Former Apple retail chief John Browett now CEO of UK chain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After being ousted from Apple in October, former Vice President of Retail John Browett has taken a new job as chief executive at UK-based women's fashion chain Monsoon Accessorize.

Browett

At his new post, Browett will be in charge of more than 1,000 stores, over 350 of which are located in the UK, as well as daily the operations of the High Street retailer, reports The Financial Times. As noted by CNET, the number of Monsoon Accessorize outlets is well over double that of existing Apple Stores.

Founder of Monsoon Accessorize Peter Simon said the company searched extensively for a new CEO before settling on Browett.

"John has the skills and experience needed to take Monsoon Accessorize to the next level," Simon said.

Browett, whose short tenure at Apple was marred by a number of reported missteps, was hired by Apple in January 2012 after working as CEO for European technology dealer Dixons. He was fired from his Apple post in October after, just six months after he began work in April.

During his short stint, a number of reports from employees found the executive to be more focused on profit margins than offering the hallmark "Apple Store experience" that made the tech giant's retail outlets popular. Browett purportedly drew complaints from Apple Store employees after initiating a hiring freeze in August and scaling back working hours for part-time personnel.

For his part, Browett said the firings and time cuts were a "mistake," and claimed he would reverse the changes.

Apple is still in the process of finding a suitable replacement to head its retail sector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33

Sounds more suitable.

• Reply 2 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"John has the skills and experience needed to take Monsoon Accessorize to the next level," Simon said.

By how?  Trying to take a (possible) money-making store and cutting customer service and ruining employee morale?  Is that how?  If so, I give him 12-18 months.

• Reply 3 of 33

It sounds like this is a more suitable role for him. Wish him luck.

• Reply 4 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sounds similar to what Tim Cook told me last year! "...its(sic) to bring Apple to an even higher level of customer service and satisfaction."

Well he failed at that, actually started to do the reverse.

• Reply 5 of 33

I'm sure he'll do very well in Women's Clothing...

• Reply 6 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    markcu wrote: »
    Yes... Not that I give a shit.
  • Reply 7 of 33

A lot of people dislike Browett but if you go to any Apple retail store nowadays, you'll know that he actually was right in the need to cut people, just poor timing and execution. 

Simple put, there's way too many employees standing there in the store chatting with each other nowadays because there's just not as many customers as before. And I'm talking about the busiest hours during weekends/holidays, not just normal quiet day. 

• Reply 8 of 33

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

…because there's just not as many customers as before.

How could you come to this conclusion?

• Reply 9 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How could you come to this conclusion?

Not by reading this, surely:

http://www.asymco.com/2013/02/13/tim-cooks-comments-on-apple-stores-illustrated/

• Reply 10 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Former Apple retail chief John Browett now CEO of UK chain:

Layoffs to follow shortly...

• Reply 11 of 33
    how is it Ahole's like this always manage to move foward even as eff-up everything they touch?
  • Reply 12 of 33

nm

• Reply 13 of 33

Quote:

A lot of people dislike Browett but if you go to any Apple retail store nowadays, you'll know that he actually was right in the need to cut people, just poor timing and execution. 

Simple put, there's way too many employees standing there in the store chatting with each other nowadays because there's just not as many customers as before. And I'm talking about the busiest hours during weekends/holidays, not just normal quiet day. 

your right but your wrong. I have seen that and then a day later, same store, same time all those people are booked. There are ebbs and flows and you need to have people when you need to make the sale.

If your short staffed someone your paying $8 an hour and it costs you a $2000 sale, how is it smart?

The cost / benefit ratio of staffing averages out over the year, not any given day. Not unless you are totally seasonal. Apple isn't. They have the highest profitability per square ft in retail.

If their service is not top notch and they lose a customer, they never get them back. Just look at Circuit City, Comp USA, and now Best Buy. 

Apple' store is the face of the company. You and Browett would give it a black eye to be penny wise, pound foolish

• Reply 14 of 33

Yep. No one goes there anymore because it is too crowded. I never see much idle chit-chat and the store are packed starting at open.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

I'm impressed.  There are around 400 stores worldwide and you know the state of every one of them.  Do you monitor all the stores as a hobby?  Or perhaps you just full facts out of thin air to sound authoritative?

• Reply 16 of 33
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

how is it Ahole's like this always manage to move foward even as eff-up everything they touch?

I don't know how old you are, but really?  You are wondering about this fundamental truism of life?  It's kind of the law of the jungle in most corporations.  Why do you think Dilbert exists as all?

• Reply 17 of 33
    Good luck to the UK chain that 'settled' on Browlett. He certainly wasn't Apple material.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Mock Browett all you want, but the guy MUST have some merit and some skills if he keeps getting hired by massive companies as a CEO- and so soon after being let go.  There's a shitload of qualified people out there, so I'm assuming he must bring something to the table. 

• Reply 19 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Complete bullshit. I've been to 4 different Apple store this past month in different cities, and they've all been as busy as I've ever seen them. But hey, noone said that facts are required to troll. 

• Reply 20 of 33
    markcu wrote: »

LOL. John Browett in women's clothing. That'll be the day.