Apple reportedly has 100-person team working on unannounced smartwatch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    There might be a good demand for wearables, even in a watch form, (obviously not for wear by workers in fields that require heavy duty hand use, unless also available in other form factors)

I am a lifelong wristwatch hater, they drive me crazy, lame stupid timepieces. I've been offered fine watches and don't want them. I know many people who love their watches. Etc. blah blah blah.

However, for some reason I got mad that the original watch size Nano was redesigned before I could buy one. I seemed to be fascinated with the idea of getting some nice wrist straps and turning on the clock face and having a tiny iPod too. Then there's that Dick Tracy watch thing from the comic strips, ages ago, would be nice to do Face Time or have Siri help you. It also would be easier to see the time on my wrist I guess...

I'd also like to see a watch fob, lanyard thing. I want it to be capable of making a FaceTime call, although that is probably a ways away yet. Agree with Spammy that sports/medical applications will be prominent.

If they could make this thing continually charge on available light, wow! I would buy my first 'watch' !

The point is, I want one of these things, yet I don't like watches, so there is clearly some appeal there, even to me. There are a lot of companies trying to make a watch wearable, so they must see the interest there.

The key issue to solve in this watch idea is mainly the audio implementation IMHO.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

#1 I am beyond glad that you my friend are not any type of management in a good CE company.

#2 You are the reason Apple does not do focus groups. You, like the majority of the worlds population, cannot imagine beyond the small boxes that you live in. If device A has been used for function A, why would a variation of device A be any better? Hint: It's device B in the format of device A that does functions a-p.

He is the kind of people at VZ who rejected the iPhone when it was offered to them and then made a song and dance about the rejection.

• Reply 43 of 89
    100 designers? Or 100 engineers and designers? In the engineering works, this distinction is clear. In Apple, it is particularly strong. In the Samsung trial, it was revealed that the design team reporting to Ive was very small. So it's unlikely that there are 100 designers working on this. The team that developed the original iPod was also quite lean. Consider this rumor unlikely to be true.
  • Reply 44 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

"Recuperation in demand for luxury watches post recession, robust demand from developing markets especially Asia-Pacific and rising popularity of fashionable, vintage and innovative models are forecast to drive market growth."

If Apple was interested to satisfy 0.1% of the population (most reach people on the planet), iPhone would have been golden plated with the diamond Apple logo on the back.

What? You think the iPhone 5 is comparable to a Timex watch? That it's not a luxury item? That the entire $49 billion is luxury items only? What's your point?

I suppose you still think that a $49 billion market is people getting rid of their watches. (and I missed the part where it said that only 0.1% of the population was buying watches. Oh, that's right, you didn't even read the article.)

... and what could be more fashionable and innovative than an Ive designed smart watch.

• Reply 45 of 89
    [IMG]http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/appleiwatch130210.png[/IMG]

Future Smartwatches = Digital handcuffs

*when slide to unlock becomes a cost option*
  • Reply 46 of 89
    peter236 wrote: »
    Most people do it by looking at the time in their cars, or on their computer or phone. Their is no need for another watch. This iWatch will take sales away from the iPhone, which is not good for profits.

The iPhone/iPod touch ate into traditional iPod profits. I guess that was a bad idea, too. When shareholder profits stall innovation that's where I have a problem with it.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    There's already an Italian smart watch that works with iPhone, it's $400 though, probably around what apple will charge. That's a lot for saving yourself from reaching into your pocket.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    That $400 Italian 'I'm Watch' is garbage. Their newer one will be priced under $200 and will most likely still be garbage.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Steve said they cracked the puzzle for Apple TV. Guess it's the iWatchTV.
  • Reply 50 of 89

Autumn 2012 : Apple reinvents the watch: iWatch (human skin surface currents being used to transmit information to earphones). At that time, rumors already circulated that Apple was secretly working on a way to convey the audio information directly to the brain. Other rumors from sources (which insisted to remain unidentified) also speculated that Apple was working on the most secret project of its history (code name « Wozniak »), aiming at implementing a neuronal version of the iOS into the human brain (the only minor remaining technical difficulty being to implement into it a 5.1 encoded audio information).

• Reply 51 of 89
    @jason98 @peter236 @loserInsertNumber

You're the living proof of why Apple's Apple, and you're not them.
    Thankyou for existing, you have a purpose in life.
  • Reply 52 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by caldog View Post

Actually quite the opposite. First, it may be called an iwatch but telling the time will be the least of its abilities.  Your phone isn't just a phone anymore right?   The iWatch will be a huge compliment to the iPhone increasing sales.  You will need to have both to take full advantage.  The watch will display incoming texts, calls, reminders, notes, emails, all handled by Siri and your iPhone.  It will be an information hub.  If you don't have the iPhone it won't be of much use.  If it's a huge hit you will see a huge increase in iPhone sales.

