Rumors of Google retail store resurface, but no launch date in sight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A rumor that Google is investigating opening physical retail outlets to compete with the Apple Store has resurfaced, though sources say the internet giant may not move forward with the initiative until 2014.

Apple Store TM
Apple's trademarked Apple Store layout. | Source: USPTO

Citing people familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal on Monday reported that the internet search giant is developing plans to build brick-and-mortar outlets at which a variety of Google-branded products like the Nexus 7 will likely be sold. Also thought to be carried at the rumored stores are devices running the Android and Chrome operating systems.

While the study of Apple's retail business continues, Google's own stores may not open their doors until next year, one source said. These people also noted that the move into retail has been discussed for some time as devices running the company's Android mobile operating system become more dominant worldwide.

The Mountain View, Calif., company is not alone in trying to replicate the Apple Store's success, as software giant Microsoft opened its own store in 2009. Although the stores are modeled after the open-space layout of Apple's outlets, the Windows-centric shops have yet to draw the same kind of foot traffic. A comparison between the two stores from November found the Apple Store to have sold about five times as many items per hour than the Microsoft Store over Black Friday.

More recently, Apple was awarded a trademark for the Apple Store's design and layout, covering the distinctive all-glass storefront and facade, interior recessed lighting, Genius Bar and rectangular tables, among other design cues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    And why would an Internet search giant need a retail store? /facepalm
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Here's an artist's rendition of what the new Google store will look like:

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/20803/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

The version of this story I read several days ago said Google realizes that the best way to sell Google Glass is to give potential buyers a "hands-on" opportunity. They don't think they can be as successful marketing them unless folks can try them out in person with properly trained salespeople to assist. One of the articles also said they want to provide on-site training and troubleshooting with new and upcoming Google products.

Great artists and all....

• Reply 4 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    To gain access to the store, customers hand over their purse and wallets and allow Google "security" to peruse the contents.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ortort Posts: 39member
    They are going to sell everyone's personal information there.

Buy your neighbors last 25 searches for $14.99.
  • Reply 6 of 35

Advertisers will have to walk down the street to a store to get your personal data? That is SO inconvenient. 

• Reply 7 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Everyone copying Apple.  Microsoft with stores and hardware and now the same from Google.  Wonder what Steve is thinking up above. image

• Reply 8 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I wonder if the employees will be wearing blue shirts? I also wonder if there will be a bunch of wooden tables in the store?

I also wonder if it will be dangerous for people to actually step inside the store. Who's to say that you aren't signing your first born away, since you might have consented to that as soon as you agreed to enter through the door? And who's to say that there aren't full body scanners installed in the walls, doing full naked scans of everybody, including peeking into your wallet and retrieving all sorts of info?

• Reply 9 of 35
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Everyone copying Apple.  Microsoft with stores and hardware and now the same from Google.  Wonder what Steve is thinking up above. image

Just a guess:

"If they use any glass in their storefront, lets go thermonuclear and sue them!  How dare they copy my invention!"

• Reply 10 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The version of this story I read several days ago said Google realizes that the best way to sell Google Glass is to give potential buyers a "hands-on" opportunity. They don't think they can be as successful marketing them unless folks can try them out in person with properly trained salespeople to assist. 

Google Glass will be Google's biggest failure yet. DOA.

• Reply 11 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And why would an Internet search giant need a retail store? /facepalm

To sell T-shirts, and mobile devices and laptops with Android and Chromebook on it.  It's more of a way to get attention.  I'm sure they will pack the places when they are opened up because they will just carry a lot of brands. But, I'm sure it will have the typical attention getting stuff to attract the little children.  If Google starts selling their own labeled products in a store vs resellers, they'll retain higher margins.  The only problem is that Google doesn't have a big product line to sell.  1-7 inch tablet, 1-10 inch tablet, 1-4.7 inch smartphone and a laptop is not a lot of products to have in a fairly large store.  They would have to offer other brands at fairly low margins.  I think it might be somewhat successful from a foot traffic sense, but I don't know if it's going to help them from a margins point of view other than they'll sell other brands of products and they will be competing with cell phone stores and places like Best Buy.  What Apple does is they allow their resellers to actually discount the products to some degree whereas Apple Stores don't typically discount, unless it's a specific Back to School or Black Friday promotion or the product is being sold to someone that qualifies for a student or employee discount of some sort.

I'm sure they would sell a lot of t-shirts and logowear products.

I actually think Apple should have Apple logowear products like T-shirts, coffee mugs, pens, baseball caps, etc, etc. to sell at their Apple locations. They could probably increase their revenue and profits even more by doing it since logowear products are pretty straight forward and they can have fairly high markup.  At least that's what I would do at their locations.  I think they do sell that type of stuff at the HQ Apple Store, but not in general.  Maybe they are doing some sort of test marketing.  Who knows.

• Reply 12 of 35
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Way to go Larry - he a walkn talkn innovatah.

sheesh

• Reply 13 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drblank wrote: »
    To sell T-shirts, and mobile devices and laptops with Android and Chromebook on it.  It's more of a way to get attention.  I'm sure they will pack the places when they are opened up because they will just carry a lot of brands. ...

I actually think Apple should have Apple logowear products like T-shirts, coffee mugs, pens, baseball caps, etc, etc. to sell at their Apple locations. They could probably increase their revenue and profits even more by doing it since logowear products are pretty straight forward and they can have fairly high markup.  At least that's what I would do at their locations.  I think they do sell that type of stuff at the HQ Apple Store, but not in general.  Maybe they are doing some sort of test marketing.  Who knows.

So u want google to be another BestBuy? How's that working for them?

Apple does sell Apple stuff at HQ. but that's why visiting Cupertino is special. It's the Mecca for Apple fans. Besides, all those trinkets don't make that much profit and use valuable store real estate.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Last time I checked, Apple did not invent the store front. I think its a fab idea, gives people access to all the available tech. Now you can go to an Apple,Google and MS store. See what is out there and make an informed decision.

As for all you sound bite regugitators... when last did you read your EULA on your shinny toys?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Might work out for them - I'd be in for a Schmidt punch bag or Larry Page dartboard .....

• Reply 16 of 35
    Dumbest ass idea sine the fusion of a scalpel and a spoon.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    stourque wrote: »
    Here's an artist's rendition of what the new Google store will look like:

Here's an artist's renditin of what teh new Google store will sell:

• Reply 18 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Well, why not copy a wildly successful business model? Apple leads, the rest follow. It's a fact of life in the tech universe. Everybody sits back, laughs at and criticizes the new Apple product or business model. Jerk pundits predict doom and epic fail (see pundits lambasting the rumored smart watch), the troll armies mass and attack, but Apple succeeds and suddenly the other faux innovators turn on their copy machines. It has been this way for over a decade now.

So let Microsoft and Google build their frick'n stores that look just like Apple's. Customers know the difference. They know they are walking into a copycat store and  looking at copycat products. They're not stupid. They know who did it first. The utter failure of current Microsoft stores just proves the point.

• Reply 19 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Does Mr. Heisenberg know of Google cutting into his business?  Seriously Google Glass sounds like a street name for meth out in Victorville. 

• Reply 20 of 35
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    So you can be bombarded by ads 24/7, wonderful