Apple's iPad increasingly in vogue in the world of fashion

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iDevices have for the better part of a decade now been recognized as fashionable digital accessories, but a new report has the iPhone and iPad exerting a growing influence on the world of fashion itself.

iPad Fashion
The app Paper by FiftyThree used on an iPad to sketch a catwalk look. Image via The Telegraph

Fashion industry insiders tell The Telegraph (via Patently Apple) that Apple's hit digital devices are driving the way people consume fashion. In years past, they say, pictures had to look great on a desktop computer, since that was the main screen on which such pictures were viewed.

"Now it's the opposite," says fashion photographer Uzo Oleh, "more people make decisions based on pictures and websites seen from their iPhones or iPads."

Apple's iPad in particular, the fashionistas say, is a driving force behind such developments. Designers use apps such as Paper by FiftyThree in order to sketch. Another app, Fashion GPS, is used by 92 percent of fashion editors, according to the app's developers, in order to manage logistics.

The iPhone and iPad ? and, in a wider sense, competing devices ? are causing considerable shifts within the fashion world. One such shift is the ability for designers and fashion show organizers to directly sell products through apps to the customer. Justin Cooke, chief marketing officer for the app TopShop, says that reality is bringing the future into the now.

"With everything from the nail polish to the music instantly purchasable and shareable," Cooke says, "this really is the future of the fashion show."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    interesting cut and paste error at the top there.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Ok. I am a dimwit. What does the first para have to do with the rest if the story ?

Cheers !
  • Reply 3 of 20
    The damage caused to the glass door in the burglary of a Boulder, Colo., Apple Store was more costly than the goods that were actually stolen.

We know that because that's in a previous article already. No biggie or needed to post in this article as well.
    Fashion industry <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9873634/A-very-fashionable-gadget.html">insiders tell</a> <em>The Telegraph</em> (<a href="http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/02/londons-fashionistas-have-taken-apples-technology-to-heart.html">via</a> <em>Patently Apple</em>) that Apple's hit digital devices are driving the way people consume fashion. In years past, they say, pictures had to look great on a desktop computer, since that was the main screen on which such pictures were viewed.

"Now it's the opposite," says fashion photographer Uzo Oleh, "more people make decisions based on pictures and websites seen from their iPhones or iPads."

Apple's iPad in particular, the fashionistas say, is a driving force behind such developments. Designers use apps such as Paper in order to sketch. Another app, Fashion GPS, is used by 92 percent of fashion editors, according to the app's developers, in order to manage logistics.

The iPhone and iPad ? and, in a wider sense, competing devices ? are causing considerable shifts within the fashion world. One such shift is the ability for designers and fashion show organizers to directly sell products through apps to the customer. Justin Cooke, chief marketing officer for the app TopShop, says that reality is bringing the future into the now.

"With everything from the nail polish to the music instantly purchasable and shareable," Cooke says, "this really is the future of the fashion show."

Paper is indeed an incredible good app because of its simplicity. It's only logical that it has become popular and Apple putting it in the spotlight.

I wonder if you're a skilled programmer and have a great imagination if it is possible to become rich from developing and selling an app. And yes, rich is subjective: would it be feasible to quit your job?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sandman619 wrote: »
    Ok. I am a dimwit. What does the first para have to do with the rest if the story ?

Cheers !

Let's see if we can sort this out.

The first paragraph ends with "a new report has the iPhone and iPad exerting a growing influence on the world of fashion itself." So, as a proper topic sentence would do, it highlights what is to come.

Then, the rest of the story is about the use of the iPad in fashion design.

This one is actually a good example of story construction for a change.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wait. It's a toy! No one creates anything on an iPad! /s
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jragosta wrote: »
    sandman619 wrote: »

Cheers !

Let's see if we can sort this out.

The first paragraph ends with "a new report has the iPhone and iPad exerting a growing influence on the world of fashion itself." So, as a proper topic sentence would do, it highlights what is to come.

Then, the rest of the story is about the use of the iPad in fashion design.

This one is actually a good example of story construction for a change.

They changed the story. Read my earlier post which still has the original first paragraph in it - that's why this thread started out as it did.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »
    They changed the story. Read my earlier post which still has the original first paragraph in it - that's why this thread started out as it did.

