Apple planning TV-related media event in March ahead of Apple TV relaunch this fall [Update: Nope]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is gearing up for a special media event next month related to its television initiative that may deliver the tools developers will need to prepare applications for a formal relaunch of the company's Apple TV product, analysts for Jefferies Equity Research said Wednesday.

Apple TV

Editor's Note: It has been brought to our attention that certain specific claims of the Jefferies report are somewhat suspect, specifically the following media event allegedly slated for March. AppleInsider has reached out to analyst Peter Misek, who maintains a high level of confidence regarding his hardware predictions. As with any research-based report, the information within should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Channel checks indicate Apple has a product event in March that is Apple-TV related (possibly an iTV SDK introduction)," analyst Peter Misek wrote in a report issued to clients. "We think a Sep/Oct iTV launch is being targeted."

Currently, Misek is modeling Apple to sell 2 million of revamped Apple TVs during the third quarter of this year but told investors he may need to be pushed back his estimates a full quarter if the launch of the product occurs in October rather than September.
We expect a price point of $1,500+ for a 42? to 55? model and also expect a below corporate average [gross margin]. Apple is likely to largely rely on leveraging content via partnerships with existing pay-TV operators.
The possibility of an Apple TV has been a point of rumor and speculation for years now, as industry observers and Apple fans alike look to the Cupertino company to revolutionize the television experience in the way it has mobile phones, music, and computing. Rumors and reports have picked up in recent months, helped in part by statements from Apple.

During the company's quarterly conference call, CEO Tim Cook said of the television segment "there's a lot we can contribute," and that Apple was keeping an eye on the sector. Apple's current TV-connected product, the Apple TV, sold about two million units over the past quarter.

A good deal of the speculation from the investor side has to do with a desire on their part for Apple to diversify its offerings. With smartphone profits seemingly plateauing, some analysts look to television and wearable computing as possible areas of expansion for Apple. Recently, a Morgan Stanley report claimed that a move into television and smartwatches could net Apple an additional $80 billion in yearly revenue.

Update: The always-reliable Jim Dalrymple has refuted Jefferies claim of a media event from Apple next month after hearing from to his contacts at Apple. Dalrymple's track record on matters such as these has thus far been spectacular.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Fingers crossed that we will finally get an App Store for the Apple TV. Hopefully the update will work on the ATV 2/3
  • Reply 2 of 47
    saarek wrote: »
    Hopefully the update will work on the ATV 2/3

And if not, it might just be a mere $99.

Really looking forward to this event. Whether it is a new AppleTV or a whole new product (TV set). For the latter, some might need to save up for this though.

I bet Peter Misek missed the iTV company in the UK, and its resistance to give up their name.
  • Reply 3 of 47

MacRumors has a more-complete version of the story...

Don't understand why AI condensed it

http://www.macrumors.com

Quote:

Citing "channel checks", Jeffries analyst Peter Misek today reported in a research note that Apple appears to be preparing for a television-related product event next month. While Misek does not believe that Apple's rumored television set will be making an appearance at the event, he does suggest that Apple might begin setting the stage for the future product by launching developer tools that would presumably also allow the current Apple TV set-top box to gain third-party apps.

Quote:

Channel checks indicate Apple has a product event in March that is Apple-TV related (possibly an iTV SDK introduction). We think a Sep/Oct iTV launch is being targeted.

Misek anticipates that Apple will launch its television set in the 42"-55" size range with prices starting around $1500. 

Rumors about Apple's television set plans have slowed down in recent months after a flurry of reports at the end of 2012, but just today fresh rumors of a potential Appleacquisition of German television maker Loewe have brought renewed focus. 

apple_tv_black

Apple has also gained regulatory approval for a tweaked Apple TV box, although the company claims that the update incorporates only minor internal changes and will be invisible to users. 

With the Apple TV software being based on iOS, Steve Jobs noted at the time of the launch of the revamped box in late 2010 that an App Store for Apple TV could launchwhen the time is right, indicating that the company has indeed been looking at opening up the platform to third-party developers.

• Reply 4 of 47
    Pretty exciting if true. What else might be announced at the event? iPad mini with retina? iPad 5? Or maybe just OS X related?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    again, I don't see an Apple TV set. Most consumers are price conscience with tvs. tvs last 10 years.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    And if this guy is wrong and nothing happens in March can we take away his right to say anything about what Apple is up to. Him and Brian White also. Charge them with attempted stock manipulation or something, anything that legally requires them to keep their mouths tightly shut.

