Chevy first automaker to deliver Siri integration via Spark and Sonic models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Others have announced it and promised it, but Chevrolet will officially be the first automaker to bring Apple's Siri digital assistant to its automobiles, delivering the eyes-free integration to its Spark and Sonic models that have MyLink built in.

Shortly after Apple announced Siri Eyes Free integration in iOS 6, nine automakers followed up with a pledge to support the technology in their automobiles. Among them were BMW, General Motors (GM), Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda.

GM, of which Chevy is a subdivision, announced late in 2012 that it would be the first car maker to integrate the Eyes Free technology. That promise materialized Wednesday with the launch of its youth-oriented Spark and Sonic models.

The Siri integration comes by way of Chevrolet MyLink, an infotainment system that brings a user's smartphone capabilities into alignment with the vehicle. Using MyLink and a compatible iPhone running iOS 6, users can make voice-activated, hands-free calls to iPhone contacts, play songs from their iTunes libraries, listen to and compose texts and iMessages, and access Calendar functions.

The Spark and Sonic both feature a steering wheel-mounted button allowing users to access Siri without taking their hands or eyes off the road.

Honda, when it rolls out the 2013 Accord and Acura models, will have Siri as a dealer-installed option as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Wait for it!!!! Where's the first troll that's gonna trounce this with anti-Apple and "fanboy" statements?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    How will Maps work?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    So it just invokes Siri? Can I buy this Bluetooth button for $30 and stick it to my steering wheel?
  • Reply 4 of 10

Okay so they integrated this into their current infotainment (I hate this word) system. Does that mean that they can upgrade previous models with a software patch? I would love to get this in the Prius that I bought last year mostly because I hate Toyota's current software that it uses (somehow it crashes my ipod once every couple of weeks)

• Reply 5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

So it just invokes Siri? Can I buy this Bluetooth button for $30 and stick it to my steering wheel?

Most cars sold today have bluetooth built in with a button on the steering wheel.  You need a phone that supports bluetooth MAP tho (iPhone doesn't - some new android does) for the text messaging and A2DP for music streaming (basically all bluetooth phones support this)

I've used text messaging, music streaming and phone dialing on my Ford for about 2 years now.  This is just another, probably easier (for iPhone users) method to utilize these features.  I like that it is one common system for iPhone users instead of a different one for each car maker.

• Reply 6 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sounds like a lot of ways to be a distracted driver. If I am driving behind someone who is just talking on their phone I can often tell they are distracted even though they are hands free. Unless you are really good at multi-tasking, it can be difficult to concentrate on driving while talking on the phone, especially if the conversation gets complicated. People tend to think they are so skillful and have such fast reactions that they can eat breakfast, put on eye makeup, talk on the phone or text, all the while, driving over the speed limit and tailgating the car ahead of them. I really liked a bumper sticker I saw which read "Hang up and Drive."

• Reply 7 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    alexmit wrote: »
    Wait for it!!!! Where's the first troll that's gonna trounce this with anti-Apple and "fanboy" statements?

And who's the first troll with anti troll statements? You were the first to post and instead of commenting on the article you denounce trolls without cause making you the first and so far the only troll.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Okay so they integrated this into their current infotainment (I hate this word) system. Does that mean that they can upgrade previous models with a software patch? I would love to get this in the Prius that I bought last year mostly because I hate Toyota's current software that it uses (somehow it crashes my ipod once every couple of weeks)

"They" (General Motors) can add support through a software upgrade because the MyLink system in these cars was designed to be upgradeable. Toyota hasn't done that in their cars, so you presumably won't be able to upgrade your car to support this new feature. This is clearly the way of the future and GM should be commended for continuing to add new features (and bug fixes) to their software, as well as announcing API support for developers who want to write apps for GM cars.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So this system connects via Bluetooth? No cables needed? That would be nice.

The Lightning connector hosed every single car stereo manufacturer last year and all the carmakers too. So far I have not seen anyone market a system that can utilize the Lighting connector. And even if you get the Lightning to USB adapter, communication is often broken or compromised because of the new functionality of the connector. Most affected were the App enabled units.

Of course if manufacturers can get full functionality via Bluetooth then problem solved. Not sure that has happened yet.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

"They" (General Motors) can add support through a software upgrade because the MyLink system in these cars was designed to be upgradeable. Toyota hasn't done that in their cars, so you presumably won't be able to upgrade your car to support this new feature. This is clearly the way of the future and GM should be commended for continuing to add new features (and bug fixes) to their software, as well as announcing API support for developers who want to write apps for GM cars.

I've already received one software update from Toyota to add new features (I think they added open table and a few other apps) via USB stick in the mail