Burglar breaks $100K custom glass door with rocks at Boulder Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The damage caused to the glass door in the burglary of a Boulder, Colo., Apple Store was more costly than the goods that were actually stolen.

Three rocks were thrown through the custom-made glass door, which cost nearly $100,000, according to Denver's ABC 7 News. By breaking the glass door, the hooded burglar was able to get away with nearly $64,000 in merchandise, making the damage caused even more costly than the theft.

Boulder
Apple's Boulder store after the recent break-in. Photo courtesy of AppleInsider reader Neal Rogers.

Among the items stolen from the Boulder location were MacBooks, iPads and iPhones. Some of the MacBook Pros stolen are priced at over $2,000.

It's expected that the goods will be sold on the black market, but if Apple can track down the stolen products, Colorado law gives the original owner the right to take back the products, even if the owner did not know the goods were stolen at the time of purchase.

"Smash and grabs" at Apple's retail stores have become something of a trend in recent years, as thieves target the locations for their popular products. In one of the more extreme cases, a burglar crashed into the glass front of a California Apple Store with a BMW X5, causing $600,000 in damage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Cue up all the corny "how many of (insert the name of the competitor you have the most disdain for) products get stolen?"
  • Reply 2 of 82
    You would think for $100,000 they could have at least made it bullet proof. I wonder if this was a case of someone going, "ooooh, Apple let's jack up the price a little".

I'm not into glass door manufacturing, but even if the manufacturer had four guys worked on the custom door for two straight months, I don't see the fair price being $100,000.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    And the iPhone? Gorilla glass. Because Apple likes to throw stones.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple is now working on developing transparent steel. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 82
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

I wonder if Apple has some sort of tracking for the display models. Something more than just "find my phone". It would make sense so they could track the stolen property. Something like lojack for the notebooks and desktops.

That was one expensive breakin....

• Reply 6 of 82
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    $100k for something this large and thick isn't out of the question but Apple should ask why a couple rocks broke it. It's easy to add layers of lexan to make it a lot harder to break. Apple needs to find a different supplier. Their insurance would probably go down with better glass as well.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    I thought it was transparent aluminium they were working on.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    bondr006 wrote: »

Pardon me, but did you just say aluminium?
  • Reply 9 of 82
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondr006 View Post

http://rense.com/general20/transparentalum.htm

:)

• Reply 10 of 82
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yes.  All people who speak proper english spell it aluminium.  Only Americans get mislead by craze idiots...

:P :P :P

• Reply 11 of 82
    65c816 wrote: »
    bondr006 wrote: »
    http://rense.com/general20/transparentalum.htm

:)

LOL: "Slashdot (News for Nerds)"
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yes.  All people who speak proper english spell it aluminium.  Only Americans get mislead by craze idiots...

Tongue in cheek humor; it was a discussion on a recent thread, hence my posting.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    ahl-u-min-EE-umm to the fans of Top Gear...
  • Reply 13 of 82
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Since aluminum wasn't discovered by an Englishman it doesn't really matter does it.
  • Reply 14 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Yes and Steve Jobs, another American mislead by crazed idiots, chuckled every time the 'proper' pronunciation of aluminium was done by Jony Ives.

Apple needs to get away from glass and work on "Force Field" doors! image

• Reply 15 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You mean 

al-u-mini-um ?

• Reply 16 of 82

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Since aluminum wasn't discovered by an Englishman it doesn't really matter does it.

It matters in the sense that both are correct.

• Reply 17 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Yes and Steve Jobs, another American mislead by crazed idiots, chuckled every time the 'proper' pronunciation of aluminium was done by Jony Ives.

Apple needs to get away from glass and work on "Force Field" doors! image

Maybe Jobs was the one doing the misleading?  :P

A $100k glass door sounds like a prime example of form over function.

• Reply 18 of 82
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    A
    rob53 wrote: »

It matters in the sense that both are correct.

It was also named by a very indecisive Englishman.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

1. The word is misled, not "mislead."

2. Here's Solipsism X's citaion from another thread, source unspecified:

aluminum (n.)
    1812, coined by English chemist Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829), from alumina, name given 18c. to aluminum oxide, from Latin alumen "alum". Davy originally called it alumium (1808), then amended this to aluminum, which remains the U.S. word, but British editors in 1812 further amended it to aluminium, the modern preferred British form, to better harmonize with other metallic element names (sodium, potassium, etc.).

First recorded usage of the British spelling: Aluminium, for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound. ["Quarterly Review," 1812]

It ain't about proper English. It's about some overreaching journal editors deciding what spelling and pronounciation would be more harmonious with other metals.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Sure it does.  Regardless of who discovered it, it's spelled "Aluminium" and pronounced the same way.  

It's not the same as words like "colour" or "organise" which are fairly generic and have been in existence so long they've had time to find alternate spellings.  "Aluminium" is a fairly recent word that has never been spelled any other way in any official capacity.  Therefore spelling it incorrectly, (on the basis of simply a poor pronunciation yet) is "more wrong" than most other mis-spellings.  

There are rules to correct pronunciation in English, and scientific words in particular. 

Titanium isn't called (or spelled) "Titanum"  

Magnesium isn't called (or spelled) "Magnesum"

Calcium isn't called (or spelled) "Calcum"

Not pronouncing and spelling Aluminium correctly is an abomination that any science-y, geek-y sort of person should be ashamed of (American or otherwise).