Samsung's Tizen mobile OS could signal new competition for Apple's iOS, Google's Android

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    More market fragmentation... That's always good for my Apple stock.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sip View Post

The only company which gives out actual sales numbers is Apple -- every other vendor quotes numbers for devices shipped. Shipped does not mean sold.

Depends on the context.

When companies report number "shipped" in a quarter, they mean "sold" (to end users or retailers).  In that context, the words are interchangeable.

Apple, for instance, uses the word "sold" to include units in user or retailer hands, along with units that have been paid for but are still in the process of being shipped to retailers.

Samsung reports no quarterly shipped numbers any more at all, but during the short time period that they did, they meant units sold and delivered to retailers. 

In both cases, the companies are officially reporting units that gave revenue (i.e. they were sold).   In both cases, returns are accounted for separately.

Press releases are a different context.  They might quote presales or orders or a lot of different things.

• Reply 83 of 129
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

If "Galaxy" has more worldwide brand recognition than "Android" (which I seem to recall reading) then this would make a clever option for Samsung to keep up their sleeve.

• Reply 84 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Don't quit your day jobs to become stand-up comics, guys.

You ever think about stand-up comedy works?

A comedian will a write a series or jokes or anecdotes then practice them on his own or perhaps in front of friends and family. This is alpha testing and isn't too reliable for several reasons I won't get into but it can help weed out ones that may be too confusing for a general audience to get.

The next step is beta testing the material. This is done with a time window. You not only test your material but your execution which includes timing and delivery. You then review your performance either from the 1st person PoV, audio or video. You see what jokes works and why and what jokes didn't work and why.

You then repeat this beta test many times swapping the material, changing the order, altering when and how the material is delivered. This is a slow and arduous process to 1) perfect your personality as a comedian, and 2) get the right material and deliver it in the right way for a more major event, like a special on Comedy Center or selling out of a theater.

It's not easy and every comedian has failed experiences so I don't get why anyone trying to be entertaining need to be haggled, especially here where you paid no cover and had no minimum drink order to attend.

PS: Comedy is inherently difficult. If the a joke is too obvious it's not funny except perhaps to children or other immature individuals, which is why adults tend not to like jokes kids think are hysterical. If it's too specialized, like a joke that would require a knowledge of astrophysics, then it's not funny because it's not understood, which is why kids tend to get jokes adults think are hysterical.

It's not just about appealing to a specific audience but about the culture it's delivered in. Musicians can travel all around the world and perform to sold out shows but comedians have a much harder time as language and culture can be difficult barrier. Along with the cultural issue is the age of the joke. A joke about Kony that Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert or Bill Maher made a year ago may have been laugh-out-loud funny then but not today. Are you really that much different of a person or does media-based humour simply have a short lifespan?

Finally, there are jokes that not related to the news but have still expired. Ever see an old man make a joke that you are certain he heard on The Ed Sullivan Show or something like that? You recognize it as a joke as it has the constituent components and you can see how 50 years ago it may have been clever and funny, but today it's simply not. That's the sad reality of comedy. I've tried to sit through the best comedians from the 80's or 90's. It can be rough.

PPS: Comedy Central's The Burn with Jeff Ross is excellent.

How come you know so much about comedy -- and so little about computers?

• Reply 85 of 129

So, let's see...

That will leave Apple, Samzen, Googdroid,  MSokia...

Don't Sloth and Lust fit in there somewhere... Anywhere... Please?

• Reply 86 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I do not see this Tizen capable of succeeding. In fact, I will go on record to predict that Samsung has reached the pinnacle of it's success in terms of market share.

I don't think Apple will eat too much of it's lunch (though I'm expecting some). Samsung is on the top of the junk heap, and I expect other junk to eat into it's share.

I think the REAL achilles heal here is that now Samsung has had some success and they've mistaken themselves as an innovator -- Microsoft made the same error. After they got on top and wanted to lead instead of clone, the internal conflicts became more of a hindrance and innovation was stifled.

I do however wonder if the "webkit" basis means that they are going for a native HTML 5 development environment for apps -- should make it a lot easier if they concentrate on accelerating these functions.

But I'll go back to my first assumption; Samsung has always been a mass producer of other people's innovations. And as soon as they start drinking their own Kool Aide and think they got there on innovation -- that's when it's time to short the stock. That announcement from Nokia that they won't be using their competitors fab anymore has also got to hurt. Samsung will be losing their cash cow while they endeavor to placate their ego. Funny that they'd be leaving Google's platform because "they are a competitor" -- a sure sign that Samsung should have split into two companies so their manufacturing giant wouldn't suffer.

Looks alot like Sony's growing pains as well.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I see plenty of Andriod lovers spreading Apple hate because the want them to fail. What other reason would an Andriod lover be on an Apple fan site anyway? I can tell you as an Apple fan I wouldn't be caught dead on an Andriod fan site. I'm not a fan.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I see plenty of Andriod lovers spreading Apple hate because the want them to fail. What other reason would an Andriod lover be on an Apple fan site anyway? I can tell you as an Apple fan I wouldn't be caught dead on an Andriod fan site. I'm not a fan.

