HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
HTC on Tuesday took the wraps off its latest "One" smartphone, sporting a 4.7-inch high-definition display with 468 pixels per inch, powered by a 1.7-gigahertz quad-core Snapdragon processor, all encased in an iPhone-like aluminum shell.

HTC

The Snapdragon 600 processor in the HTC One features 2 gigabytes of RAM, and it is one of the first handsets to feature the new CPU. It's encased in unibody machined aluminum with a Gorilla Glass 2 covered display.

The HTC One measures 0.37 inches thick and weighs 143 grams. It also includes either 32 or 64 gigabytes of storage, maxing out at a number equal to Apple's most spacious iPhone 5 model. Like the iPhone, and unlike many competing Android devices, the HTC One lacks an SD card slot for expansion.

On the software side, the HTC One runs Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Laid atop the operating system is HTC's Sense 5 user interface, which boats the company's new "BlinkFeed" live stream.

"HTC BlinkFeed is a bold new experience that transforms the home screen into a single live stream of personally relevant information such as social updates, entertainment and lifestyle updates, news and photos with immersive images so that people no longer need to go to separate applications to find out what's happening," the company said in a press release.

The new flagship smartphone from HTC also features what the company has dubbed as an "UltraPixel Camera. The camera offers just 4-megapixel photos, but HTC said it doesn't want consumers to buy into the "myth of the megapixel."

HTC

Instead, HTC says the new One captures 300 percent more light than current competing smartphone sensors, offering "astounding low-light performance."

A unique feature of the HTC One is what the company has branded as "BoomSound." The smartphone boasts forward-facing stereo speakers complete with a dedicated amplifier and Beats Audio integration.

In the U.S., the HTC One will be available on major carriers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile beginning in March, leaving Verizon out of the mix. HTC said the One will be available globally through more than 185 mobile operators and major retailers in more than 80 regions and countries.

"People today immerse themselves in a constant stream of updates, news and information," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "Although smartphones are one of the main ways we stay in touch with the people and information we care about, conventional designs have failed to keep pace with how people are actually using them. A new, exciting approach to the smartphone is needed and with the new HTC One, we have re-imagined the mobile experience from the ground up to reflect this new reality."

The HTC One has seen a number of leaks in recent weeks, revealing the device before Tuesday's official unveiling. Those leaks revealed that the device took a number of design cues from Apple's iPhone 5, including chamfered edges and a black anodized aluminum frame.

Those initial suspicions were confirmed on Tuesday by Engadget, which said in its first hands-on with the HTC One that its "polished edges remind us of the iPhone 5." Author Myriam Joire also compared the design of the HTC One to the recently unveiled BlackBerry 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 232
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Wow. Looks beautiful. Can't wait for Apple to offer a big screen phone once it's ready in 2016.
  • Reply 2 of 232
    Those polished edges look really familiar....
  • Reply 3 of 232

htc is so stupid... They already had a better phone than the galaxy s3 (a much better phone). Hell, most OEMs have better phones than the s3... It's all about marketing and the fact that stupid people prefer the s3.

• Reply 4 of 232
    But it still runs Android....

And quite honestly, is it really necessary to have a quad-core CPU in a phone? Seems like a battery eater to me. Even if Apple puts one in the next iPhone I won't oooo and ahhh over the stupid CPU. The current CPU is more than powerful enough. These guys really need to focus on the experience, not the actual hardware itself. This is what separates Apple from the rest.
  • Reply 5 of 232
    Hey look it's an iPhone! Oh wait. Just a cheap knock off with crap apps.
  • Reply 6 of 232
    Well, maybe it'll take some sales from Samsung, and we know HTC pays Apple for each one sold. Win, win.
  • Reply 7 of 232
    That's a pretty phone. I'm jealous.
  • Reply 8 of 232
    "On the software side, the HTC One runs Google's Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Laid atop the operating system is HTC's Sense 5 user interface, which boats the company's new "BlinkFeed" live stream."

Which is fancy-talk for "it'll run jelly bean forever"
  • Reply 9 of 232
    Well, I'll be dammed. I still won't jump ship, but good for them. This is a really cool phone. The specs are great and it looks like they are paying attention to the things that matter.
  • Reply 9 of 232
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I like it when everyone looks good, so I won't begrudge HTC or BlackBerry for recognizing a trendsetting style. Neither is a blatant copy--a la samsung.
  • Reply 11 of 232
    Looks great, but slightly familiar. Oh, wait. I already have an iPhone 5.

Compared to iPhone: weight 28%; thickness 24%. Pass.
    And... HTC will not state battery life on its website. You figure out why!
  • Reply 12 of 232
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'd take an HTC phone over Samsung phone anyway day- the build quality, not to mention their Android skin, is leagues better. Unfortunately none of that matters, because of HTC's shit marketing, which is why the company is still struggling.
  • Reply 13 of 232
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

No, it doesn't "look just like an iPhone" IMHO. That's unless you think because it's uses some aluminum it's a knockoff. In that case, yeah, it's a dead-on copy.

• Reply 14 of 232
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Looks good. I'd prefer it with stock Android, and not the Sense UI crapped baked on though -- but I'm sure that the enthusiast community will have an answer for that quickly.

I've been with Apple since the iPhone 3GS (I've since bought a 4, 4S, 5, and countless other Apple devices), but I may consider jumping ship for a large screen 1080p Android phone if Apple doesn't answer with their own.

• Reply 15 of 232
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.
  • Reply 16 of 232

It definitely ups the ante.

Apple, are you listening.

• Reply 17 of 232
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.

• 3.5" is perfect! We don't need anything larger because it's overkill; it will be difficult to use and won't fit in our pockets...

• We don't need more than 256MB of RAM; more RAM = more battery used and Apple is all about battery life...

• LTE is overkill and a battery waster 4G is good enough. Who needs LTE on a smartphone anyway...

• Reply 18 of 232
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

And quite honestly, is it really necessary to have a quad-core CPU in a phone? Seems like a battery eater to me.

ARM says it works the other way around actually. More cores = better power efficiency. 

• Reply 19 of 232
    Now with Live Tiles, because we throw everything at the wall to see what sticks without regard for the user experience, even if now copying a marketplace loser.
  • Reply 20 of 232
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Not sure why this is an article here on AI but I will play. HTC phones are hit or miss. Some models seem high quality and well made, others not so much. I had an HTC Evo prior to my iPhone and it was a great phone. Never had any issues with it and was pretty satisfied over all. But some prior HTC models like the HTC Touch Pro was very problematic and I had to replace it 3 times.

I don't really see the logic in HTC leaving out the SD card. That just gives people a reason to choose the SIII and soon the S4 over their phone. Otherwise very nice specs. Verizon already has the HTC Droid DNA which is a similar phone to this so maybe that is why they are passing on this model. I haven't really had a chance to use ICS or JB on Android for an extended period of time, just an hour or so, but from that short time I can say it is miles ahead of the old Android 2 versions. Far faster and fluid, much smoother with no lag. It would be hard to really compare it with iOS 6 without a longer period to test it but I think most fair minded people could at least admit it has closed the gap substantially and addressed most of the complaints about lag at least. It seemed very responsive to me on my friend's HTC Droid DNA. 

As an Apple buyer of over 30 years I will wait and see what Apple has in the pipeline before I make any decision when my upgrade is due in a few months. But it is nice to know there are some nice alternatives. If Apple releases an iPhone with a larger display I will stick with an iPhone and if not I guess it is back to Android.