Bringing Retina display to iPad mini could add 30% to total parts cost

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Also, it depends what he means by "better displays". A 16:9 display for a tablet is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. They're horrible. I don't care if they were 4k displays, 16:9 is not good for a tablet, and is really awkward to use in portrait. iPads are meant to be used however you want to, either landscape or portrait.

I agree. I much prefer the proportions of a 4:3 screen.

• Reply 22 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

So this report is assuming that Apple will put in a battery-draining Retina screen and keep the same size battery? That makes no sense.

• Reply 23 of 40
    "Digitimes"

Nuff said.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Has anyone stopped to consider that iPad Minis high price might be the result of Apple looking ahead and trying to set a price to cover retina when it comes out?    In otherwords Apple has already set a price to cover retina without a price change when it is actually released.    

I think that's extremely likely but it could be they planned on the Retina for 2013 and figured out that price would be $70 more than the current iPad mini thus making it debut at $399 instead of the odd $329.

As you know, it's not just about the Retina display but the GPU, memory bandwidth, etc., as well as also making sure the weight, thickness and battery still within the Retina mini's usable parameters which I believe is a much smaller window for such a small device.

Plus, if the price difference was less than $70 the difference might not be enough to warrant even having an undated non-Retina Mini and the old Mini can reach much closer to $200 if they keep it on.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    If Google can release retina level panels in their 199 Nexus 7 tablets, and Amazon can so the same in their 249 Fire HD tablets, I'm not understanding why Apple can't do likewise in their 329 iPad mini. Sorry but the math isn't adding up.
  • Reply 26 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If Google can release retina level panels in their 199 Nexus 7 tablets, and Amazon can so the same in their 249 Fire HD tablets, I'm not understanding why Apple can't do likewise in their 329 iPad mini. Sorry but the math isn't adding up.

The math adds up when one listens to the quarterly earnings report. Apple reports a profit.......and a nice, FAT one, at that.

• Reply 27 of 40
    The math adds up when one listens to the quarterly earnings report. Apple reports a profit.......and a nice, FAT one, at that.

Or when you consider the performance of the device and how many more pixels the 7.9" 4:3 display has over a 7" 16:9 display with the same PPI. The problem is that Cash907 didn't actually do any math to reach his conclusion and when there is math presented he discounts it because he can't understand it.
  • Reply 28 of 40

Now we see why they made the iPad mini $329... Here's why...

1) Drop the price of the entry level iPad mini to $299

2) Introduce the iPad mini with Retina at $399

3) Redesign the iPad to be thinner and lighter at $499

Apple could also continue to drop the price of the entry model to attack low-end tablets, while maintaining an easy upgrade price.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Can AppleInsider writers do basic arithmetic?

$12/$188 = 0.064, i.e. $18 is a 6.4% increase in the BOM not 30%.

As the piece also asserts, increased production volume is likely to have reduced the BOM anyway. Ergo: don't expect any price increases for iPad Mini 2.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Igzo will take care of that.
    Isn't the igzo display thin, retina+, and power efficient?
    That means apple might not have to add bigger batteries.The resolution will be even higher, and the screen might actually be thinner.

Also, the basic manufacturing cost is the same as the LCD. It will be up to Sharp when they will be ready to ship such display.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Here's what I think.
    iPad mini $299
    iPad mini with retina $329
    iPad 5 same price as the current iPad 4 and the iPad 4 will decrease.

I'm also guessing that they will be discontinuing the old iPad(haven't they?) and iPad 2.They are pushing the lightning connector as fast as they can.

iPad 3 is out so.......

iPhone 4S with the same 3.5 screen but lighter and have lightning???
  • Reply 32 of 40
    iforgot wrote: »
    Igzo will take care of that.
    Isn't the igzo display thin, retina+, and power efficient?
    That means apple might not have to add bigger batteries.The resolution will be even higher, and the screen might actually be thinner.

Also, the basic manufacturing cost is the same as the LCD. It will be up to Sharp when they will be ready to ship such display.

The display is only one aspect of increased power use for a Retina display.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So what? Apple obviously is going to eat the cost, no way it's going to increase the price of the mini. As for keeping the current resolution model.. I really doubt it. Would be way too may SKUs, and right now the iPad mini is the 'ugly ducking' in screen quality of ALL their devices. I'm sure Apple is looking forward to upgrading the screen, so they can be fine optimizing everything for retina. I can't see how it would be acceptable to continue selling such a low dpi device in the future. 

• Reply 34 of 40

Bring it on... I don't care if it's 500€, I will buy...

Nota: I hate it, Retina or not, but my lovely lady wants one. Her wishes are my command ;)

• Reply 35 of 40

iPad mini is fine the way it is now, we have been obsessed with screen resolution on tablets for a while now...you'll reach a point where the function, battery life and ease of use is more important than a few more pixels. If Apple is going to up the price on mini it better have something more than just retina, just saying. Otherwise, they will shoot themselves in the foot.

• Reply 36 of 40
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    who thinks that the ipad mini price of 330 is odd?... meaning they priced it at that level because they knew that there would be a retina ipad mini in the future so they(apple) priced it at the retina ipad mini level.
    or should the ipad mini have been priced at 250?... because 330 minus 30% is (330 / 1.30) is 253.48...

TL;DR... they will release an Ipad mini with a retina display and it will be 330...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    They'll release a retina iPad Mini with the current price and decrease the original to where it is supposed to be which is below $300
  • Reply 38 of 40

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Seriously, how is it you're posting here on AI, but apparently don't read tech news?

Google and Amazon are perfectly willing to sell at breakeven, or even at a loss.  With Google, you are buying their product so they can sell you (in essence, don't get pedantic).  Every unit they sell is increasing their inventory (their user base), so their profit maximization point is right around or just below breakeven. Amazon is similar, but they're selling a device that gives their customers easier access to their products.  Their profit doesn't come from the device, but from the increase product sales they make through Amazon.com, so it makes perfect sense that they too are willing to sell at a slight loss.

Amazon also gains value from the fact that they are monitoring Every Single Page you visit across the web when using their device.  That's incredibly valuable data, and another reason why I would never use a Kindle-based device.

This doesn't even consider the difference in build-quality, but the above is enough to understand the price differences.

• Reply 39 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Retina is my buy trigger.

• Reply 40 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Which is precisely why it won't happen in 2013.

The iPad mini is supposed to be an upsell from budget android tablets.

Adding a retina display to the mini at this point will remove the distinguishing feature that makes people pay more for a full-sized iPad.

As someone who uses a tablet primarily as a reader, I totally disagree.  The full-sized iPad is a bit large to curl up with in bed, while the mini is the perfect size to hold for hours of reading.  Some people will undoubtedly buy a Retina Mini because they don't want to spend extra money on a full-sized iPad, but many others will buy a Retina Mini because it's simply the right size for their needs.  

Some of the comments here make me wonder if the commenters have actually compared the display on a Mini to that of Retina iPad in person, because there is simply no comparison.  The Retina display looks like the future, while the Mini's display looks like 2001.  

My 1st gen Nook Color has a slightly higher PPI than the iPad Mini, so there's little incentive to upgrade.  Slap a Retina display on the Mini, and I'm there, even at a higher price.    A Retina display will set the mini apart from similarly sized tablets, and it will be hard for other makers to copy it well given Apple's expertise in packaging thin displays and components together.  In fact the Mini is a very odd product for Apple.  What other iDevices lack Retina displays?  The iPod Classic.  Not very impressive company for the Mini. 

I'd like to see:

iPad Mini, $329

iPad Retina Mini, $399

Both with a base of 32GB memory since Apple's NAND costs only keep falling.