President Obama mentions Apple's planned U.S. manufacturing in State of the Union address

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

uh, what?

Apple's in trouble because the CEO speaks the truth or because the President name drops a successful company in the SOTU?  Please clarify.

Maybe the point of the "post-PC" era is that people don't have a job, so they only need internet surfing and facebook, without any need of running professional software anymore (ie: no more need for Photoshop, Maya, MATLab, C/C++ compilers, finite element analysis, complete office packages... we no longer need any of such software because people lack a job). If that's the case, yes, I can admit Tim Cook was smarter than president Obama by foreseeing what the "post-PC" era is all about, but, well, in that case maybe he was smarter, but certainly not a patriot if he chose for the US a product line obsoleted by the "post-PC" era.

• Reply 22 of 44

They've already started trials of US production haven't they? Remember those iMacs assembled in USA? http://************/2012/12/05/assembled-in-usa-imacs-are-originating-in-fremont-ca/ ;

edit:

ugh, URL blocking, really? that's from 9to5mac dot com

• Reply 23 of 44
    Wouldn't it be ironic if the whole manufacturing process was automated and just run by robots?
  • Reply 24 of 44
    8.5 million have left the job market. Unemployment still 8%. And that is the cooked number. So let's pay the unions back by raising the minimum wage tax. Oh and about making Macintosh computers in America, what was the least profitable Apple's line? Here is some more bread to go with the circus.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    How does Obama know Apple will make Macs here? Cook won't even tell us what or if Apple will build computers here.
    Cook mention in an interview that Apple will be spending 100 million dollars this years to bring Mac manufacturing to the United States. And I would also think that Cook mention that his company was bring more employment to the US on his many visits to the White House.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I'm confused. Has Apple re-started its own manufacturing, or is it FoxConn that actually does the manufacturing? Isn't it actually FoxConn that will begin manufacturing Apple products in the U.S., and FoxConn that should be mentioned?
    Foxconn will do anything Apple tell it to do, Foxconn will be building a large factory in either Los Angles or Detroit because Apple asked them to do so, yes maybe Foxconn should be mention as Apple partner( because they are Apple's most important partner) but it is mostly true the Apple is bring manufacturing back to the United States of America, with the help of their asian partners Foxconn.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for Cook (pictured above), 2013 is the second year in a row that a person with ties to Apple has been asked to accompany the First Lady to the important event. In 2012, Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, was in attendance as the President pointed to the tech guru's ingenuity as an example of America's best and brightest.

More positive free press for Apple at the highest level! I wonder how many people world wide watched the US president praise Apple?

• Reply 28 of 44
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

More positive free press for Apple at the highest level! I wonder how many people world wide watched the US president praise Apple?

Well, with the slight detail that president Obama didn't actually praise Apple, but a Mac factory, which happens to be cannibalized by other Apple products, according to Tim Cook announcement stating we've now officially entered the "post-PC" era, whatever it means.

• Reply 29 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ecs wrote: »
    Now this is brilliant: The same day Obama announces the new Mac plant as a help for the economy, arrives Tim Cook and talks about the Mac being an obsoleted product in the "post PC" era. And then some people don't understand the Apple stock decline.

Actually, I can't understand trolls like you.

Cook never said that the Mac was being obsoleted. Jobs stated that we're entering a 'post-pc' era where PCs will always continue to be sold and consumers will also be buying mobile devices like the iPad - where Apple has an overwhelming lead. In case you haven't noticed, Apple's Mac sales are higher than they've ever been (other than the last quarter where they had supply problems and none of their main product to sell for most of the quarter).

So please explain how that's bad news.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Kudos to Apple for following Samsung's plans announced last year to bring tech jobs to the US.

• Reply 31 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Well, with the slight detail that president Obama didn't actually praise Apple, but a Mac factory, which happens to be cannibalized by other Apple products, according to Tim Cook announcement stating we've now officially entered the "post-PC" era, whatever it means.

Having the Apple CEO a guest of the president of the most powerfull country in the world...then mentioned in a positive light. How can that possibley be bad?

This was watched by (i'm guessing) a billion or more people accross the globe. They see the Apple CEO..... they hear the president praise the company. How in the world could this be bad?????

