Apple planning TV-related media event in March ahead of Apple TV relaunch this fall [Update: Nope]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47

duplicate
  • Reply 22 of 47

I'd have an interest in an Apple TV were it SHV. Until then…

• Reply 23 of 47
    You are being "limited".

It's not about current apps, it's about a great SDK so developers can create new and great things.

Can't see what other apps can be developed that aren't channels or games.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Most of the Apps that you mention are USA only and so outside of the US the device loses a lot of its functionality.

Apps for local content such as the BBC in the UK makes a WHOLE lot of sense

Well yes, being as I'm outside the USA too I'm well aware of this.  My point was that the BBC app could already be made today and could already be put on the Apple TV today, so therefore the argument that Apple TV "needs to get apps finally!" or some such, is a bit faulty.  

• Reply 25 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You are being "limited".

It's not about current apps, it's about a great SDK so developers can create new and great things.

Maybe.  I've certainly been wrong before.  I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what these apps are.  

The streaming is already covered, and the other iPad apps are better played form the iPad and beamed to the Apple TV.    

• Reply 26 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Pretty exciting if true. What else might be announced at the event? iPad mini with retina? iPad 5? Or maybe just OS X related?

I would say none of those things. This is a pretty big deal so I think they'd want to limit anything that would be a huge draw so I wouldn't expect anything other than the Mac Pro (or whatever it's called), AirPort and Time Capsule router updates, and maybe some new device that fits into that category to come along with the HW.

I don't even think a watch or other wearable electronics would be a good fit if you are focusing on the future of the HEC. That said, if they are looking at it from the developer PoV then perhaps this will come in the iOS 7 demo — which used to come in the Spring and may usher in the return of the Summer iPhone launch — which means they can't hide the fact that their wearable tech will need developers to utilize their new APIs.

I agree that iPads would be a distraction.

However, a new device like a Home Server would be a natural -- it could combine or extend the capabilities of TimeCapsule, Airport, Music/Video/Photo/Book/App libraries (iTunes on Steroids) and interface iCloud for staged online (percolate up, trickle down) backup of content (and eventually Mac home directory content).  It would be an iOS device with high speed I/O (wired and wireless) -- and usable by OS X, Windows and Linux --  the Apple ecosystem in a box.

I also agree that a wristband phone needs to be a separate standalone event -- possibly in concert with announcements from carriers in China and India.

• Reply 27 of 47

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Can't see what other apps can be developed that aren't channels or games.

Can't see why games deserve a place on a device that can't run them without another device (on which they actually belong) to control them.

• Reply 28 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

The only thing I might believe is Apple having a March or April event for something.  Otherwise the next event would be WWDC in June.  Going 9 months or so without an event is a long time.

• Reply 29 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure why anyone would want this.  The apps that would be relevant like Netflix, Hulu, etc. are actually already there and have been for ages. 

The apps in the App store (games etc.) also already play on the Apple TV if the developer makes them aware of it's presence.  

There is nothing more to do unless you are talking about Twitter or Facebook or browsing the web on a TV which is something consumers have resoundingly rejected year after year from the failed project that was WebTV in the 1990's to the poor response and even poorer sales of Samsungs "smart-TVs".  

Everyone talks about "apps on AppleTV" but I've yet to hear anyone describe what these apps might actually be beyond what we've already got now.  

Most of the Apps that you mention are USA only and so outside of the US the device loses a lot of its functionality.

Apps for local content such as the BBC in the UK makes a WHOLE lot of sense

Good point!

Also, consider that the AppleTV is used for a lot more than a Home Entertainment Center.  Things like:  collaboration;  presentations;  sports/video reviews;  boardroom;  classroom...

Some of these things can be done kinda' OK with mirroring from an iPad or a Mac...   But opening the AppleTV Box to developers opens a lot of capability for other uses of the box.   

Here's one:  (I know, I know)  Say Apple gets its Maps App Act (that's hard to say) together.   The AppleTV could do 3D FlyOver presos with Maps including:  travelogs;  vacation planning; refight historical battles (Waterloo, Bull Run, Thermopylae, etc.)...  AFAICT,  Apple Maps builds its 3D displays in layers from the seabed, ground up.  If so, Maps could be controlled to reveal, say, the seven hills of Rome in the time of Romulus and Remus -- then the evolution of Rome could be artistically recreated over the centuries...  Really slow time lapse video.

Just imagine using artistcally augmented maps to teach history -- "You are there!"  You could fly an airplane through the Arc De Triomphe!  Hang out your washing on the Seigfried Line!  Watch as Hannibal crosses the Alps!

This could take the "Ken Burns" effect to a whole new level!

• Reply 30 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I also agree that a wristband phone needs to be a separate standalone event -- possibly in concert with announcements from carriers in China and India.

