Apple says software update coming to fix iOS 6.1 passcode vulnerability

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following quickly after news emerged of an iOS passcode bypass exploit, Apple has given word that it will be releasing a software update to repair the vulnerability.

iPhone

AllThingsD carried word today from Apple spokeswoman Trudy muller that the iPhone maker is working on a solution to the issue.

"Apple takes user security very seriously," Muller said. "We are aware of this issue and will deliver a fix in a future software update."

Muller gave no details on when such an update might be released.

News of the exploit broke yesterday when JailBreak Nation posted a step-by-step guide to bypassing iOS 6.1's passcode lock feature. The vulnerability is nearly identical to one that appeared in October of 2010.

Using the bypass process allows one to view and modify contacts, listen to voicemail, and browse a user's photos. It does not appear, however, to grant access to email or the web.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

They may fix that hole, but there's always another one:

Tap, Tap, spin, clap your hands, stick your finger in your ear, stand on one foot. Press the lock button 5 times, turn the phone upside, hold the phone the "correct way" once then hold it "incorrectly" immediately following for 3 seconds. Stomp your feet 4 times and yodel to the moon.

Seriously, who stays up all night trying to find these weird exploits?

• Reply 2 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple takes user security very seriously," Muller said. "We are aware of this issue and will deliver a fix in a future software update."

In the meantime, not forgetting your iPhone at the bar is an effective preventive measure.

• Reply 3 of 9
    I know, right? Seriously... when I read through the multi-step "method" of achieving this "exploit", I laughed out loud... especially when I got to the last step which basically says "whatever you do don't release the sleep button"... so the access lasts only as long as you are physically pressing the sleep button...? How useful!

I suppose there is the remote possibility of a corporate competitor getting their hands on an employee's phone and conjuring this 'exploit' from memory… all for limited access to a contact list, photos or voicemail? haha… joke's on the one doing the 'hack'...

That said, it's so arcane I'm not sure I could successfully get through it even with the instructions right in front of me...

How on EARTH did anyone 'discover' this in the first place...?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

In the meantime, not forgetting your iPhone at the bar is an effective preventive measure.

That was funny...hmmm no one has found an iPhone 6 yet.....

• Reply 5 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Your fired!!!

• Reply 6 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    And nobody would know about this convoluted exploit if every tech blog in the internet didn't fall over itself in a rush to publish the step by step instructions about how to execute said exploit. I mean, really? Nothing beats clicks I guess, but it's sad that there's no accounting for responsibility, or consequences of publishing dangerous info to millions upon millions of people.
  • Reply 7 of 9

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Your fired!!!

Sorry, I won't let my fired run loose in the future.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Can't get this to work on iPhone 5. Just get black screen with the blue menu bar. Must be deliberately designed to make people upgrade to the more secure iPhone 5. ;)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, I won't let my fired run loose in the future.

Lol.  Your humor cracks me up.  Now I have to get some super glue.