New Zealand police choose iOS over Android in tech push, to distribute 10,000 iPhones and iPads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Tassie cops tried it, but the senior management got too nervous and dropped the ball - too much change for old Police. This could have been you three years ago TASMANIA..... Apple does work, it can succeed !!! You were all so short sighted....You had to follow the government sheep. You don't deserve iPhones and iPads they are too good for you. Windows mobile 6.5 still looking good now for IT people who love Windows and sabotaged IOS ?? Hit yourself over the head with a few bones and go back to sleep, 2001 hasn't arrived in 2012 for you. Hows that personal shopper in Exec support ? - Still anon blogging about how "Apple will never work"....?

Congratulations NZ - You are a shining example !!! - Im put to shame for being born in Tasmania.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    cde79 wrote: »
    [SIZE=10pt]When I'm in the middle of the Tararuas tramping or out at castle point chilling the only the network I can pick up is telecom. I fail to see how UFB will assist police with cell coverage? Performance wise it has already been proven that Telecom's speed and coverage is far superior see various speed test videos uploaded on youtube; unfortunatly I don't like Telecom. Personally I'm with TelstraClear (package deal because they offer cable) who biggy back Vodafone's cell network and the service/speed is absolute rubbish.[/SIZE]

Remembering of course that Vodafone owns TC

Vodafone are upgrading their sites to DC at the moment, so depending on your phone it will get faster shortly.

But trying to compare national wide coverage to one location is not a great example, both Telecom and Vodafone both claim 97% population coverage, I can find tonnes of places I get no Telecom coverage, but can get 2Degrees or Vodafone.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    What's with the missing messages on this thread this morning?
  • Reply 44 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatbosan View Post

Steligent:  Tja, måske jeg skulle gøre det.

Gør det

• Reply 45 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What's with the missing messages on this thread this morning?

AI SOP. Apparently:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153725/moderator-behaviors

• Reply 46 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Now, now...

If you want to go the the corner bookstore to do a reading on Winston Churchill, go right ahead.

Other individuals would prefer to engage in lively debate and not be concerned with someone's ability to throw yet another quote out there and expect it to actually mean something.

Start at 2:21 quote boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPWJOJYVKc

• Reply 47 of 61
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sflocal wrote: »

Now, now...

If you want to go the the corner bookstore to do a reading on Winston Churchill, go right ahead.

Other individuals would prefer to engage in lively debate and not be concerned with someone's ability to throw yet another quote out there and expect it to actually mean something.

Start at 2:21 quote boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

I quoted Winston Churchill because it was more polite than saying dumbshit comments like that make apple fans look like childish assholes.

Is that lively enough for you?

Oh and nice move in using another Google asset to rebut without even thinking about it. I'm sure all the fandroids have their panties in a wad over that...and google will have made a little more money in any resulting clicks to further fund android.
  • Reply 48 of 61

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I quoted Winston Churchill because it was more polite than saying dumbshit comments like that make apple fans look like childish assholes. Is that lively enough for you?

It's fighting trolling with trolling. Fortunately, our version of trolling doesn't take place on websites where it shouldn't.

If you're bothered by the anti-trolling, isn't that an indicator of something? image

• Reply 49 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's fighting trolling with trolling. Fortunately, our version of trolling doesn't take place on websites where it shouldn't.

If you're bothered by the anti-trolling, isn't that an indicator of something? image

It's an indicator that I believe that "fighting trolling with trolling" just makes the forums a fucking cesspit and makes the rest of us look like idiots.

But given that you're the moderator it's not such a huge surprise now is it?  

• Reply 50 of 61

Originally Posted by nht View Post

It's an indicator that I believe that "fighting trolling with trolling" just makes the forums a fucking cesspit and makes the rest of us look like idiots.

Would the former were lessened, neither would be necessary, and the latter would be frowned upon as much.

But given that you're the moderator it's not such a huge surprise now is it?  

It'd be a lot less funny if this theory of yours made sense, but then it would make sense. I'm sort of torn which one I want you to believe. I mean, I'm all about truth, but humor's great, as well. 

• Reply 51 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would the former were lessened, neither would be necessary, and the latter would be frowned upon as much.

It'd be a lot less funny if this theory of yours made sense, but then it would make sense. I'm sort of torn which one I want you to believe. I mean, I'm all about truth, but humor's great, as well. 

I've seen you troll these forums and sometimes it's humorous but mostly tiresome given the frequency.  

So my point is that it is no surprise that "fighting trolling with trolling" is viewed as a good thing as a matter of forum policy since it fits your posting style.

