Shocking: Apple's 2.5GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now just $1,349.00

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
On the heels of Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display price cuts earlier this week, the company's channel partners continue to shave down the cost of acquiring one of the flagship notebooks, with the entry-level 13-inch model now selling for just $1,349 -- a $350 discount that places it below the cost of some 13-inch MacBook Airs.

$1,499 MacBook Pro

Apple Authorized Reseller MacConnection tipped AppleInsider -- and our price guides reflect -- that it's now selling the 2.5GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, 8GB of memory and a 128GB solid state flash drive for just $1,349. That's $50 less than the Apple's MSRP on the 1.8GHz 13-inch MacBook Air with 256GB of solid state storage, a $350 discount to its original MSRP of $1,699, and the absolute lowest price we've ever seen for Retina-display enabled MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Be prepared for the "Apple is Doomed" nonsense.

Apparently, if Apple doesn't cut prices, they're doomed because they're too expensive. If they cut prices, they're doomed because sales must be slow.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    jragosta wrote: »

Apparently, if Apple doesn't cut prices, they're doomed because they're too expensive. If they cut prices, they're doomed because sales must be slow.

You're the only one I ever hear "Apple is doomed" from, Rag. Repeatedly, like the same bad joke told by an elderly relative every thanksgiving, year after year. Find a new schtick already.
  • Reply 3 of 47

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

You're the only one I ever hear "Apple is doomed" from, Rag. Repeatedly, like the same bad joke told by an elderly relative every thanksgiving, year after year. Find a new schtick already.

Because we've torn it from the hands of the trolls and spit on it. We tried to hand it back to them, but only a few of them accepted. But we're fine with our own spit, and it keeps the less creative ones away.

• Reply 4 of 47
    Sorry, no ability to upgrade the RAM, and I wouldn't touch the laptop.

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.
  • Reply 5 of 47

Education price for the 2.5/128 Retina 13" is only $1,399 -- i.e., only a $50 difference relative to the lowest price advertised here. And the definition of 'education' is broad: get on your kid's PTO, or get accepted at a community college!

• Reply 6 of 47
    But a Surface Pro 128GB with a Type cover is only $1130...Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 7 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    tailstoo wrote: »
    Sorry, no ability to upgrade the RAM, and I wouldn't touch the laptop.

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.

It's not that the MBP was heavy, it was just that once you've used the MBA and experienced just how light and pleasant it is to use, everything else seems like dead weight.

A great price for sure, but I'll stick with my MBA for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I hope this more reasonable price trend at Apple trickles down to the new Mac Pro which will hopefully be released soon.

A little off topic but I haven't seen any Mac ads in a long while. I mostly see iPhone ads (with a carrier logo) and occasionally see an iPad ad or two. Really not seeing many Apple ads at all and no Mac ads whatsoever. True, I use a DVR so usually fast forward through ads but still haven't noticed any. Wonder if they are planning a new ad campaign anytime soon?

The Microsoft surface sucks as a product but I have to admit their ads are clever and make an impression.

• Reply 9 of 47
    dougddougd Posts: 292member

No better than buying from B&H if you are in California.  Sales tax takes it up to the B&H price.

• Reply 10 of 47
    jragosta wrote: »

Yep the stock will nose dive as analysts will point to their shrinking margins or some such drivel.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I'd have bought one instead of the regular 13" MacBook Pro if they include a discrete GPU. My old 2008 MacBook Pro was getting a tad slow.

It's such a shame that Apple went Intel only graphics in a "Pro" machine, almost insulting really considering the price tag.
  • Reply 12 of 47

I don't know about that. The analysts for years have been complaining Macs are just too expensive and if Apple could lower the price the increased volume would more than make up for any margin loss. Maybe this will be viewed positively. 

• Reply 13 of 47
    gwmac wrote: »
    I hope this more reasonable price trend at Apple trickles down to the new Mac Pro which will hopefully be released soon.

A little off topic but I haven't seen any Mac ads in a long while. I mostly see iPhone ads (with a carrier logo) and occasionally see an iPad ad or two. Really not seeing many Apple ads at all and no Mac ads whatsoever. True, I use a DVR so usually fast forward through ads but still haven't noticed any. Wonder if they are planning a new ad campaign anytime soon?

The Microsoft surface sucks as a product but I have to admit their ads are clever and make an impression.

Have they come up with new ads for the Surface? The only ones I have seen were those goofy dance-and-click ones that remind me of those awful Kit-Kat commercials.
  • Reply 14 of 47

RAM is so cheap these days. Why not just max out the RAM and alleviate people's concerns about upgrading the RAM?

• Reply 15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Have they come up with new ads for the Surface? The only ones I have seen were those goofy dance-and-click ones that remind me of those awful Kit-Kat commercials.

To each his own. I liked them. The expression of that catholic schoolgirl makes me laugh every time I see it since she looks so angry and serious. All an ad is supposed to do is make you think about and remember the product which it does very well. I don't like the surface, but their selling point is that click on keyboard, so for people that like that feature it is a good ad. 

• Reply 16 of 47
    Shocked? Why not delighted about lower prices for a fantastic computer.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    saarek wrote: »
    I'd have bought one instead of the regular 13" MacBook Pro if they include a discrete GPU. My old 2008 MacBook Pro was getting a tad slow.

It's such a shame that Apple went Intel only graphics in a "Pro" machine, almost insulting really considering the price tag.

There are many different types of professionals. This may be a professional grade machine to many users. Not all professionals require a discrete GPU. Nor do they all require the ability to upgrade the memory and such after purchase. It all depends on the individual use case.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    gwmac wrote: »
    To each his own. I liked them. The expression of that catholic schoolgirl makes me laugh every time I see it since she looks so angry and serious. All an ad is supposed to do is make you think about and remember the product which it does very well. I don't like the surface, but their selling point is that click on keyboard, so for people that like that feature it is a good ad. 

I have no problem with that, I was just curious if they have come out with some new ads that I have not seen.
  • Reply 19 of 47

If Apple takes the MBA retina with the upcoming Haswell chip, that would be a very VERY nice laptop

• Reply 20 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougD View Post

No better than buying from B&H if you are in California.  Sales tax takes it up to the B&H price.

I'm not sure I understand your comment. I thought all online retailers are now required to charge sales tax in California regardless of where the store is actually located. California sales tax is really complicated because every county and some cities have different rates and they cannot simply be determined by zip codes either.