Apple updates processors and drops prices of MacBook Pro with Retina Display [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 149
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...must not have been selling as well as they hoped?

mobius wrote: »
    This is good news. But how pissed would you be if you'd just bought one.
    Apple seems to be doing minor tweaks to products early year then the new ones in mid to late year(Jan-iPad,FEB.-MacBook pro/aie
  • Reply 102 of 149
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't find me writing "no other explanation" once in this thread or making any comparable statement that would exclude anyone else from having an opinion or asserting my opinion as an incontrovertible truth

Shall we examine the post you decided to jump on?

The full context is that you wrote in response to this statement:

"Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like they have cut SSD prices across the board.  For all MBPs and MBAs."

"If that's the case then I don't see any other conclusion than the are now using a smaller node process to double the NAND density."

So the full statement is:

If they have cut SSD prices across the board then I don't see any other conclusion than they are now using a smaller process node to double the NAND density.

The IF portion of your statement does not imply any leeway as to the reason of the change.  Just that if the change in price occurred then no other conclusion is possible than Apple is using NAND made using a smaller process node.  The "assume" in your statement has zero to do with your assertion that the only possible way that an across the board SSD price cut can happen is a process node change.

Whatever you meant to say this was what you ended up saying.  Yes, you did assert that conclusion as an inconvertible truth (in your opinion anyway) when you stated you couldn't see any other conclusion.

Of course there several ways Apple could achieve an across the board SSD price cut without moving to a new process node.  They could have a new supplier at the same process node that charges less.  They could have moved to TLC vs MLC NAND at the same process node.  They could simply be passing along the cost savings in the reduced pricing for older NAND.  They could even, horror of horrors, be making less margin on SSD upgrades.

Is moving to NAND made with a new process node even the most likely reason for enabling lower SSD pricing?  I'm thinking not.  The Samsung 830 used a 27nm 2 bpc MLC NAND and the new Samsung 840 Pro is a 21nm 2 bpc MLC NAND selling at around the same price or higher.  It's just faster.  The Samsung 840 using 21nm 3 bpc TLC NAND is cheaper than the older 830 but the primary cost reduction comes from it being TLC, not the process node improvement.  27nm TLC NAND would have been cheaper than 27nm MLC NAND last year as well.

LATER this year 21nm MLC NAND will become cheaper than last years 27nm MLC NAND.  Right now Samsung can and must command a premium to pay for the process node change and performance increase.  TODAY 27nm MLC NAND is cheaper than it was this time last year.

So any price reduction in SSD pricing right now is far more likely the result of either a move to lower quality TLC NAND or reduced pricing on the older process node NAND from last year.  It is not as likely the result of using new process node NAND in the product but given the volume that Apple purchases NAND it is possible.  On the other hand, that volume discount should apply equally well to older process NAND.

• Reply 103 of 149

Oh by the way...going from 27nm to 21nm doesn't actually double your NAND density...

• Reply 104 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nht wrote: »
    Whatever you meant to say this was what you ended up saying.  Yes, you did assert that as an inconvertible truth in your opinion when you stated you could see no other conclusion.

I don't see how anyone can misunderstand the words I don't see with there is no other possible answer that anyone could ever come up with. See what I did there? I made a statement about my inability to perceive something that clearly existed prior to this post. I honestly can't see how you or anyone can take a clear qualifier and conditional clauses clearly referring to the self and change them to assert it as something else.

I'll let you in on a little secret. When I know something is the truth I will 1) state it as the such with no qualifers or conditional clauses that would allow for the statement to be read as a supposition, and 2) I will adduce the **** out of it because without the ability to provide evidence all you have is your opinion.
  • Reply 105 of 149
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can misunderstand the words I don't see with there is no other possible answer that anyone could ever come up with. See what I did there? I made a statement about my inability to perceive something that clearly existed prior to this post. I honestly can't see how you or anyone can take a clear qualifier and conditional clauses clearly referring to the self and change them to assert it as something else.

