. Given the fact that the new BES also administers iPhones and Android devices it suits very well in a BYOD environment - and if companies start using BES they might also consider a mixed environment or maybe even try the new BB devices. I'm not convinced that Blackberry will survive, though. Buy I find they offer a great solution for the enterprise, and sales appear to be strong. And I still have the impression that there are quite many BBs around if you look what the business folks are using.
    That recent BB sales were weak does not necessarily mean people actually switching - it could also reflect people were just waiting for the new system, especially as the introduction was somewhat delayed.
    I'm really curious when the first official sales numbers will appear, but I have the strong feeling Blackberry could even beat Nokia instantly...
  • Reply 65 of 66
    doublepost
  • Reply 66 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post

Oh you Americans are so funny...

I read this news today and traced back its origin to this forum.

As a non-American, I have to admit that I've never ever heard about a shop called "Home Depot" before. But how can anybody really believe that switching rougly 10000 devices from one non-US company to a US-company would have ANY stronger impact on the estimated 5-8 mil Blackberry sales in q1/2013?

10000 devices is peantus, and as I don't know "Home Depot" I suspect that the vast majority of US-americans doesn't know companys like Metro, which uses at least the same amount of BB handsets but is European?

Hello, wake up, there is a world out there and Blackberry is very widely used. I suspect the BB usage rather to grow than to decline due to security issues with other services - US-based cloud services like Office365 or Google docs do not fulfill European privacy rights, therefore it is illegal for European companies to use these services. And, are there really people in the US thinking that any Russian or Chinese companies would ever use US-based services??

Blackberry is at present the only alternative if companies are looking for secure services that are not under surveillance of US authorities, therefore Blackberry HAS a market.

It's quite ok and not unusual at all that some American hardware store decides to support the local business in favor to the Canadian, but that has no impact on the worldwide sales at all. Nor on the stock, that's ridiculous:)

Of course these numbers don't matter, but after the release of iPhone5 every good news no matter how significant is a worthy and welcome news.

For the iTeam.