Apple's new iPad ad campaign promotes 300,000 apps "for everything you love"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    leeeh2 wrote: »
    @nagromme: my favorite Android app is all of them, that give out my name, location, and email address. /S

Lolz!!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Android won't fail: it's free, so handset makers can use it to save money. I still hold out the same hope I had when Android first stopped imitating Blackberry and started imitating Apple: it's a platform on which someone (not Google) can build their OWN proprietary ecosystem that is excellent and more Apple-like than Google has achieved. It's a huge head start for someone wanting to make a new OS, in other wordss--even if the result is really no part of the Android world at all, and doesn't run the same apps.

Amazon has touched on this a little, and they remain my top candidate for making a really good "non-Android" OS based on Android. That's not what they are doing yet, though--they're too focused on selling their media, not making a whole platform.

Meanwhile Microsoft has surprised me by doing something unique that has potential. So imagine this: someone with good ideas like the ones behind Metro (not perfect, too little too late, sure... but genuinely innovative) turns Android into a whole new OS for some major hardware maker, creating an integrated ecosystem all managed under one roof, Apple-style, without the fragmentation, lack of software updates, or all-around laziness that characterizes too much of the software development by today's handset makers.

Who knows what it could be, but it could be cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

nagromme: You missed a bunch. Just in the music area alone we've got: Animoog, iMS-20, iPolySix, Magellan, Figure, Wolfgang PPG Wavegenerator and Wavemapper, Sunrizer, BeatMaker 2, Auria, Audiobus, Multitrack DAW and a bunch I know I've forgotten.

Cool. I'm not familiar with most of those, but one of them (Figure) I have and (though it's great) I wouldn't count it as an answer to my question if an Android user presented it: it's a great app, but a "small" one.

Small apps ARE awesome, and small iOS exclusives DO matter to making iOS the better choice. I'm glad to know about those apps!

But if any Android users are present on this forum, what I'm curious about is bigger, high-end apps with the highest level of productivity and quality. (I know of two Android candidates myself: Photoshop Touch and maybe Sketchbook, although many iOS apps have surpassed Sketchbook, and I've heard that Sketchbook is dog slow on Android. However, those are not Android-exclusives, iOS has them too, so they don't answer my question.)

(Also, sometimes I feel that music apps--on every platform--can sometimes be burdened by the long history of terrible, dare I say, open-source-style UI design. They may be top-end in power/capability, and an invaluable tool all the same, but some of them fall short of modern touch-centric greatness in terms of ease-of-use and intuitive, workflow. A problem longtime users of desktop music apps wouldn't even notice! But it would keep me from counting some of them among the most excellent example apps. One called SunVox comes to mind: I kind of want to try it for the sheer novelty, but the screenshots look like insanity from my Amiga days times ten! EDIT: Ha! Naturally, SunVox IS available for Android.)

P.S. If you're into music, this one IS on Android, but it's pretty neat! SoundPrism. A whole new musical instrument, essentially, based on music theory in a way that I find interesting. More of a performing tool than a recording tool (maybe the non-free Pro version has that).

• Reply 23 of 44
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Betamax had no titles or market share.

It had no market share for movies and the average user.

However, it was about the only thing used by news/television for portable use. 

As far as apps, Android might not have as many native tablet apps but they do have more overall apps

except it doesn't.

• Reply 24 of 44
    Exactly right. Betamax was "the" standard for broadcast industry for years and years..

What about Blu Ray? They keep saying how great it's doing yet myself I haven't bought one in months -- going from buying two or three a week. Talk about a format that Steve Jobs him very self cut one of its legs off at the start.. It's been pegging along ever since..
    chris_ca wrote: »
    It had no market share for movies and the average user.
    However, it was about the only thing used by news/television for portable use. 

except it doesn't.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Apple, unlike analysts (and probably most phone manufacturers), realises that it's fighting a platform war, rather than being in a competition to see who can ship the most out-of-date devices to Indonesia. Software is what matters. Apple is very strong on this front.

• Reply 26 of 44
    I'd love for Apple to do an iPad/iPhone ad where they use a bunch of monkeys (ala 2001: A Space Odyssey) to represent Damnsung and their fan-droids. They could all have their larger screen phones and pound them on the ground, try to do the "s-bump" and then jump up and down screaming when the devices don't work. Obvoiusly Apple will never run an ad like that because they won't sink to their level and they don't have phone-envy like Shamsung and their ilk. Apple just needs to show the goods.