These types of things are allowing as heck. Channel checks mean nothing, they have no insiders that would actually tell them jack because Apple is so tight about secrecy they would investigate and fire anyone that said anything. And when Apple does do a PR 'leak' they don't tell stock analysts, they go straight to major media (which isn't to say that WSJ etc are always correct but the analysts never are)

If Apple is going to release some kind of TV related SDK it would be more likely done at WWDC with the preview of iOS 7 since it would be foolish to have the Apple TV behind a system. A focus in iOS 7 could be device integration on several levels. The only reason to pre-announce anything hardware would be the FCC public databases and Apple has shown they have the clout to get the FCC to hold on publishing information which means they could submit now and we'd see nothing until June after they announced it themselves since the software preview would basically leak the hardware anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Misek's been predicting an Apple TV product he said will be called iPanel for a long time. In April of last year he was convinced that components were already being stocked with production of 2-5M units beginning last May.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/04/05/apple-jefferies-ups-target-to-800-on-the-ipanel/?mod=BOLBlog

Going back even further, 2011, Misek said Apple's new HDTV was using Sharp displays.

http://allthingsd.com/20111123/apples-itv-could-have-a-sharp-picture/

"Over at Jeffries, analyst Peter Misek suggests that Sharp is retooling a production line at its factory in Sakai specifically to manufacture modified amorphous TFT LCD panels that will be used in the so-called iTV. If all goes well, the line should be ready for commercial production by February of 2012, which means we could see Apple’s take on the TV by midyear (2012)."

If he'll just keep rolling out the predictions he might eventually be right...

eventually.

• Reply 8 of 47

It would be great if it were a TV....but I agree, most likely an upgraded ATV set-top Box. I will be happy if Apple keeps moving fwd in this area...and eventually a full-size TV is in the future! :)

• Reply 9 of 47
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I yet to see a good LCD TV last 10 years.  Most I have seen lated about 4.  Cheap made panels have been the weakest pert of the TV.  Ghosting.

• Reply 10 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

MacRumors has a more-complete version of the story...

Don't understand why AI condensed it

http://www.macrumors.com

good catch.

the 'Apple building TVs' angle is too juicy to share with the fact that Apple's strategy will best drive through AppleTV devices.

Tossing in guessimates of price points on High End TVs is just titillation for margins hounds.   No basis in fact.   

The key thing is that the an AppleTV SDK for developing/porting iOS apps for a TV environments is forthcoming.   Drives questions on how many forks do devs need to account for for an AppleTV (current),  TVbyApple, and iPad experience.   

I still stand by the belief that most of the guts of this product will be to integrate audio/video, internet content(&apps), OTA/Cable content (& DVR for this), into a single 'interface'  and nav experience.   The AppleTV relaunch, when it happens will basically determine how integrated it will be.

• Reply 11 of 47

Wasn't the OS X event in March last year?  So maybe, just maybe, this is an all Apple software event: OS X, iOS (if a summer release of the next iPhone is true) and Apple TV being opened up to 3rd party apps.  That would be sweeeeeeet.

I only wonder if Ive has had enough time since Forstall's departure to revamp iOS (for TV or iDevice)?

• Reply 12 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Fingers crossed that we will finally get an App Store for the Apple TV. Hopefully the update will work on the ATV 2/3

I'm not sure why anyone would want this.  The apps that would be relevant like Netflix, Hulu, etc. are actually already there and have been for ages. 

The apps in the App store (games etc.) also already play on the Apple TV if the developer makes them aware of it's presence.  

There is nothing more to do unless you are talking about Twitter or Facebook or browsing the web on a TV which is something consumers have resoundingly rejected year after year from the failed project that was WebTV in the 1990's to the poor response and even poorer sales of Samsungs "smart-TVs".  

Everyone talks about "apps on AppleTV" but I've yet to hear anyone describe what these apps might actually be beyond what we've already got now.  

• Reply 13 of 47

There are several ways to go with the AppleTV STB:

1) same as now with minor tweaks

2) faster AP (CPU GPU), more RAM Flash Storage

• Store Apps/Content on AppleTV

• Cross-load content from Mac or Home Server

* Stream content from Internet and iTunes Store

• AirPlay mirrored content from iPad/iPhone

• AirPlay content from Mac

• Stream content to iPads-- Personal TV

It's been 3-4 years -- but with an earlier JailBroken AppleTV, and a lot of help from Erica Sadun, I was able to:

• create an index of free [old time] movies on the Internet

• display that index on the AppleTV connected HDTV

• browse and select movies

• download/stream play the movies, on demand, from the Internet.

So, the capability is definitely there...  Especially considering that the hardware and iOS are significantly more robust than they were back then.

• Reply 14 of 47
    allenbf wrote: »
    Pretty exciting if true. What else might be announced at the event? iPad mini with retina? iPad 5? Or maybe just OS X related?

I would say none of those things. This is a pretty big deal so I think they'd want to limit anything that would be a huge draw so I wouldn't expect anything other than the Mac Pro (or whatever it's called), AirPort and Time Capsule router updates, and maybe some new device that fits into that category to come along with the HW.

I don't even think a watch or other wearable electronics would be a good fit if you are focusing on the future of the HEC. That said, if they are looking at it from the developer PoV then perhaps this will come in the iOS 7 demo — which used to come in the Spring and may usher in the return of the Summer iPhone launch — which means they can't hide the fact that their wearable tech will need developers to utilize their new APIs.
  • Reply 15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure why anyone would want this.  The apps that would be relevant like Netflix, Hulu, etc. are actually already there and have been for ages. 