• Reply 32 of 44
    The good news is that millions of Americans watching the speech will have heard of this for the first time. It is terrific free advertising for Apple as people will resonate with bringing jobs back to the U.S. It will produce great good will toward Apple and its products, a great PR coup.

The question now is, will Samsung be able to copy this PR strategy?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macrulez wrote: »
    Kudos to Apple for following Samsung's plans announced last year to bring tech jobs to the US.

Desperate and transparent. Are you paid by the post?
  • Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Having the Apple CEO a guest of the president of the most powerfull country in the world...then mentioned in a positive light. How can that possibley be bad?

This was watched by (i'm guessing) a billion or more people accross the globe. They see the Apple CEO..... they hear the president praise the company. How in the world could this be bad?????

Whilst I agree this is good PR for Apple, I think you might be over-estimating the audience of a billion, i.e. almost 1 in 7 people on the planet.  Most people outside of the U.S. wouldn't have seen this - I don't think it was even shown in the UK, maybe on one of the news channels. Hell, most of the people I know wouldn't even know that such a thing as the State of the Union address even existed, let alone seen it.

• Reply 35 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ecs wrote: »

What it means, as you well know but pretend not to, is that the tablet will be selling in the hundreds of millions per year (he said "triple"), and bringing therefore millions of new Apple users into the system, thus continuing the growth in Mac sales and the decline in PC (Windows) sales.

You know this—you can't not know this because he made it very clear—but you are bent on bumming out the thread.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Desperate and transparent. Are you paid by the post?

No, AppleInsider is, by page views.

So what part of my post do you feel is incorrect? 

And TS, isn't Mr. Flaneur's post a violation of this board's only rule?

• Reply 37 of 44
    Americans working for Foxconn.

• Reply 38 of 44

I still think it remains to be seen where Apple's final manufacturing point will be in the US. Union labor is expensive ... even more so in California.  Any company - even one with the amount of money that Apple has - is going to be looking at the bottom dollar and how those increased manufacturing costs cut into their profit margin. Hell, investors and Wall Street went nuts when Apple went from 44% to 38% gross margin in the holiday quarter.  You think they'll like losing another 2-3% to increased manufacturing costs in states with high labor and tax rates? I thought the cost of manufacturing in California was one of the primary reasons Tim Cook shipped the last few hundred jobs at Elk Grove over to China several years ago?  I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they return to a state other than California.

That being said, Apple has generally ignored investors for most of their history.  Maybe Cook and the Board see bringing jobs into California as a way for them to gain some PR ground lost over the past year, lower margins be damned. Also, the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are small volume products compared to their notebook lines. Maybe they've finally hit a volume point where the costs of getting the necessary components to China for final assembly is just about even with just shipping them to the Wes coast.

One thing you can always say about Apple ... the ride they'll take you on is sometimes exciting, sometimes frustrating, but always interesting!

• Reply 39 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Whilst I agree this is good PR for Apple, I think you might be over-estimating the audience of a billion, i.e. almost 1 in 7 people on the planet.  Most people outside of the U.S. wouldn't have seen this - I don't think it was even shown in the UK, maybe on one of the news channels. Hell, most of the people I know wouldn't even know that such a thing as the State of the Union address even existed, let alone seen it.

You have a good point.....thats why I said I was guessing at how many people might have seen it. I wonder though how many timesparts of it will be re printed and quoted by various websites/blogs and print media accross the globe? Its still a great dose of free advertising for Apple....its a good thing.

• Reply 40 of 44

The iPhone is assembled in China from parts made all over the world. If you would like to see more of the real story of who is making money off the iPhone, see the diagram below. It is a little complex, but you can see that the iPhone is a "Global" phone and saying it is made in China is actually ridiculous. It is only assembled in China from parts made everywhere, including the US.

"The final assembly and customization of the iPhone takes place at the Foxconn factory in Shenzhen, China, a complex that employs 250,000 workers. Foxconn is a subdiary of the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Company which specializes in contract manufacturing. For each iPhone imported in the United States, its entire factory gate price ($194.04 in this case) is attributed as a trade deficit with China. In reality, only about 3% of the wholesale added value takes place in China, with the bulk of it concerning Korean and German suppliers (mostly for flash memory and tactile screen). In this case, the product exaggerates the true extent of trade imbalances since the country of origin accounts for a small share of the total added value of the good. By controlling distribution and marketing, Apple is able to capture about 45% of its total value."