It looks like the iWatch and the iPhone working in tandem will take sales away from iPad, which again is not good for sales.

• Reply 53 of 89

Quote:

Actually quite the opposite. First, it may be called an iwatch but telling the time will be the least of its abilities.  Your phone isn't just a phone anymore right?   The iWatch will be a huge compliment to the iPhone increasing sales.  You will need to have both to take full advantage.  The watch will display incoming texts, calls, reminders, notes, emails, all handled by Siri and your iPhone.  It will be an information hub.  If you don't have the iPhone it won't be of much use.  If it's a huge hit you will see a huge increase in iPhone sales.

Either it will be an information hub (add security and payment functionality) or maybe it will turn out to be a standalone device. When you carry an iPad or notebook you end up to take 3 to 4 devices with you. I would be perfectly content if Apple could either add phone functionality to the iPad or build this wearable device as a standalone working "iPhone mini" plus BT headset.

Then again, because a wristwatch is very much a fashion item, it should not hold a big display. I don't think people would wear an Apple branded computerlike thing on their arms. I hope it will turn out as something more like a bracelet - not as slim as the Nike fuelband though. I am very curious what Apple comes up with.

• Reply 54 of 89
    I happened to see this article this morning before reading AI. It addresses almost every point raised here by previous posters, and a couple more.

http://kfury.com/what-an-apple-watch-is-good-for

I'm not sure that I would go for one, but then, I'm an old fart who still wears a self-winding analog clock face wristwatch, even though I have iPhone and multiple other devices that tell time.

A device such as the one described in the above article does sound useful though.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

100 designers? Or 100 engineers and designers? In the engineering works, this distinction is clear. In Apple, it is particularly strong. In the Samsung trial, it was revealed that the design team reporting to Ive was very small. So it's unlikely that there are 100 designers working on this. The team that developed the original iPod was also quite lean. Consider this rumor unlikely to be true.

I recall a history that said the iPhone also had "100" total people assigned to it.  

Seems to be a favorite number at Apple for major projects.  It no doubt includes support personnel.

Judging from past histories, probably 1/3 to 1/2 are engineers, designers, developers.  The rest would be managers, secretaries, assistants, tech writers, ad copywriters, model makers, patent attorneys, testers, and so forth.

Do you recall what was said at trial about the core team size?  Thanks!

• Reply 56 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Quote:

It looks like the iWatch and the iPhone working in tandem will take sales away from iPad, which again is not good for sales.

No...

It will be a basic cell phone in a watch (or wrist band) form factor.

At an unlocked, unsubsidized  price of $150--$250, it will meet the basic phone needs of most emerging, feature phone and prepaid phone markets.

Those who want smartphone features, when they wish, will carry a companion device (iPod Touch, iPad Mini, iPad) that contains no cell radios -- rather interfaces [BT tethered to] the phone on your wrist.

• Reply 57 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No...

It will be a basic cell phone in a watch (or wrist band) form factor.

At an unlocked, unsubsidized  price of $150--$250, it will meet the basic phone needs of most emerging, feature phone and prepaid phone markets.

Those who want smartphone features, when they wish, will carry a companion device (iPod Touch, iPad Mini, iPad) that contains no cell radios -- rather interfaces [BT tethered to] the phone on your wrist.

yeah ... the iPhone nano ... and you can wear on the beach. It buys you a mojito at the bar.

• Reply 58 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    palomine wrote: »
    THowever, for some reason I got mad that the original watch size Nano was redesigned before I could buy one. I seemed to be fascinated with the idea of getting some nice wrist straps and turning on the clock face and having a tiny iPod too.

Let me introduce you to a place where you can still buy that product. ebay.com
  • Reply 59 of 89

If they can make the cell phone parts small enough, I can see upscale markets for a wristband phone.

Consider sports fans buying wristband phones with the colors and logos of their favorite teams.

It also could be a great promotional item for any cause, group or organization.

I can just see the Hillary 2016 wristbands now.

... Instead of wearing a red, pink or green ribbon or buying a Poppy, you could buy a wristband to promote (and have a portion donated to) your favorite charity.

• Reply 60 of 89

A wrist-mounted device with a gyroscopic sensor could be used to capture gestures in 3-d space, blurring the lines between an epileptic fit and operating your iPhone.

Wonder if iWatch is the main reason for the seemingly over-generous settlement with Swiss Railways.