Samsung's Tizen mobile OS could signal new competition for Apple's iOS, Google's Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I told you Samsung would shaft Google next!
  • Reply 42 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Samsung doesn't have the chops to make it in the software ecosystem.  The only thing they are good at is churning out cheap junk, hope they last just long enough so consumers can get bored and buy the next 5-minute fad from them.

Software services requires constant commitment, a long-term plan, and a good experience to keep people in it.  Samsung has failed miserably in all these areas.  Sure, perhaps one day they will come out with their own app store, but (like Android) no real developer will want to do anything with it since the serious revenue is in iOS.

• Reply 43 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"Melding" software and hardware is just the tip of the iceberg.  You'll need a cross-device ecosystem plus a robust, pervasive, international infrastructure.  You know, like the iOS + OS X ecosystem and the iTunes + iCloud infrastructure.  An ecosystem and infrastructure more or less like the ones Apple started working on before the first iPod was released in 2001.  

iTunes came first.  Your infrastructure will also need to come first, otherwise your devices will be attempting to fly in a vacuum.  

Oops.  Good luck with that, Samsung.

++1

and depending on Intel as a hardware partner... not such a good idea.  How are those UltraBooks Selling?

The key value Apple is playing with is that it starts with a user experience... and then builds the UI, the Apps, the OS, the cloud infrastructure and the HW to meet that user experience.  That's the value of 'melding'   Having a HW 'partner' and a system 'partner' and an 'apps' partner?  Oh, and a TV division and a Chip division and a dumb phone division.... Too many profit centers to keep happy.   

iTunes didn't come first... Solving a user problem comes first (iTunes solved... 'how do I get songs on my iPod device without a degree is File Systems Management').   All of a sudden a whole bunch of people saw this something to 'hire' (like I'm hungry, who do I hire to feed me?)  People pay for jobs to be done for them.      What 'job' do you want that device, that app, that component to do?  How do you make that thing hirable for 100 million people looking to spend $YYY to solve that problem?

Samsung's devices running Intel chips don't solve 500,000,000 people's problems as far as I can tell.  Android and Google solve the problems.

But... the big issue is it's the apps and the ecosystem that are the end game.  Samsung letting gmail and google and youtube, and google play get the eyeballs... in the end, that's where the money is (the cost/profit of the device will go to zero... see Kindle HD).   See Apple's quarterly report.   Their ITMS and AppStore are making more money than most phone makers, passing the iPod business internally, and soon to overtake the Mac HW money flow. 

Seriously, this is a play for Google to share more of the ecosystem money, or a bolt by the only player that can likely survive leaving Android, and building its own ecosystem.

• Reply 44 of 129
    lkrupp wrote: »
    This could get really interesting. Most iHaters are Fandroids who love Samsung only because it runs Android. They have shifted loyalties as other hardware device makers rose and fell; see Motorola, HTC, etc. Samsung became their most recent shining knight when it rose up to challenge Apple but it's really all about Android. If Samsung forks Android or goes with Tizen what will these people do? Who will they pin their hopes on for Apple's destruction?

Perhaps because you wish for death of Android and Samsung, you imagine Android users must feel the same way about Apple. Some of us wish for most companies to survive if not thrive so that consumer choice exists. Some of us use products from both camps.

Sure, some companies engage in questionable practices from time to time (the list includes Google, Samsung and Apple), but these companies are successful by and large because they are good at what they do. There's nothing wrong with some consumers preferring Android and Galaxy. Take some pills and stop allowing this to affect your enjoyment of Apple products.

Remember what Jobs said - Apple doesn't need others to fail in order to succeed. Have an open mind.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I hope to God Samsung does this. It would **** over Android so, so badly. 

Ditto.

BTW, if Android is winning, like Schmidt likes to tell everyone who will listen, why aren't the companies that use it making more money off of the ecosystem...and why are they all building (and preparing to launch) not-android lifeboats?

• Reply 46 of 129
    I think this will hurt android more than ios. Ios customers will still buy iphones/ipads/ipods running ios. Samsung customers will still buy samsung, but will it be running android or tizen ???

I will take a few years for samsung to get this right with a proper ecosystem in place. I dont think Apple will fear this (it might actually be a bonus for Apple) but Google might.

Gary.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Seriously, this is a play for Google to share more of the ecosystem money, or a bolt by the only player that can likely survive leaving Android, and building its own ecosystem.

I hope you can see this is another "analyst" article, but from AI rather than some stock prognosticator. Someone at AI is making a guess that someday Samsung might decide to make Tizen a priority. There's no evidence that Samsung has made any such decision, but it still makes a good "troll for eyeballs" article if nothing else. I personally doubt that Samsung feels it's OS engineering expertise is anywhere near that of Apple, or even Google for that matter.