It's a policy that works only if all you want is an echo chamber populated by trolls and counter-trolls.

• Reply 52 of 61
    omegaomega Posts: 427member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's a pretty thorough test. Odd results though, don't they know most people want bigger phones like the Galaxy S3?

As a NZ'er I found this post offensive and derogatory towards our men in blue who are doing fine work.  Unfortunately I can not see which of the seven TOS it violates but I demand TS delete this obnoxious post for its contentious nature.

• Reply 53 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega View Post

As a NZ'er I found this post offensive and derogatory towards our men in blue who are doing fine work.  Unfortunately I can not see which of the seven TOS it violates but I demand TS delete this obnoxious post for its contentious nature.

• Reply 54 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Are you serious? I'm a NZ'er and don't find the post offensive and or derogatory towards our Police.

I assume that you are not trolling or being sarcastic and are just extremely sensitive and naive to the comic nature of the lewd innuendo that is implied? All the author of the doctored image is implying is that apple maps is a sub par service.

I'd be more worried about your inadvertent discriminatory comment you made stating "men in blue" as it's clear in the photo that the NZ Police force are equal opportunity employer.

If one does get upset at such things then perhaps it might be best to avoid interactions with parts of the interweb where there is minimal censorship.

I thought it was funny... Bush Fires image
  • Reply 55 of 61

Originally Posted by cde79 View Post

I thought it was funny... Bush Fires 1biggrin.gif

And it's a real place. Of whose existence I was first informed way back in pre-calculus class. I only remember it because our teacher, who was an easy-going guy, wanted to tell the story of his trip there without saying the word, so he checked out the door for administration, quickly wrote it on the board, and erased it immediately.

Weird that the memory would be brought back like this. 

• Reply 56 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    omega wrote:

I'm not sure which part is making fun of the NZ police, it was making fun of the Maps app as in:

- reporting seemingly made-up offensive names
    - reporting incorrect location
    - causing possible harm from bush fires

It might have been better to go with Dildo Cove but I found it funny that there was a Dildo Trading Post that has nothing to do what it sounds like and of course it matches up with bush fires. You don't want to get stuck in a bush fire near Dildo Cove - I'm sure it's wet enough there that it may not be likely but always play it safe. If it ever happens of course, there's the possibility of moving to Climax Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climax,_Michigan

Maybe even try F*ing in Austria:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=fucking+austria

Not New Zealand though, the names are hard to pronounce:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

It's not like I'm making these names up or anything. They're in Google Maps, the gold standard of maps.
  • Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's a pretty thorough test. Odd results though, don't they know most people want bigger phones like the Galaxy S3?

Well, maybe not so much. ?

• Reply 58 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

How do they know which police officer logged into which iPad, do they just have one user/password for the whole precinct. The iPad doesn't do secure network login's or multiuser so does that just mean that any officer can use any iPad. Here in Swizerland our Police use Panasonic tablets with built in fingerprint scanners. Australian police must be hurting for cash if their using a non-tough consumer product. Good for Apple here but the iPad would be my last choice in the field. There are companies who make better tablets for Police field work like Getac, Havis, Fujistu, Xplore and Panasonic. There's going to be a lot of reports being filled out for broken iPads before the years out. If my kids can break an iPad by only dopping it 2.5 feet off the ground then I can just imagine what these cops iPads will look like after one month of use.

• Reply 59 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'd say they are both pretty much on par, but it can depend a lot what phone you use for either.

Both my phones - work and personal - are on Vodafone, so I can compare. In Glenfield mall, for example, there are two spots where my 3Gs will have no service at all. I'd normally blame it on Vodafone, except that my (otherwise crappy) Nokia E5 seems to be doing nice, showing strong signal and all that.

I did notice quite a number of posts around forums, from people claiming they moved from V to T recently and could not be happier about that, but it is always hard to estimate, but it is always hard to estimate how large (and how vocal) group actually is...

Actually there is a valid reason for this.

The Nokia E5 is Quad-band whereas the iPhone 3G/S is only Tri-Band.

Vodafone do not support 3G on anything less than 2100mHz I think it is. I had this issue with my iPad 1 and my iPhone 4. The iPhone picked up 3G with no problems but I couldn't even get a signal with the iPad or if I could it wouldn't be 3G but only GPRS.

• Reply 60 of 61
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

ahh - thanks for that gem. I was at a loss why my wife's 3GS wasn't getting 3G signal at home, only GPRS, that explains it. cheers