Could someone explain this? I AM SO CONFUSED. (trying to create a Mountain Lion bootable USB drive)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

New iMac running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. When running this OS viewing the Mac App Store and checking out the ML page or my purchased items reveals, not a grayed-oud button called "INSTALLED", but rather a clickable button called "DOWNLOAD".

Some images for reference:

And when I click this download button:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Guessing -

1) Partitioned GUID ?

2) Ignore ownership on this volume selected ?

(edit: sorry I meant DEselected)

• Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Guessing -

1) Partitioned GUID ?

2) Ignore ownership on this volume selected ?

(edit: sorry I meant DEselected)

Please explain.

• Reply 3 of 10

Your drive needs to formatted to MacOs extended with a GUID partition.

• Reply 4 of 10
    robm wrote: »
    Your drive needs to formatted to MacOs extended with a GUID partition.

By why would a brand new Mac require this? It doesn't make sense. I only used Migration Assistant. Not TimeMachine.
  • Reply 5 of 10

Sorry Ireland - from the title of your post you appear to be trying to create a bootable USB disk with a copy of ML on it, yes ?

Or are you having some other issue - again sorry, just trying to clarify.

• Reply 6 of 10
    robm wrote: »
    Sorry Ireland - from the title of your post you appear to be trying to create a bootable USB disk with a copy of ML on it, yes ?
    Or are you having some other issue - again sorry, just trying to clarify.

Ignore the title of my post. I got that done on my old iMac. That part is now sorted. What I don't understand is why the Mac App Store doesn't mark Mountain Lion as installed on my new machine when that is the case.
  • Reply 7 of 10

ahh - k.

Then I think Migration Assistant has brought over all your old settings and permissions from the other installation.

As a quick check, can you make a new user account, give yourself full privileges and log in. What does the About this Mac say ?

There is a good read here that may well sort you out, kinda long but deals with all kinds of issues others have had.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404860

another here http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

• Reply 8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

ahh - k.

Then I think Migration Assistant has brought over all your old settings and permissions from the other installation.

As a quick check, can you make a new user account, give yourself full privileges and log in. What does the About this Mac say?

About this Mac says current version on new admin, and logging into Mac App Store lists Mountain Lion button as "Download" too. I'm going to try to restore the system and take over my stuff manually.

UPDATE: I wiped the hard drive and did a full restore and the Mac App Store still lists Mountain Lion with a clickable "Download" button, as opposed to listing it with the greyed-out "Installed" button, as it should. This seems to be a bug on Apple's part. I'm going to now use migration assistant to bring back my Mac to the way it was. I hope Apple sorts this BUG out. And it is a bug, so don't any of you cult members question me on this, or dare suggest it is my fault. Moving on.

• Reply 9 of 10
    rudorudo Posts: 1member

By purchasing Mountain Lion, his installer is downloaded to your /Applications folder. After installation, the installer is removed, probably to save space. Thus, it is no more in /Applications (if you want to archive, copy it elsewhere before installation). You may download it (installer) again, so it serves an active Download button in Mac AppStore. Thus, no error.

• Reply 10 of 10

Yeah... the "Download" button is correct ... not a bug. (see rudo's response)

The "...not compatible with this computer" message could certainly be considered a bug though.