Apple updates processors and drops prices of MacBook Pro with Retina Display [u]

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfox View Post

Wow I did not see this coming. 3 months I've had mine for...

Bit gutting but that's life I guess.

There are no new components *Yet*.  Perhaps people were buying stock configurations and so they weren't pushing their order of the 2.7Ghz processors for example, which were a BTO option.

Intel will release it's new Haswell processors this summer.  That's when something will actually change inside.  You didn't miss anything, just a cheaper price (which is also good)

• Reply 142 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm waiting for a GPU bump before pulling the trigger on a 15" MBPr. My 2010 MBP is still going strong (mostly thanks to the SSD I upgraded it to).

My 2008 MBP is still going strong enough.  I'm waiting for Haswell processors for better battery life.

• Reply 143 of 149
    nht wrote: »
    Both the CPU (3.7 vs 3.2 Ghz) and GPU (1.3 Ghz vs 1.1 Ghz) run a bit faster.

In the previous models (2.9 Ghz i7 vs 2.5 Ghz i5) the CPU was around 13-14% faster and the GPU around 9-13% faster.

Of the two the GPU being around 10% faster is probably more important.

I dunno...I don't feel that 8GB RAM is sufficiently future proof so I'd either go for the 15" MBPr with 16GB RAM or buy the cheapest 13" MBPr model possible and get the $1,499 base model unless I had to have 256GB of SSD.

If you buy and sell your laptop often then any is fine.  If you buy and hold...man, that extra $500 for the base 15" MBPr with 16GB RAM over the $1899 13" MBP i7 is a lot more future proof.
  • Reply 144 of 149
    I really don't like the 15" model. I tried it already and find it to be too big and unwieldy. So I'm definitely getting a 13" model. I want to do photo editing and I have a lot of photos. I also want to be able to run windows. So I'm trying to decide between 2.6 ghz i5 and the 3.0 ghz i7. I can't really afford more than the 3.0 ghz i7 model but wonder if for my needs the 2.6 ghz i5 would be sufficient. Thanks. Sorry if my questions sound dumb. I can see there are a lot of smart people on here and I'm not one of them.
  • Reply 145 of 149
    I really don't like the 15" model. I tried it already and find it to be too big and unwieldy. So I'm definitely getting a 13" model. I want to do photo editing and I have a lot of photos. I also want to be able to run windows. So I'm trying to decide between 2.6 ghz i5 and the 3.0 ghz i7. I can't really afford more than the 3.0 ghz i7 model but wonder if for my needs the 2.6 ghz i5 would be sufficient. Thanks. Sorry if my questions sound dumb. I can see there are a lot of smart people on here and I'm not one of them.
  • Reply 146 of 149

Photo hobbyist here. I use Aperture on a Mac Pro. It came with 6GB of memory and I never needed more. I did install additional RAM but don't really see anything happen 'any faster than before' - in Aperture. The processor doesn't need to be the fastest one, in your case I would get the 13" rMBP with 2.6GHz processor. It's the same price as the $1499 with upgraded Flash storage (to 256GB) and your getting 2.6 instead of 2.5GHz processor. Other specs are the same anyway.

I don't know your storage requirement for your photo's, not your application. I do recommend Aperture over iPhoto, especially now that it's become dirt cheap (I paid $499 for v1). If you have 'lots of photos' chances are they won't fit on the internal storage anyway. Then Aperture makes a lot of sense because you can keep your original (and large) files on an external HDD and have Aperture store previews on the internal SSD. Requiring way less space and you can set the previews to the max size of your display.

If at some point in the future the 8GB RAM won't suffice take a look here for upgrades, or go to Newegg:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

edit: Disclaimer: if you live anywhere near a B&M Apple Store pop in over there for advise as well. I'm just someone on the internet with an opinion and experience with my setup / config / workflow and without knowing all the ins and outs of your workflow a bit difficult to give solid advise.
  • Reply 147 of 149
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmie92592 View Post

A faster processor will reduce the amount of time spent waiting for complex filters to render, but the difference won't be night and day, more like late afternoon to early evening. If you plan on batch processing files with multiple filters the multithreading of the i7 will be beneficial (faster), but otherwise you'll probably never notice the difference over the i5.

The only concern I'd have is editing large images on a small screen. I find that one of the most significant obstacles to productivity (and enjoyment of the process) is dealing with constantly scrolling around the image. If you're trying to create a selection, that sliding around can often cause you to accidentally wreck the selection making it necessary to start all over again. Today's cameras capture really large images, so a small screen is going to mean a lot more zooming in and out and scrolling up/down/left/right. You may accept that as an acceptable compromise to reduce bulk, but be aware of it when making your choice.

Remember that you have some time to return whatever you buy, so if you think you've made the wrong choice you can return it and get the other one.

• Reply 148 of 149

They could always use an external monitor when getting into a serious editing spree, once it's been properly color calibrated.

Macs have sometimes had a considerable breadth of processor speed options; this is currently not the case. The difference between a 2.6 and 2.7 right now is, for overnight video render, probably only cutting half an hour from an 8-hour queue.

• Reply 149 of 149

Tech brain jam tomorrow... 1) having Charter to upgrade the net to Ultra 100, 2) Nexus 10 to be delivered, and 3) rMBP 512/15in on the truck. 

I'm still hanging on to my Dell 17 Studio. I don't know if I'll like the loss in screen size and the number keyboard to the side. One thing I know I'll like is not waiting 7 minutes (or more) to boot. 

BTW, is it possible to load some critical files to iCloud from a Windows machine? I'm thinking of Turbo Tax and the likes.