Apple's iOS 6 now accounts for 83% of all iOS-based traffic in North America

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just days after Apple released iOS 6.1.1, and five months after iOS 6 rolled out, the current generation mobile OS is accounting for over 83 percent of all web traffic in North America, says one ad network.

iOS 6 Share
Source: Chitika Insights

According to fresh data provided by ad network Chitika's analytics arm Chitika Insights, as of February, web impressions from devices running iOS 6 reached 83.1 percent of all iPhones, iPads and iPod touches in North America.

The new numbers represent a huge uptick in iOS device updates since the latest mobile operating system was launched in September of 2012. At the time, it was reported that iOS 6 was on 15 percent of compatible devices in just 24 hours. Follow-up reports noted the adoption rate ballooned to 60 percent after one month.

Breaking down Wednesday's data by device, users of Apple's iPhone are slightly ahead of the overall adoption rate curve, with 84.6 percent of devices running some version of iOS 6. As iOS 6.1.1 mainly affected the iPhone 4S, it's not surprising to see that share is higher than the average.

iOS 6 iPhone Share

To quantify the study, Chitika Insights sampled 24-hours worth of ad impressions from millions of U.S. and Canadian iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users observed through Feb. 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

That's insane, considering it was only released 3 months or so ago. Having most of your users on the latest OS is a massive advantage, as developers can feel safe taking advantage of the latest APIs and requiring recent OS versions for their apps, as they know the majority of users are on it. For Android, developers still have to make sure the app works perfectly on gingerbread, crippling it and making it impossible to really take advantage of any OS improvements since then. 

• Reply 2 of 20
    Insane indeed!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    3.1% on iOS 4.x or earlier and 9.3% on iOS 5.x. What shameful fragmentation¡
  • Reply 4 of 20
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

sorry, wrong thread. 

• Reply 5 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    3 months to get to 83%?

Well, Android got to 30% in a year. That's close enough, right? /s
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3.1% on iOS 4.x or earlier and 9.3% on iOS 5.x. What shameful fragmentation¡

I wonder if people with older iPhones just don't surf the web as much since 3G is kind of slow compared to 4G. I had always assumed that most of the used iPhones were still in use, handed down, sold, etc. Perhaps many of the older phones get sold to third world countries so they don't show up in the North America survey. If an iPhone still works, it should still be in service, even if it has to be jailbroken.

• Reply 7 of 20

The only reason it took this long was because people were holding out for a JB.  

• Reply 8 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    3 months to get to 83%?

I was hoping that this thread would be free of these idiotic posts (no I'm not saying you're an idiot) but you just couldn't resist. You're inadvertently giving Android significance.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder if people with older iPhones just don't surf the web as much since 3G is kind of slow compared to 4G. I had always assumed that most of the used iPhones were still in use, handed down, sold, etc. Perhaps many of the older phones get sold to third world countries so they don't show up in the North America survey. If an iPhone still works, it should still be in service, even if it has to be jailbroken.

I'm not even sure if my iPhone 4 has been connected to WiFI since I switched to Verizon for the iPhone 5 and then started using it for development testing. It's funny how heavy and thick it feels. I'm sure 3G feels the same way after being on 4G but I haven't yet experience that.
  • Reply 10 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

3 months to get to 83%?

30% of what? They got 30% on a version that is already 2 generations behind.

• Reply 11 of 20

If this doesn't scare Microsoft and Google they simply aren't paying attention.

• Reply 12 of 20
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I was hoping that this thread would be free of these idiotic posts (no I'm not saying you're an idiot) but you just couldn't resist. You're inadvertently giving Android significance.

You can't blame him, it is true.
  • Reply 13 of 20

In all fairness I was the first to add a sarcastic comment directed at Android.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not even sure if my iPhone 4 has been connected to WiFI since I switched to Verizon for the iPhone 5 and then started using it for development testing. It's funny how heavy and thick it feels. I'm sure 3G feels the same way after being on 4G but I haven't yet experience that.

My old iPhone is officially unlocked from AT&T and I use it as my Central America local sim phone. Love it, especially compared to my old feature phones that I used to use when traveling abroad.

• Reply 15 of 20
    mstone wrote: »
    My old iPhone is officially unlocked from AT&T and I use it as my Central America local sim phone. Love it, especially compared to my old feature phones that I used to use when traveling abroad.

1) I did the unlock. Maybe I should sell mine.

2) You never had the unsuitably named "world mode" phones for traveling out the US?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    But this is North America Only. Would love to see usage World Wide.
  • Reply 17 of 20

Sorry, but yours is the idiotic comment.

One doesn't need to give Android significance - anyone who's thinking clearly can see that they're a major player in the mobile space.

And posting comparable stats for Android is completely relevant. When someone posts a number about something, it doesn't mean much unless you have a frame of reference. The most common frame of reference is a comparison of how someone else compared in the same circumstances. Knowing that 83% of traffic comes from iOS 6 is largely meaningless unless you can compare it to something.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Knowing that 83% of traffic comes from iOS 6 is largely meaningless unless you can compare it to something.

Yeah, it should be compared to how quickly other iOS versions were adopted, and to when jailbreaks were available.

A breakdown by phone model would also be interesting.

• Reply 19 of 20

Not only is the 83% figure impressive, but the fact that iOS6 has been adopted so rapidly contrasts starkly with the issues some (if not most?) Android users have updating their OS.   

• Reply 20 of 20
    kdarling wrote: »
    Yeah, it should be compared to how quickly other iOS versions were adopted, and to when jailbreaks were available.

A breakdown by phone model would also be interesting.

That would be interesting information, but it's not the only question that people might want answered.

You see, not everyone is as invested in the success of Android as you appear to be, so some people don't mind seeing how badly iOS is crushing Android in this metric.