Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Fresh information from the Chitika ad network points to a near 50/50 split when comparing the North American web share of Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III, but overall, iOS devices still account for a majority of the market.

Comparison
Source: Chitika Insights

While the iPhone 5 still has a slight lead over the Galaxy S III, Chitika Insights' comparison data shows the Samsung handset has made up substantial ground since the last study was performed in October 2012.

The firm's research arm harvested the latest statistics from "tens of millions" of U.S. and Canadian smartphone mobile ad impressions seen across its network from Feb. 1 through Feb. 9.

According to the data, a direct comparison in web marketshare saw the iPhone 5 take a 51 percent stake, meaning the S III came up with 49 percent. In contrast, the October study found Apple's newest device to have an eight percentage point lead on Samsung's flagship handset.

Taking a look at broad overall impressions, the iPhone 5 accounted for 6.6 percent of traffic, compared to the Galaxy S III's 6.3 percent. Including all iPhone models currently being used in the U.S. and Canada, Apple took a 41.5 percent share of the market, representing a 4.5 percent drop from the time of the last study. Samsung boosted its overall presence to 20.6 percent over the same period, up from 17 percent in October.

Comparison
Source: Chitika Insights

Apple and Samsung dominated the market with a combined 62.1 percent marketshare, but that number is one percent below October's findings, suggesting that there is at least some churn taking place in the North American smartphone market.

It was recently reported that of Apple's smartphone web share, iOS 6 now accounts for 83 percent of all iOS traffic in North America. The stats are impressive given that the mobile OS was only released in September of 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If accurate, no matter how you feel about Samsung or their tactics this is an impressive achievement. They did have a few extra months but they also have to compete with all Android-based devices, including their own Samsung devices. I have no idea if their cost in marketing is worth their investment but it clearly shows that marketing works.

It also shows us that Android users do use their their phones in much the same way as iPhone owners… when they have decent Android phone to use, which means we can deduce that the vast number of Android phones are simply not being used like they smartphones in the US.

I wonder if the Samsung Galaxy S II mini is included in that figure.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if the Samsung Galaxy S II mini is included in that figure.

You mean in the "other Samsung" category obviously.

• Reply 3 of 84
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You mean in the "other Samsung" category obviously.

No, I mean in the Samsung Galaxy III category. One could argue that the mini is a subset of the Galaxy SIII category of Samsung smartphones. It's not officially on sale in the US but that doesn't mean it's not used in the US. However Chitika parsed their data to find the device type I would guess they wouldn't look for Galaxy AND S AND III NOT mini. If it was simply grabbing a unique idea that is only for that model or the variety of S III models that are sold worldwide then I think it's less likely to be included, but not out of the question.
  • Reply 4 of 84

Quote:

No, I mean in the Samsung Galaxy III category. One could argue that the mini is a subset of the Galaxy SIII category of Samsung smartphones. It's not officially on sale in the US but that doesn't mean it's not used in the US. However Chitika parsed their data to find the device type I would guess they wouldn't look for Galaxy AND S AND III NOT mini. If it was simply grabbing a unique idea that is only for that model or the variety of S III models that are sold worldwide then I think it's less likely to be included, but not out of the question.

Since it doesn't have anywhere near the same specs as the S3, and Chitika can tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and other iPhones I don't know why it would be any different for Samsung. 

• Reply 5 of 84
    What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.
  • Reply 6 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.

Other than the T-Mobile Black Friday promo I don't recall any "free" (with contract) S3's. I don't even find a reference to any "Buy an S3 get another S3 free". I see the Shack had a free S2 when buying an S3 back at the holidays. So far the carrier's haven't had to resort to BOGOS to move S3's. This is the first and only smartphone that Samsung has been able to successfully position alongside Apple. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple BOGO's pop up in the next month or so with with the S4 rumored to be on the way. 

EDIT: Just found that Sprint did a BOGO deal on the S3 at Christmas. 