The apps in the App store (games etc.) also already play on the Apple TV if the developer makes them aware of it's presence.  

There is nothing more to do unless you are talking about Twitter or Facebook or browsing the web on a TV which is something consumers have resoundingly rejected year after year from the failed project that was WebTV in the 1990's to the poor response and even poorer sales of Samsungs "smart-TVs".  

Everyone talks about "apps on AppleTV" but I've yet to hear anyone describe what these apps might actually be beyond what we've already got now.  

You are being "limited".

It's not about current apps, it's about a great SDK so developers can create new and great things.

• Reply 16 of 47
    allenbf wrote: »
    Wasn't the OS X event in March last year?  So maybe, just maybe, this is an all Apple software event: OS X, iOS (if a summer release of the next iPhone is true) and Apple TV being opened up to 3rd party apps.  That would be sweeeeeeet.

I only wonder if Ive has had enough time since Forstall's departure to revamp iOS (for TV or iDevice)?

As I recall they no introduction event for Mountain Lion. They flew high-profile tech writers/bloggers to NYC where Phil Schiller offered a private demo to each person. I believe each got a beta copy and reported on it when the ban was lifted a week or so later. It wasn't until it was nearly ready to ship did they do a demo during an official Apple event.

I hope they do the same thing again as I hated seeing the same demo twice.

edit: crazy autocorect
  • Reply 17 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I've always thought "apps" as "channels" basically.  Like an HBO GO app in the menu...or if CBS has an app for apple TV...etc, etc.  But I agree with you, I have no use for twitter or facebook on my TV.  I tried it only once with a Samsung Smart TV, what a waste of time.

• Reply 18 of 47
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Most of the Apps that you mention are USA only and so outside of the US the device loses a lot of its functionality.

Apps for local content such as the BBC in the UK makes a WHOLE lot of sense
  • Reply 19 of 47

So basically six months where they let their competitors copy exactly what they're planning to do.

Unless Apple has managed to cut deals with every TV channel individually for a la carte purchase (purchase of the channel, not subscription) and simultaneous-with-broadcast streaming, (content supplemented with video iAds, not the standard broadcast ads), there is nothing any TV or Apple TV design can bring and nothing any interface can bring that will make whatever the product is still a desirable option when those six months are over.

It's not about the design nor the interface. Apple already has that down pat. Have for years.

It's about the content deals and the manner in which the content is served to customers. Revolutionize that and they could even wait a YEAR; no one could possibly match them.

• Reply 20 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And if this guy is wrong and nothing happens in March can we take away his right to say anything about what Apple is up to. Him and Brian White also. Charge them with attempted stock manipulation or something, anything that legally requires them to keep their mouths tightly shut.

These types of things are allowing as heck. Channel checks mean nothing, they have no insiders that would actually tell them jack because Apple is so tight about secrecy they would investigate and fire anyone that said anything. And when Apple does do a PR 'leak' they don't tell stock analysts, they go straight to major media (which isn't to say that WSJ etc are always correct but the analysts never are)

If Apple is going to release some kind of TV related SDK it would be more likely done at WWDC with the preview of iOS 7 since it would be foolish to have the Apple TV behind a system. A focus in iOS 7 could be device integration on several levels. The only reason to pre-announce anything hardware would be the FCC public databases and Apple has shown they have the clout to get the FCC to hold on publishing information which means they could submit now and we'd see nothing until June after they announced it themselves since the software preview would basically leak the hardware anyway.

I could see Apple announcing an AppleTV SDK in March based on a temporary fork of iOS 6 -- to be folded into iOS7 when it is released later.  Apple has done this before and it is a very clean way to separate/address the special needs and advantages of an AppleTV (802.11ac high speed WiFi, non-mobile device (AC connection instead of battery), streaming, AirPlay, cross-loading, mirroring, presentations etc.)

Also, there are many Frameworks within iOS that have not, yet, been exposed to developers (Private APIs).

Consider this... the video/movie industry is changing.   The movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" was shot in 5K video, then edited into 4K video and distributed end-to-end digitally to theaters where it was shown as 4K digital.  First time that ever happened.  All the DVDs, BlueRays, Academy Cuts, etc. were secondary, subset distros made by downsizing the 4K video.

I believe the AP in the iPad Retina has the power to play 4K video.  I suspect that iOS has the Private APIs to handle this.

So, there may be some possibilities to leapfrog the existing video content distribution model with a new one...

BTW, Apple's page on Final Cut Pro X contains the following:

• Resolutions supported up to 5K frame sizes.

• Full-screen, real-time preview playback of SD, HD, 2K, 4K, and 5K media.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/

Tim Cook said there would be a new MacPro (the go to machine for video editors) released in 2013.  FCPX  is about due for another drop.  The NAB in Las Vegas is April 6-11.

There is some real potential for product announcements in the March/April time frame.