replacing IDE CDRW - Firewire Enclosure

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anybody know if the CDRW-IDE drive in QPS Firewire drives can be replaced?

Is the enclosure just a Firewire to IDE Bridge? (The cables themselves are standard IDE and power cables). Or is there some proprietary technology that would only let the current drive work in it?

I've seen some CHEAP 40x CDRW-IDE drives (about $55 - with burn-proof), and I was thinking about swapping out my 8x for one...

Any Thoughts?

My current 8x drive is a Plextor.

Blizaine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I replaced my 12x burner with a 24x burner about a year ago. Same QPS enclosure. No hitches.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    did you use the same kind of drive?

mine's a Plextor... I guess I would be safe upgrading my 8x to a 40x plextor... I just found one for $99.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I was just upgrading the hard disk in my iMac and as an experiment i took the CD-RW out of my external firewire burner and hooked up the IDE HD.. it worked perfectly.

From that, i would guess that just about any CD drive will work too.

(BTW - my burner is not a QPS, but i think in principle they are the same)

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 5
    altivecaltivec Posts: 11member
    The QPS CD-RW Firewire drive without is IDE CD-RW unit is just becoming a IDE to Firewire box, any IDE CD-RW drive that will be support by your burning software (like Toast and apple cd-rw soft) will work perfectly.

Brand that i personaly recommend:

Yamaha

Plextor

Those two are the BEST brand on the market... you can also go with Sanyo and LG
  • Reply 5 of 5
    altivecaltivec Posts: 11member
    Sorry i have forget...

i will strongly recommend to get a burner with Burn-Proof or SafeBurn technology, the will prevent UnderBuffer errors.... if you don't have one of those technology.... keep your 8x Plextor... trust me !