I'll let you in on a little secret. When I know something is the truth I will 1) state it as the such with no qualifers or conditional clauses that would allow for the statement to be read as a supposition, and 2) I will adduce the **** out of it because without the ability to provide evidence all you have is your opinion.

nht explained it very well.

However, I'll accept that you're now saying that your problem is that you have no imagination, no understanding of industry dynamics, and can't see anything that's not right under your nose.
  • Reply 106 of 149
    jragosta wrote: »
    nht explained it very well.

However, I'll accept that you're now saying that your problem is that you have no imagination, no understanding of industry dynamics, and can't see anything that's not right under your nose.

1) No, he didn't. Both of you decided to not comprehend what was clearly written for a reasonable person to read.

2) I freely admitted in my original post that I unable to reach no other valid conclusion based on the evidence which you are now saying means I have no imagination, as in none at all, as opposed to a limited one.

3) I will agree your imagination is much more developed than mine. How else can one misread something and then stick to it despite all verifiably evidence pointing out you were wrong. We all misread things at times but most of it own up to it when we do.

4) Speaking of no imagination you just used a clichéd idiom. Can you see under your nose?
  • Reply 107 of 149

Quote:

Well, I find it really funny that you can't see how  "I don't see any other conclusion" is equivalent to "I don't see any other explanation".

In fact he's been arguing that your perception (or lack thereof) is wrong this entire time does not mean you haven't claimed that you did not think there was any other conclusion.  Which is a pretty dumb assed statement to make in the first place.

I'll let you in on a little secret:  Your command of conditional qualifiers isn't very good. 

Neither is your ability to accept when you are wrong.  At no point thus far have you admitted that he was right and you were wrong about the possible reasons for SSD price reduction.  Whether you could see any other conclusions when you first wrote your post is of far less amusement than your attempt to defend a poorly thought out assertion.

He didn't even say you were wrong about your assertion just that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's the ONLY conclusion?

What about the simple fact that electronics prices decline over time?

And you doubled down with:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Um, my statement can't be possible without a drop in electronics prices. I'm being more specific than simply saying they are getting a better deal with the tech but saying they are getting newer tech that is doubling the capacity of NAND for about the same price as it was previously. It's also likely how we got the 128GB iPad. This wasn't possible in large quantities last year.

AND

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes, my assertion is what I think and you've done nothing to change my mind by presenting other evidence that would make me see it differently. 

Anyone that is making a clearly qualified and conditional assertion would have gone "Oh yeah, that's possible too" as opposed to "I'm being more specific" and "you've done nothing to change my mind".

LOL.

Well, I've provided you with price information on retail SSD pricing in conjunction with process node changes and the fact that you don't double NAND density by going from 27nm to 21nm.  

Change your mind yet?  On either that there are other possible conclusions or that your assertion isn't actually likely?

• Reply 108 of 149
    nht wrote: »
    Well, I find it really funny that you can't see how  "I don't see any other conclusion" is equivalent to "I don't see any other explanation".

[blah blah blah]

Where exactly did I write "I don't see any other explanation"? That's right, I didn't. This is just more jackassery to assert that I assert something I didn't instead of admitted you didn't read correctly. Perhaps you're still confused by the obvious differences in saying "no/none/zero/zilch/nada" as opposed to saying that one can't see. This is stuff you should have learn at a young age.

Here's an example: I don't see how you two can have IQs over 80. Now did I say you two didn't have IQs over 80? Did I say that it was impossible for you two to have IQs over 80? No.I simply said I'm not able to see it.

And no, you were all over the place trying to "prove" I was not allowed to come to my conclusion that you ended up just throwing out figures with absolutely no support or cohesive argument to back it up. Again, if you have actual "proof" then go ahead and present it, but that would be impossible unless you access to Apple's records so you'll just have to continue to post your opinion whilst claiming I'm not entitled to mine.

PS: If you want to continue jacking the thread and making up stuff go write ahead but I've given the both of far too much attention and respect already. I can address every idiotic comment where someone refuses to comprehend what they write or admit when they misread something.
  • Reply 109 of 149
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It took years for the MBA's price to drop, not months.