This one intrigues me.  When Cook was asked about emerging markets and low cost iPhone he talked about the iPod and how they introduced the shuffle as a low cost option. Made me think that Apple might do something unexpected here, and not just what everyone is assuming (a 3GS type cheaper phone).

• Reply 31 of 47
    An SDK is long overdue. IDevice remotes plus BT keyboards is surely enough to make something spectacular. Content coming from apps via APIs written by the content owners can feed content to the experience without the licensing hassles. What HBO shows in the UI, load their app, connect to your account, all the HBO content shows up and is available for viewing. If Jobs cracked TV, what I assume he really cracked isn't so much the UI as the whole thing (licensing and all). My speculation and hope anyway...
  • Reply 32 of 47
    O

However, a new device like a Home Server would be a natural -- it could combine or extend the capabilities of TimeCapsule, Airport, Music/Video/Photo/Book/App libraries (iTunes on Steroids) and interface iCloud for staged online (percolate up, trickle down) backup of content (and eventually Mac home directory content).  It would be an iOS device with high speed I/O (wired and wireless) -- and usable by OS X, Windows and Linux --  the Apple ecosystem in a Box.

Ah yes! I'm waiting for this since ages. But regarding pricing and demand, I'm not sure Apple will ever build this.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    I yet to see a good LCD TV last 10 years.  Most I have seen lated about 4.  Cheap made panels have been the weakest pert of the TV.  Ghosting.

I've got a 2005 26" LCD TV that still looks as new, and a 2007 40" the same. Having a cheap panel means it wasn't a good LCD to start with.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 35 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So basically six months where they let their competitors copy exactly what they're planning to do.

Unless Apple has managed to cut deals with every TV channel individually for a la carte purchase (purchase of the channel, not subscription) and simultaneous-with-broadcast streaming, (content supplemented with video iAds, not the standard broadcast ads), there is nothing any TV or Apple TV design can bring and nothing any interface can bring that will make whatever the product is still a desirable option when those six months are over.

It's not about the design nor the interface. Apple already has that down pat. Have for years.

It's about the content deals and the manner in which the content is served to customers. Revolutionize that and they could even wait a YEAR; no one could possibly match them.

Something in your post tweaked some memories...

First, though, there is some question as to the long term viability TV Broadcast Networks.   Not the local stations.  The CableCos appear to have a stranglehold on the content.

In about 1975 we bought a home satellite dish and electronics.  There was no Dish Network or equivalent service back then...  You bought this humongous satellite dish (AIR ours was 18 foot diameter) and had it installed on a tower along with motors to tilt and rotate the dish so it could focus on any of the hundreds of satellites in the sky.

There was even a TV Guide magazine that listed the schedules for the hundreds of satellites.

Long story short -- We could get live and rebroadcast TV from almost anywhere in the world.   For example, we could choose among 9 different PBS channels throughout the US.  We could watch a show broadcast live in NYC instead of waiting for a rebroadcast in California.  We could watch any sports show live if it were broadcast anywhere in the US (no local blackouts).  We could watch oddball things like cattle auctions (My wife, Lucy, told me she had considered buying a heifer :).  We could watch commercial-free back-hauls and uploads, see the Olympic venues that interested us (no synchronized swimming).  The satellite was hooked to a DVR and was programmable -- so we could position it and capture the shows when we were not at home.

We were free to watch what we wanted and were in control of our video!

Something happened on the way to the 21st century!

I miss that!

I want that back!

• Reply 36 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I like how this site presents this headline has a "fact". Not a rumor, not "sources say", but as a direct fact. 

• Reply 37 of 47

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I like how this site presents this headline has a "fact". Not a rumor, not "sources say", but as a direct fact. 

Fixed, at least on the forum.

• Reply 38 of 47
  • Reply 39 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

O

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

However, a new device like a Home Server would be a natural -- it could combine or extend the capabilities of TimeCapsule, Airport, Music/Video/Photo/Book/App libraries (iTunes on Steroids) and interface iCloud for staged online (percolate up, trickle down) backup of content (and eventually Mac home directory content).  It would be an iOS device with high speed I/O (wired and wireless) -- and usable by OS X, Windows and Linux --  the Apple ecosystem in a Box.

Ah yes! I'm waiting for this since ages. But regarding pricing and demand, I'm not sure Apple will ever build this.

The Home Server Box, let's call it iHome, need not be much more than the current AppleTV hardware.  Ideally, it would have high speed I/O, including Thunderbolt, and connect to things like Promise Pegasus RAIDs.  

• Reply 40 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You are being "limited".

So, basically the end of Nintendo, then. The accessory market will go nuts with controllers and games and such.