Got it.

AI seems to be good at that.

Well, at least it's a break from the MacMall ads.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jragosta wrote: »
    Well, at least it's a break from the MacMall ads.

See, these threads are more informative and humorous than the AI articles LOL
  • Reply 9 of 20

This underscores what was mentioned previously...

If the iPad is a fashionable digital accessory then it should be easy to see how an iWatch will be recognized.

• Reply 10 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    We know that because that's in a previous article already. No biggie or needed to post in this article as well.
    Paper is indeed an incredible good app because of its simplicity. It's only logical that it has become popular and Apple putting it in the spotlight.

I wonder if you're a skilled programmer and have a great imagination if it is possible to become rich from developing and selling an app. And yes, rich is subjective: would it be feasible to quit your job?

Is that Paper in the picture with the article? If so is that what you get after paying the 99 cents. I have the free version with ads and it looks nothing like that.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Is that Paper in the picture with the article? If so is that what you get after paying the 99 cents. I have the free version with ads and it looks nothing like that.

It is. The free version is merely to entice people to buy pencils and all that, which is more or less a requirement to make it a useable app. But to test drive a free version is always welcome.

[VIDEO]http://vimeo.com/fiftythree/hellopaper[/VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It is. The free version is merely to entice people to buy pencils and all that, which is more or less a requirement to make it a useable app. But to test drive a free version is always welcome.

[VIDEO]http://vimeo.com/fiftythree/hellopaper[/VIDEO]

Thanks so much for link, I am sold :) . The free demo didn't come close to letting me see the potential!

Gotta love the woman Catherine Young bitching $7 is a too much to pay for this app on the iTunes preview web site. I guess less than the cost a glass of wine is too much for all the work the prorammers put into this amazing app to her! :no:

Talking of amazing new applications with free demos ... I just got Guitar Midi for the Mac (also for iPad) and it is the most impressive software I have seen in years. It simply runs in background when using GarageBand or Logic and allows a standard electric guitar plugged into the Mac (with an A/D adapter of course) to have full polyphonic control over all midi instruments. Hardly any latency either. This is a company Apple should buy and integrate this into the likes of GarageBand! Free trial version here: http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Talking of amazing new applications with free demos ... I just got Guitar Midi for the Mac (also for iPad) and it is the most impressive software I have seen in years. It simply runs in background when using GarageBand or Logic and allows a standard electric guitar plugged into the Mac (with an A/D adapter of course) to have full polyphonic control over all midi instruments. Hardly any latency either. This is a company Apple should buy and integrate this into the likes of GarageBand! Free trial version here: http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

Seeing an app like that I wish I played an instrument! Darn, even without seeing an app like that.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Apple should acquire 53.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I bet it would get used a lot more for creating graphics if Apple would provide a proper iOS level interface for pen and stylus use. Using a finger is great for almost tasks on an iPad, except drawing.

Integrated stylus support would be far more useful than adding more functionality to Siri. You can't always talk to your iOS device.

• Reply 16 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Ah but only if the iPad had a stylus. image

• Reply 17 of 20
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wait. It's a toy! No one creates anything on an iPad! /s

It's as much of a toy to people as someone buys any nice computing product.  Ultimately, people like playing with toys, they are just really nice toys.  Some people think that expensive cars like a Ferrari is a toy.  Yeah, some toy.

• Reply 18 of 20
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah but only if the iPad had a stylus. image

You can always buy one and have a choice as to which one you buy.

• Reply 19 of 20
    It would be interesting to see how often people do purchases based on what the see on their Samsung/OLED screen. As Timmy Cook has said at the latest investor conference, the colours on those screen are nasty. My friends' Samsung screens look a putrid blue-ish green.

Apple spends a lot of engineering on the colour management and getting it just right. Just some of the things we take completely for granted.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kdmeister wrote: »
    Apple spends a lot of engineering on the colour management and getting it just right. Just some of the things we take completely for granted.

Yep, people call it Apple Tax but are missing the point what Apple undertakes in order to get things just right. In another thread a person from Seoul points this out, but forgets the money invested by Apple to create a MacBook Air or an iPhone. Or anything; they call it obvious design but it's not obviously achievable.