Samsung's Tizen mobile OS could signal new competition for Apple's iOS, Google's Android

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But don't all those units eventually reach the hands of the consumer? Just give them time.

Otherwise we'd hear if millions of unsold phones get sent back to the OEM. ...

They don't typically issue a press release for that.

• Reply 122 of 129
    anonymouse wrote: »

True... but since analysts estimate how many units are sent out... can't they also estimate how many come back?

Just have someone at Samsung's loading dock seeing pallets of phones coming in

:D
  • Reply 123 of 129
    Dwleted
  • Reply 124 of 129
    anonymouse wrote: »

No. But they'd have to write down the inventory just as Rim and HP did. No such write downs have been announced or reported.
  • Reply 125 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Do really think Apple's GUI looks great? It looks functional but not great.

Yes, most of them do iMO. At least, I never get the impression like some kids without feel for or edification in design has tried.:-)
  • Reply 126 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Apparently Tizen is going to be used as Sammy's feature phone OS rather than for smartphones at least for the near future. I missed noticing they had announced a new line a few days ago targeting Nokia's entry level "dumbphones" for emerging markets. The Samsung Rex model will includes 4 different handsets according to the press release.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2013/02/14/Samsung-Introduces-the-New-REX-Series-Smart-Feature-Phones

• Reply 127 of 129
    yabdyabd Posts: 1member
    There is no more room for another mobile os, just take a look to windows phone, webos and blackberry. ios and android have the market. I think Samsung have to focus in how to incorporate better android and include windows in their line and lastly how to resuscitate WebOS.
  • Reply 128 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    yabd wrote: »
    There is no more room for another mobile os, just take a look to windows phone, webos and blackberry. ios and android have the market. I think Samsung have to focus in how to incorporate better android and include windows in their line and lastly how to resuscitate WebOS.

I would say you're correct when it comes to smartphone OSes, but Tizen is targeting the feature phone market. They do have to contend with Android in this area, which have pretty much usurped Symbian but I think it's possible.

Plus, it's a smart move that Samsung invest in an alternate plan. Look at the PC market. Dell, HP, Sony, et al. are still relying on Windows and because they didn't plan for this eventuality decades ago there is very little they can do now except continue down the Windows path.
  • Reply 129 of 129
    yabd wrote: »

Not so sure about that. Just imagine Samsung to switch over completely. I don't feel most android users are tighed into the os' ecosystem as iOS users. If in addition there would be a backward compatibility wrt. Purchased content they would quickly have significant market share.