• Reply 7 of 84
    In light of this data, I don't understand the other articles I've seen on this site showing Android at a significantly lower share of web usage than iOS.
  • Reply 8 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

In light of this data, I don't understand the other articles I've seen on this site showing Android at a significantly lower share of web usage than iOS.

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

• Reply 8 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think it's possible that the mini would get lumped into the pool of SIII devices but they would be in extremely small numbers. Someone would have to import the mini, and if you're looking at a budget phone like the mini you're not likely to want to pay full retail plus international shipping.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

Ah that makes sense. In that case Android phone usage would have to far outweigh iPhone usage if Samsung alone has that much volume.
  • Reply 11 of 84

As clearly explained, This one device (or devices with the Galaxy S III designation) do not make up all of Android-based devices. The S III is a high-end smartphone just as all iPhones are high-end smartphones. What this shows is that Android-based phones are mostly not used as smartphones as indicated by the numbers of low usage stats compared to the impressive and unverifiable numbers given to us by Google execs in tweets.
  • Reply 12 of 84

Quote:

As clearly explained, This one device (or devices with the Galaxy S III designation) do not make up all of Android-based devices. The S III is a high-end smartphone just as all iPhones are high-end smartphones. What this shows is that Android-based phones are mostly not used as smartphones as indicated by the numbers of low usage stats compared to the impressive and unverifiable numbers given to us by Google execs in tweets.

See post 9 for another explanation Soli. Take the time to check for yourself rather than believe me.

• Reply 13 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    isteelers wrote: »

The only BOGO I've seen for SGS 3 didn't include a second SGS 3 but a lesser model.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    I think it's possible that the mini would get lumped into the pool of SIII devices but they would be in extremely small numbers. Someone would have to import the mini, and if you're looking at a budget phone like the mini you're not likely to want to pay full retail plus international shipping.

Absolutely. In no way was I suggesting the values listed are wrong if they had included it as the numbers would clearly be extremely low. My query was more or less questioning how fastidious Chitika is with their statistics. I would have noted that the S III mini was not included in the results… but that's me.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    See post 9 for another explanation Soli. Take the time to check for yourself rather than believe me.

I am not going to look it up. The numbers for the world and prior to the iPad's release tell a different story. There is no doubt that the IPad with the much bigger display that is much better for browsing the web will get used more for browsing the web but there is also no doubt that the average Android-based phones do not get used as much as the average iPhone according to web stats.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

It's Chitika, the major ad network wannabe.

Their self-advertisement report is all about who sees their ads.

So what they're probably doing here, is fishing for more advertisers  image

- Chitika: "Wanna contract with us to reach Android users?"

Advertiser: "I thought your charts showed they never saw your ads?"

Chitika: "No, no, that's because we mixed in tablets.  Wait, we'll post a different kind of report!"

Nothing like bragging rights as to who sees the most Chitika ads.

• Reply 18 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.

He's got a good point Soli. You know that leftover 38% isn't all made up of Windows and BB smartphones with their tiny share of the smartphone market. You don't even have to look that one up. Common sense says a big part, if not the majority, would be Android from others besides Samsung. 

• Reply 19 of 84
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wonder how they count it if a user has a great app available, and uses that to access their favorite web service/resource instead of using a browser? Does app availability (apps good enough to bother with) reduce "web usage" the way they measure it? (It certainly reduces data transferred.)
  • Reply 20 of 84
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Slightly off topic. I was in the process of updating my 2 handsets to iPhone 5s and was asked by the telco guy in India whether I would consider a Samsung S3. I replied that I considered this an insult (in jest of course), we both had a laugh. I guess he looked over my history and realised that all my phones were iPhones, and quickly made his apologies.
    I guess some people have high standards.
    I can afford expensive clothes and drive a Mercedes, why should I even consider plastic fantastic garbage in the way of phones?
    I am so grateful that there are companies like Apple out there who believe in quality, just like me.