In my experience both extremes are as bad as the other. Very similar to politics as well where you have the far extremes controlling the conversation with the vast majority far closer to the center.

I have bought and used nothing other than Apple computers since the early 1980's and even someone like me is ashamed of some of the nonsense I see posted here daily. Any criticism or suggestion that Apple should do even one single thing slightly different is treated as a hostile attack instead of argued on the merits. 

• Reply 89 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If Sammy has to use Tizen at some point and quit Android due to Goog/Moto...well, I'd be nervous if I were an investor. This will put Sammy virtually in a future tie with MSFT, BB and other bottom feeders. Because if I'm looking at this from just an average consumer's POV, if I'm pretty used to Android, I'm not likely to go to a Tizen phone, I'll just find another Android handset maker.

To put it bluntly, I can buy another cheap plastic phone from any handset maker, most people aren't buying Samsung for the build quality, they're buying because of Android/Advertising/Who knows.

No links, but others have posted that it's the Sammy Marketing Payouts to carriers and carrier salesmen (SPIFFS?)...

If Sammy drops Android -- Android is GooMed™

• Reply 90 of 129
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No links, but others have posted that it's the Sammy Marketing Payouts to carriers and carrier salesmen (SPIFFS?)...

If Sammy drops Android -- Android is GooMed™

If they dropped Android I agree, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  But they could challenge Google a bit by offering Tizen, Ubuntu, Windows and any other OS they chose in addition to Android. What about the possibility of a dual boot phone? If they released the Samsung Galaxy S4 for Tizen a month or two before the Android version it would certainly give that platform a lot of immediate attention. 

In my opinion Tizen could only ever take off if it runs all Android apps smoothly. If it manages that, no one would really notice or care. All their apps would be there and just work as before. Of course the GUI would have to be about as good or better than Jelly Bean and I do onot know enough about Tizen to offer an opinion on that aspect.  

If they manage to get all android apps running smoothly they could completely abandon Android if they chose to do so. However, since they get it for free there is little incentive other than Google forcing them to so by some future move like charging a fee or giving Motorola preferential treatment for example. 

• Reply 91 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

This is BEYOND ridiculous ....

It's iOS & Android (yeccchhh) and THAT'S IT!!!

NOBODY'S interested in Windows8 Mobile.

NOBODY'S interested in Tinzu.

NOBODY'S interested in Linux Mobile.

These are all just supermegadesperate flailings by Apple's "competitors" while they helplessly watch

as Apple walks away with the future of computing -- MOBILE.

Everybody's fighting against iFon & iPad, but they have ZERO idea of what Apple has it's sleeve to leave even those behind ....

It's kinda' iFun -- isn't it?

• Reply 92 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Bias? I really came down to realizing that one of the reasons I prefer Mac/iOS is for the design of icons and the overall GUI. Exceptions granted such as calendar, contacts, passbook shredder and quite some inconsistencies. However, until now I have never come across another GUI where I felt "this looks great".
    And I put functionality aside because I have not tried tizen. Or even android.

Do really think Apple's GUI looks great? It looks functional but not great.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Plastic screen, how… high quality.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............

• Reply 94 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Functional is what it's all about.  The icons have a more 3D look to them rather than the pathetic 2D look that Android and windows apps now have.  They are doing 2D because their OS would be too sluggish if it had a 3D look to them.

• Reply 95 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Functional is what it's all about.  The icons have a more 3D look to them rather than the pathetic 2D look that Android and windows apps now have.  They are doing 2D because their OS would be too sluggish if it had a 3D look to them.

I don't know about other platforms... but the iOS icons are ratster graphics (.png images) -- they may look 3D but there is no additional processing required.

In fact, icons on Windows 8 could be vector graphics -- and could be processed more efficiently than raster graphics (define the 4 corners of a rectangle and a fill color -- as opposed to a raster image containing all the bits).

• Reply 96 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If "Galaxy" has more worldwide brand recognition than "Android" (which I seem to recall reading) then this would make a clever option for Samsung to keep up their sleeve.

I agree...  it appears that Sammy has laid the Tizen card on the table... face down!

• Reply 97 of 129
    genovelle wrote: »

They don't get enough Apple fans trolling on Android sites, so they come here to pick fights.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    Tizen is just a bargaining chip that Samsung will use to force Google to lower Android licensing fees. Oh wait...
  • Reply 99 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How come you know so much about comedy -- and so little about computers?

That cuts deep. If I had a feeling it would have been hurt. :smokey:
  • Reply 100 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tizen is just a bargaining chip that Samsung will use to force Google to lower Android licensing fees. Oh wait...

I looked up the word "backstabber" in the dictionary and it had a Samsung logo by it.