Not entirely. In February 2008, the model with a 64GB SSD was $2999. I took a pass. In November 2008, I bought mine with a 128GB SSD for $2499 (actually $2399 from MacMall but I'm comparing MSRP).

• Reply 110 of 149
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I meant the 13" RMBP should have a discreet GPU like the GT 650m.

Discreet? Yes, I do hate those thoughtless and uncaring indiscreet GPUs.

• Reply 111 of 149
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

In some instances, my need is not to run Windows on a Mac. My need is a Windows computer.

There is no such thing as a "Windows computer". Windows is software, so there are only computers that run Windows. Macs are among those.

• Reply 112 of 149
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

I sound like someone that buys what they need when they need it instead of complaining that they've been wronged or that such-and-such is doing wrong because they aren't catering exactly to their personal needs.

Yeah, I see elsewhere in the thread how you use a passive-agressive form of "opinion" to sanitize your criticisms of other people's needs, wants and opinions. I like this new tactic though -- changing the subject and shifting the focus to attacking others to divert attention from what you wrote is a refreshing change for you.

The fact is that saying that you see no need for a decent GPU because YOU'VE never needed one is ridiculous.

Your posturing as a misunderstood literati appears to be making others wonder if you're actually just an asshole. Note that I didn't SAY you're an asshole, so if that's what you read into it then you're misreading me, and only an asshole would do that.

• Reply 113 of 149
    v5v wrote: »
    The fact is that saying that you see no need for a decent GPU because YOU'VE never needed one is ridiculous.

Now I'm claiming no need for a "decent GPU"? What the **** are you people smoking? :no:
  • Reply 114 of 149
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 13" rmbp 2.6 GHz intel i5 vs the 3.0 GHz intel i7 ??
    Is it worth the difference in price? It's about $200 more for the 3.0 Ghz model.
  • Reply 115 of 149
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 13" rmbp 2.6 GHz intel i5 vs the 3.0 GHz intel i7 ??
    Is it worth the difference in price? It's about $200 more for the 3.0 Ghz model.

I don't know. What are you planning to do with it?

If you're doing heavy scientific computing and/or things that will heavily stress the CPU, it might well be worth the price difference. The i7 has some performance advantages even beyond the clock speed difference.

OTOH, if you're using your computer solely for browsing the web, sending emails, and running Microsoft Office, save your money.
  • Reply 116 of 149

Is it worth it? That's debatable. What kind of usage do you expect? What are you coming from? I personally just bought a new Mac and took the high-end model of the Core-i5 but didn't splurge on the Core-i7. My usage needs don't current warrant it but I know plenty of people that need as much CPU performance as possible and think $200 is worth saving a few seconds here and there over a several years.

Here is a comparison of the two processors listed above: http://ark.intel.com/compare/72056,71255
  • Reply 117 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    So the 15" RMBPs get a spec bump and the higher-end model comes with double the RAM for the price as before. Nice!

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6744/apple-cuts-pricing-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-and-ssd-upgrades

Most of the pricing adjustments could be accounted for by a small change to their gross margins. We know their margins lowered overall at the last financial report.

They said that gross margins last year were 44.7% and prices didn't drop since then.

There seems to be around $200-300 off each model. With the base model, the new gross margin would be:

0.553 x $1699 = ~$940. (1499 - 940)/1499 = 37%.

With the 2nd model, the 2.6GHz CPU costs the same so we get:

0.553 x $1999 = ~$1105. (1699-1105)/1699 = 35%.

The exact margins won't be entirely accurate as the numbers they report include everything they sell but the supply cost can stay the same or be slightly lower and they can make up some of the lost margin in increased volume.

Like I said in previous threads, they could actually knock $200 average off every Mac in their lineup (the higher amounts going to the expensive models) and if they didn't increase volume, they'd only lose $1b out of the $13b per quarter they make. But of course they will increase shipment volume quite a bit knocking that much off so everybody wins: Apple increases shipment volume, customers get lower prices and more Macs sold means higher software sales through the App Stores and potentially more peripheral devices sold too.