• Reply 48 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

W

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This could get really interesting. Most iHaters are Fandroids who love Samsung only because it runs Android. They have shifted loyalties as other hardware device makers rose and fell; see Motorola, HTC, etc. Samsung became their most recent shining knight when it rose up to challenge Apple but it's really all about Android. If Samsung forks Android or goes with Tizen what will these people do? Who will they pin their hopes on for Apple's destruction?

Google wants to destroy Apple?? Where does that claim come from, and based on what?

• Reply 49 of 129
    Wonder how much Intel will continue to back Tizen? Their TV network could be a great source of contents.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    gatorguy wrote: »
    W
    Google wants to destroy Apple?? Where does that claim come from, and based on what?

It comes from those with zero sum imaginations and is based on their own desire to see Google fail. It's like this - you must hate me because I sure hate you.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    This is BEYOND ridiculous ....
    It's iOS & Android (yeccchhh) and THAT'S IT!!!

NOBODY'S interested in Windows8 Mobile.
    NOBODY'S interested in Tinzu.
    NOBODY'S interested in Linux Mobile.

These are all just supermegadesperate flailings by Apple's "competitors" while they helplessly watch
    as Apple walks away with the future of computing -- MOBILE.

Everybody's fighting against iFon & iPad, but they have ZERO idea of what Apple has it's sleeve to leave even those behind ....
  • Reply 52 of 129
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This is fantastic news! image

A stupider move they couldn't make.  This is almost guaranteed to kill sales of Galaxy smartphones when almost nothing else seems to have done the trick.  

Samsung is removing themselves from the market by falling on their own sword out of sheer hubris.  

A more fitting finale could not be written to this saga.  

Classic. 

• Reply 53 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

W

I think that comes from the "Let's attack Apple on every front and in every market with all the resources at our disposal" plan Google's been playing lately.  

Of course it doesn't really matter if they are "out to destroy" per se anyway because Apple and Google would still be in a "fight" no matter who is attacking who and it's pretty clear which one of the combatants is pure evil and which one is not.  So if you see Satan walking down the street, does it really matter if he actually attacks you?  

Satan is still satan.  

• Reply 54 of 129
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Actually, Samsung merged their Bada effort with Tizen and as a result, Tizen can run all existing Bada apps. Add to that the capability of running Android apps and that implies a potential to launch the OS with a fair few apps available.  Samsung employed around 2000 engineers to work on Bada in its R&D centre in Bangalore.

• Reply 55 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Unless they do something radically different than having a screen filled with app icons in which the user uses their finger to touch the icon to launch the selected app, I do not see this gaining any ground on Android/iOS.

I don't see it gaining much ground either but I think your reasoning is faulty.  

It's a 'grid of icons" because that's what people want.  Take away the silly widgety things and Android is a "grid of icons" also.  

This is because all people really want is iOS, or a cheaper clone of iOS (Android).  It was the same when the "desktop wars" were happening.  All people wanted was what was leading (IBM PC's with Windows), or close copies of that (hopefully cheaper).  Every alternative failed despite being more innovative and better designed than the original.  Once the new platform took hold, there just wasn't room for anything new.  Atari, Amiga, OS-2, and Mac OS were all valiant efforts but they never gained much momentum or market share at all.  Mac OS had the gall to hang around long enough to outlast the desktop PC with Windows market, due mostly to the tenacity of Steve Jobs.  

Tizen will only succeed to the degree that it can closely copy iOS.  If it can copy it closer than Android (and actualy get away with it), it will eventually beat out Android.  If they try to make it "different" it will fail like all the rest.  

• Reply 56 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apps in a grid pattern how original.

And was it original when Apple did it?
  • Reply 57 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And was it original when Apple did it?

Yes. Rectangles didn't exist before Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I think that comes from the "Let's attack Apple on every front and in every market with all the resources at our disposal" plan Google's been playing lately.  

Of course it doesn't really matter if they are "out to destroy" per se anyway because Apple and Google would still be in a "fight" no matter who is attacking who and it's pretty clear which one of the combatants is pure evil and which one is not.  So if you see Satan walking down the street, does it really matter if he actually attacks you?  

Satan is still satan.  

I hope you don't sincerely believe this. Google certainly doesn't because they're not idiots. Why would they kill their mobile golden goose?

If Google really wants to attack Apple at all costs, why do they go to such efforts developing rather decent iOS apps that are sometimes better than the same apps on Android?

Fess up - you're not truly idiotic but are just being facetious, right?

Satan indeed. You are such a droll troll.
  • Reply 59 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Don't quit your day jobs to become stand-up comics, guys.

Stellar intelligent comment stelligent...

• Reply 60 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It comes from those with zero sum imaginations and is based on their own desire to see Google fail. It's like this - you must hate me because I sure hate you.

Because they need someone to point their f'kng finger to and say "That's the bad guy"