• Reply 27 of 44

You know, apart from Apple's "insane" focus on fantastic HW and SW...it seems that people almost have to accidentally fall into the Apple "eco-system" by the "halo" effect.

I don't understand why everyone with an iPhone doesn't have an ATV, (like me!) Just the sophisticated slideshows with all your photos on a flat screen TV with nice music accompanying them is worth the price of admission! :)

Also, why doesn't everyone who has an iPhone have an iPad or MBA? This is where Apple should be putting their advertising $'s.

Those vid's that Job's used to show at the Keynotes, with young adults jumping into ponds....and then editing/sharing their vid's is the key! :)

Anyway, what do I know! :)

• Reply 28 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Android won't fail: it's free, so handset makers can use it to save money. I still hold out the same hope I had when Android first stopped imitating Blackberry and started imitating Apple: it's a platform on which someone (not Google) can build their OWN proprietary ecosystem that is excellent and more Apple-like than Google has achieved. It's a huge head start for someone wanting to make a new OS, in other wordss--even if the result is really no part of the Android world at all, and doesn't run the same apps.

Amazon has touched on this a little, and they remain my top candidate for making a really good "non-Android" OS based on Android. That's not what they are doing yet, though--they're too focused on selling their media, not making a whole platform.

Meanwhile Microsoft has surprised me by doing something unique that has potential. So imagine this: someone with good ideas like the ones behind Metro (not perfect, too little too late, sure... but genuinely innovative) turns Android into a whole new OS for some major hardware maker, creating an integrated ecosystem all managed under one roof, Apple-style, without the fragmentation, lack of software updates, or all-around laziness that characterizes too much of the software development by today's handset makers.

Yeah, I don't think Android is going to "fail" in the sense that it'll cease to be relevant. It basically ate Microsoft's Windows Mobile lunch. Sure, the iPhone changed the game, but at the start, Apple had no market share and Microsoft had the most popular mobile OS for handset makers who didn't have their own proprietary smartphone OS. Microsoft was slow to adapt Windows Mobile and ended up watching their handset partners increasingly switch to selling Android phones against the iPhone.

I think it's interesting that Samsung hasn't forked Android. Maybe the terms of the Open Handset Alliance preclude them from selling Android AND Android-forked phones. I recall that Google stopped one of their OHA partners from selling a phone based on some Chinese fork of Android under the terms of the OHA membership.

• Reply 29 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think it's interesting that Samsung hasn't forked Android. Maybe the terms of the Open Handset Alliance preclude them from selling Android AND Android-forked phones. I recall that Google stopped one of their OHA partners from selling a phone based on some Chinese fork of Android under the terms of the OHA membership.

But Samsung does have their inhouse designed OS, which they are rumoured to release this year. 

• Reply 30 of 44
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    And buying a Microsoft RT tablet today would be like buying a Betamax machine in 2013.

Now, if only Apple would goose up the capability of its iWork apps...

True, if exaggerated. I don't see a future for RT, unless they start releasing uber-cheap devices based on RT. Sort of "feature-tablet". Personally, I'd get rid of "desktop" on RT and create (or port) Windows Phone 8 version of Office to RT, locking it completely in Modern UI.

I think MS has started realising errors of their way, thus Windows 8 RT is now only Windows RT. I'm not sure if it is good enough. While it does deserve to be called Windows based on Modern apps that work both on RT and 8, I think it even more does not deserve the name based of it's incapability to run any desktop software. After all, being Windows is being compatible.

However, it is completely different story with Windows 8 Pro tablets. Especially new Atom based ones, which are price-competitive with iPads and Androids, as well as size/weight/battery life wise. And still run pretty much everything; you know, applications that students will actually have use after they finish studies and get a real jobs.

I am very convinced these will do well all around. But we will see.
  • Reply 31 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Good thing to promote: it's the #1 of several deal-breaker reasons I'd never recommend an Android device to most people. (In some cases, I would: the 1 person in 1000 who loves to tinker and troubleshoot and tweak and customize, as if their phone/tablet were a PC, and can accept Android's big disadvantages such as this one. Of course, on tech forums, it's easy to forget how rare those people are! I'm almost one myself... almost. I hacked and re-skinned my clickwheel iPod's UI, but it's a hobby I can live without.)