I was surprised at the price cut so early on as I expected this to happen with the Haswell launch but I think they might be trying to make up for the iMac delays that caused a drop in shipment volume of over 1 million units vs last year.

I'd be very surprised if they managed to eliminate the old model entirely at the Haswell launch but it depends really on how much more it actually costs to build the Retina model vs the old model.

Once they drop the price of the 15" models, there's also a question of whether they will bring the 17" back to fill the higher price point or just keep adding more storage. I was going to say it would be better having the $2799 model lower but you can spec the lower one up with the 2.7GHz CPU and 16GB RAM for $300 to get $2499 with 256GB storage.

Given Haswell's GPU boost, perhaps that entry 15" model can be Retina but just a dual-core i5/i7 with IGP and 256GB storage at the $1799 price - possibly the removal of the dedicated GPU and $150 cheaper CPU can justify the $400 lower price.
  • Reply 118 of 149
    I just bought a 13" 128GB MBA last Thursday and was considering a retina MBP. :-(

I considered upgrading when I read about the price drop this morning. The Apple store had the 256GB retina MBP at $1,599, not the $1,699 reported here and on Apple's Store app.
  • Reply 119 of 149

Originally Posted by Wide with Pride View Post

I just bought a 13" 128GB MBA last Thursday and was considering a retina MBP. :-(

Well, call Apple and get a credit for the difference.

• Reply 120 of 149

Quote:

Where exactly did I write "I don't see any other explanation"? That's right, I didn't. 

LOL...you're all upset because he replace "conclusion" with "explanation"?   Really?

Fine...you wrote "I don't see any other conclusion".

LOL...man that's hilarious.

Quote:

This is just more jackassery to assert that I assert something I didn't instead of admitted you didn't read correctly. Perhaps you're still confused by the obvious differences in saying "no/none/zero/zilch/nada" as opposed to saying that one can't see. This is stuff you should have learn at a young age.

"I don't see any other conclusion" is equally assertive as "I don't see any other explanation".  

Unless the presumption is that the declarant is an idiot (probably not an assumption you prefer) then the statement "I don't see" presumes some level of intelligence on the part of the person making the assertion and therefore functionally equivalent to "I believe there is no other conclusion...". 

A "conditional" statement would be "I believe the most likely conclusion is..."

Quote:

Here's an example: I don't see how you two can have IQs over 80. Now did I say you two didn't have IQs over 80? Did I say that it was impossible for you two to have IQs over 80? No.I simply said I'm not able to see it.

I don't see how you think that avoids the rule against insulting other members of the forum unless you think the mods are idiots...or favor you...or both.

Does this passive aggressive thing work for you in real life?  Because here on the internet the natural response is:  u mad bro?

Quote:

And no, you were all over the place trying to "prove" I was not allowed to come to my conclusion that you ended up just throwing out figures with absolutely no support or cohesive argument to back it up. Again, if you have actual "proof" then go ahead and present it, but that would be impossible unless you access to Apple's records so you'll just have to continue to post your opinion whilst claiming I'm not entitled to mine.

The prices of the Samsung 830, 840 and 840 Pro are well established and can be seen by looking at Amazon price histories.  The fact is that the MLC NAND used in this generation is made using a smaller Samsung process node (21nm) than MLC NAND used in prior SSDs (27nm) and are not double the density nor are cheaper.

Two facts that directly contradict two incorrect assertion of yours (that NAND densities doubled or that smaller process nodes means lower pricing) used to make your statement.

Quote:

PS: If you want to continue jacking the thread and making up stuff go write ahead but I've given the both of far too much attention and respect already. I can address every idiotic comment where someone refuses to comprehend what they write or admit when they misread something.

If you don't like getting nailed for dumb assertions the best solution is to stop making dumb assertions and then doubling down on them.

Obviously with the number of posts you've had on your two accounts you have more than enough time to address every comment in these forums...probably two or three times.