Staples to start selling Apple products in U.S., executive says [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Office supply chain Staples will start selling Apple products in its U.S. stores sometime in the near future, according to a company senior vice president.

iPad mini


Update: Mulot has deleted the original tweet regarding Apple product sales, but other Staples executives' posts remain on the microblogging site.

In a tweet from Staples' Senior Vice President of Global Human Resources Regis Mulot, the chain will begin stocking Apple devices in U.S. locations soon.

After Canada, #Apple products arecoming to #Staples in US. Great news!? Regis Mulot (@FrenchHR) February 15, 2013


Along with Mulot's comment, a number of employees who were at a corporate meeting on Thursday also tweeted out the news. While it is unclear what products Staples will bring to its U.S. stores, the company already carries Apple's wares in Canada.

Other executives chimed in with their own tweets, including Staples Strategic Accounts Coordinator Erin LaFlamme and Field Services Manager Mike Goggin:

Thanks #Apple for letting #Staples sell you...oh, and for the delicious apple products to celebrate at? instagr.am/p/Vuezsgk6_t/

? Erin LaFlamme (@ErinLaFlamme)


Staples just finalized a deal to begin selling Apple products #finally

? Mike Goggin (@Goggin88)


AppleInsider has reached out to Staples and will update this story when we know more.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So Apple stock can drop another few points.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member


    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    Office supply chain Staples is rumored to start selling Apple products in its U.S. stores in the near future, according to a company senior vice president.




    Apple products....yeah we got that.......

  • Reply 3 of 24
    Ugh. Staples is a terrible company. This will only do damage to the Apple brand.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Just wait until tomorrow when he tweets an apology because not only is the US rollout not happening nei is Canada. Because due doesn't understand what 'confidential don't freaking talk about it' means and apple cut the deal due to breach of contract.
  • Reply 5 of 24


    Next stop, Radio Shack! Oops, already there. Walmart? Already there.


     


    McDonald's Happy Meals? Soon.

  • Reply 6 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,154member
    Lol
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Ugh. Staples is a terrible company. This will only do damage to the Apple brand.

    Lol.. That's a ridiculous sentiment. How the hell would it do damage to the brand? U know apple products are sold at Walmart and shoppers drug Mart, right? The more the better. This is a good thing.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member


    Staples.  LOL.

  • Reply 8 of 24
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,572member


    This is great news for me. I'm a Staples Premier customer, so I can trade in 20 ink cartridges per month ($2/cart, $40 a month in Staples Rewards). That's $480/year that I can use to buy Apple products. Plus, they run all kinds of promotions during the year where you can get 20% back in Rewards on purchases and 100% back in Rewards on certain items.


     


    And before you ask, I go to eBay and buy a [Lot] of 400 ink empty cartridges for $60 and use those to trade in. Make my money back in two months and receive well over a year's worth of $40/month rewards in return.

  • Reply 9 of 24
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    This is great news for me. I'm a Staples Premier customer, so I can trade in 20 ink cartridges per month ($2/cart, $40 a month in Staples Rewards). That's $480/year that I can use to buy Apple products. Plus, they run all kinds of promotions during the year where you can get 20% back in Rewards on purchases and 100% back in Rewards on certain items.

    And before you ask, I go to eBay and buy a [Lot] of 400 ink empty cartridges for $60 and use those to trade in. Make my money back in two months and receive well over a year's worth of $40/month rewards in return.

    If you're getting $40 per month regularly that's a great score. If they sell Macs you can definitely build up a nice reserve before you're ready to buy your next RMBP. How long does the credit stay on your account? I assume indefinitely.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,572member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    If you're getting $40 per month regularly that's a great score. If they sell Macs you can definitely build up a nice reserve before you're ready to buy your next RMBP. How long does the credit stay on your account? I assume indefinitely.




    If you're just a regular Staples Rewards customer, you can only trade in 10 cartridges per month ($20) and the Rewards expire two months after being issued. If you are a Staples Premier customer, you can trade in 20 cartridges ($40) and the rewards expire 5 months after they are issued.

  • Reply 11 of 24
    mazda 3s wrote: »

    If you're just a regular Staples Rewards customer, you can only trade in 10 cartridges per month ($20) and the Rewards expire two months after being issued. If you are a Staples Premier customer, you can trade in 20 cartridges ($40) and the rewards expire 5 months after they are issued.

    Two months and 5 months? I was assuming it was more like a gift card that one purchases with money. Obviously a poor assumption on my part. $200 toward an iPhone or iPad would be a pretty big dent. Can you use it to buy iTunes GC's they sell or are there restrictions on what merchandise the credit can go toward?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    mazda 3s wrote: »

    If you're just a regular Staples Rewards customer, you can only trade in 10 cartridges per month ($20) and the Rewards expire two months after being issued. If you are a Staples Premier customer, you can trade in 20 cartridges ($40) and the rewards expire 5 months after they are issued.

    Two months and 5 months? I was assuming it was more like a gift card that one purchases with money. Obviously a poor assumption on my part. $200 toward an iPhone or iPad would be a pretty big dent. Can you use it to buy iTunes GC's they sell or are there restrictions on what merchandise the credit can go toward?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,572member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Two months and 5 months? I was assuming it was more like a gift card that one purchases with money. Obviously a poor assumption on my part. $200 toward an iPhone or iPad would be a pretty big dent. Can you use it to buy iTunes GC's they sell or are there restrictions on what merchandise the credit can go toward?


    Staples is kinda wonky with respect to buying gift cards and using Rewards. You can't use Rewards to buy gift cards in-store, but you can purchase them online. Just today, I cashed in $80 in Rewards for a $50 VISA gift card (plus the stupid activation fee) and a $25 Starbucks gift card. You can also buy iTunes gift cards online from Staples using your Rewards.

  • Reply 14 of 24
    That was easy
  • Reply 15 of 24
    That was easy! Though MacCentric beat me to it. Guess another don't quit your day job moment, huh stell?
  • Reply 16 of 24


    Surprised this isn't already the case, as they are already carried in Canada.  Since when does Canada get something before the USA?


    imageimage

  • Reply 17 of 24
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    dbtinc wrote: »
    I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?

    They already did! The RMBP came down in price a few days ago
  • Reply 19 of 24

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post



    I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?


     


    Bad assumption. Particularly if you are basing it off reseller pricing. Companies like Staples are more than happy to sell highly visible items at cost or even a loss to get butts in stores. Apple knows this and doesn't adjust for such things. They do adjust (price, spec, sometimes both) due to prices of components coming down, such as what happen with the rMBP. 

  • Reply 20 of 24
    dbtinc wrote: »
    I assume that with all this competition the prices of Apple products will come down?

    No Apple has a contract with all retail partners, they have to charge what Apple tells them to, if a retailer (not including the Apple Stores) want to issue a discount, they have to pay Apple the full retail price per unit.
Sign In or Register to comment.