Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S owners to address battery, 3G issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

I have an iPhone 4 and since the latest 6.1 iOS update my wifi reception has dropped substantially - 2 or even 1 "bars" in places in the home where it was full reception. It drops out repeatedly, stopping podcast downloads.

I have both a router and a range extender and the problem exists regardless which of them the phone is connected to. It also exists if I try to connect to public wifi - completely unusable...

My 3G reception has dropped, with apps frequently timing out on connecting. Cold boots of the phone do not help.

But also, I use bluetooth headphones a lot (Nokia BH505), and the reception for them has plummeted to the point where it continually drops out even when the phone is in my shirt pocket - i.e. just 30cm from the headphones. Before the update, the reception was halfway through the house! The only place the bluetooth headphones work adequately (i.e with the phone 60cm or so away) now is inside the car - presumably the bodywork is concentrating the transmission.

I know it wasn't the headphones causing this because I thought so and took them back for exchange under warranty, and the new ones are exactly the same. Then I realised the wireless was tanking too.

So both wireless reception and bluetooth transmission strength have gone down the toilet following this iOS update.

Is Apple doing anything about this? It seems the communities are chock full of similar complaints and that for many the 6.1.1 patch even made things worse...

Also after the update, I was getting notification badge numbers about app updates being available, but the screen in AppStore app would just stay blank. Apple support came back with nothing of any help so I reset the phone and reinstalled off a backup, which fixed it. But my wife's 3GS has the same problem since she updated the iOS...

• Reply 22 of 34
    Well now my 4s is bleeding battery life. You can almost see it drop and that is in standby. So iOS 6.1.1 has really fixed things.
  • Reply 23 of 34

I updated to 6.1.1 yesterday and now cannot connect to my company's wireless system.  I get 3G but no wireless connection.

I can only assume this is linked to the update.

Has this problem been addressed by Apple and if so what can I do to correct the problem?

• Reply 24 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    abbymac wrote: »
    I updated to 6.1.1 yesterday and now cannot connect to my company's wireless system.  I get 3G but no wireless connection.

I can only assume this is linked to the update.

Has this problem been addressed by Apple and if so what can I do to correct the problem?

Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    My wifi has not letting me use it.it stays off and won't let me slide it on since this update iOS 6.1.1. The sooner apple fixes this the better I use wifi a lot for study so it's a real pain in the ass to put it lightly. Once they fix it its gunna take a lot of hard yakka to catch up.grrrr APPLE!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    raylo wrote: »
    My wifi has not letting me use it.it stays off and won't let me slide it on since this update iOS 6.1.1. The sooner apple fixes this the better I use wifi a lot for study so it's a real pain in the ass to put it lightly. Once they fix it its gunna take a lot of hard yakka to catch up.grrrr APPLE!!!!

REPEAT: Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    solipsismx wrote: »
    REPEAT: Have you tried resetting your network settings? If that doesn't work have you tried backing up and then reseting the device? Often an issue with an update is caused by the update process, not the update itself.

I have tried it all but for some reason the wifi option still won't slide on. I even tried putting the iPhone 4S in the fridge for 1/2hr.lol
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I have tried it all but for some reason the wifi option still won't slide on. I even tried putting the iPhone 4S in the fridge for 1/2hr.lol

You plugged your iPhone into your Mac/PC, did a back up, then did a restore that would re-download iOS, wipe your iPhone, then re-install iOS?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    You plugged your iPhone into your Mac/PC, did a back up, then did a restore that would re-download iOS, wipe your iPhone, then re-install iOS?

Yep it just reinstalled the iOS 6.1.1 again and did the same thing. Unless I'm doing something wrong I would say its the iOS 6.1.1 update that's doing this problem??
  • Reply 30 of 34
    But

But I will try again.it never done it before I updated.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Yep it just reinstalled the iOS 6.1.1 again and did the same thing. Unless I'm doing something wrong I would say its the iOS 6.1.1 update that's doing this problem??

If you've gone through those steps and you don't have Parental Control turned on for WiFi then I say get it to an Apple Store ASAP. Not even allowing you to turn WiFi on or off is a very unique issue for an iOS update so I wouldn't just wait and hope for another update in some future time to resolve it.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    If you've gone through those steps and you don't have Parental Control turned on for WiFi then I say get it to an Apple Store ASAP. Not even allowing you to turn WiFi on or off is a very unique issue for an iOS update so I wouldn't just wait and hope for another update in some future time to resolve it.

I think that's what I'll do.thanks for your help its been good to get the advice.
  • Reply 33 of 34

Thats kinda funny - my battery performance on my i4S IMPROVED after iOS6. Before I might get 40 or so hrs of Standby - now I was getting 50-55 hrs. I wonder if the upgrade will make things worse lol.

• Reply 34 of 34

After installing the same update I am having worst problem with my iPhone 4s,only iTunes  and connection port symbol is showing on my screen and unable to operate my iPhone. Today I have called customer support team in India,they have asked me to restore and download some trouble fixer but also told me that I shall lost all my data with my iPhone. Now I am downloading the same as advised by customer support person named Mr. Nabin. God only knows what will happen next?