The thing, though, is that it's not quantity of apps. If Android had fewer apps but BETTER ones, it would still be a huge point in Android's favor. But iOS apps aren't just larger in choice, they're better in quality.

I keep asking, but Android users cannot deliver: give me a list of Android-only killer apps--not little utilities and system customizations (neat though they may be) but real serious productivity apps, like ArtRage, GarageBand, Procreate, Inkpad, Pages, Numbers, iMovie, Keynote, Textastic, iDraw, iTunes U, OmniGraffle, iPhoto, Bento, Omni Outliner, ArtStudio, NanoStudio, Diet Coda, Intaglio, Freeform, TouchUp, iTeleport, ReBirth. All of these are iOS exclusive. (Along with plenty of awesome smaller utilities like Dark Sky, and for a time, Instagram. Late is better than never, of course.)

Where are apps like these that are Android exclusives? Not, "well, here's SOME kind of app for this," but a truly top-level (and tablet-optimized) experience with that same level of power, ease and productivity?

If Android's list of truly excellent, powerful apps is smaller than iOS's then what else matters? A tablet or smartphone is only worth what you can DO with it. (What you can customize about the OS screens that you see when NOT using any app is worth something... but not as much apps.)

(I am now prepared for Android users to ignore my actual question and instead list their favorite little utility or system hack image )

I am not an Android fanatic and generally prefer my iPhones/tablets over my Android phones/tablets (need multiple units for work). Generally speaking, the iOS App Store has a superior menu of exclusive apps. But if you are interested in facts and hype, then it's utterly untrue that there are not any Android-only apps that are useful, productive and/or interesting. I can list many but you'll probably find a definition to dismiss them. I understand that this is an Apple site and, I too am tired of those who recite fabulisms about iOS for the sake of baiting the majority here. But it is just as dishonest to pretend that the only things that matter in this industry are the features that Apple is good at. Just enjoy what you like and stop deluding yourself that everything else sucks. Such an attitude is provincial, closed-minded and belittling of those who hold it. Apple doesn't need you to defend it, particularly not by making stuff up. Find some other causes in life - more deserving causes that are truly in need of your zeal.

• Reply 32 of 44
    xtacee1990 wrote: »
    But Samsung does have their inhouse designed OS, which they are rumoured to release this year. 

Bring it. Google needs competition.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Bring it. Google needs competition.

You misspelled condemnation.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    MacRumors has links to the two TV ads that go with these billboards. I think they're great, if a little on the ADD end of the spectrum. Even so, they sailed over the heads of many MR commenters, no surprise. But one commenter took the trouble to transcribe all the words that flash by on the screen. Pretty wild for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    I noticed not one Android supporter has shown proof on the number of tablet-specific Apps versus the number of ssssssttttttrrrrrreeeetttttccccccchhhhhhhheeeeeeddddddd phone Apps, masquerading as tablet ones.
    I hear the chirping of crickets.
  • Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I noticed not one Android supporter has shown proof on the number of tablet-specific Apps versus the number of ssssssttttttrrrrrreeeetttttccccccchhhhhhhheeeeeeddddddd phone Apps, masquerading as tablet ones.

I hear the chirping of crickets.

Now, how many of those 300.000 will you actually use or buy?

Anyways I would rather go with Win8Pro hybrid.

• Reply 37 of 44
    Naysayer is already out on the new Apple ads.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2013/02/18/whats-wrong-with-apples-tv-ads-lately/

If you don't get the concept, it is not for you. Everyone thinks they know Apple, they don't.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The idea that Android couldn't fail is not entirely correct. There are two profit making hardware brands - Samsung and Apple. If Samsung make a new OS - to be like Apple - and make it backward compatible at the API layer with Android ( which it can do , as the Blackberry did since the source is open) - and make the native apps smoother and faster then that leaves the rest of the Android market with -3% profit.

Unless you think that Android is the brand, not Samsung. Which is partly true, but mostly not.

• Reply 39 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    techboy wrote: »
    Naysayer is already out on the new Apple ads.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2013/02/18/whats-wrong-with-apples-tv-ads-lately/

If you don't get the concept, it is not for you. Everyone thinks they know Apple, they don't.

Anyone who says "that also-a-little-desperate 1984 ad" obviously doesn't have a clue about advertising.
  • Reply 40 of 44

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Now, how many of those 300.000 will you actually use or buy?

A fraction meaningful for a single person.

The point is, we actually have them.