Apple still pushing to improve iOS Maps Flyover with new hires

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Recent job postings from Apple indicate that the tech giant is still looking to expand its team to address quality issues that sprung up when it switched from Google's mapping system to its own in-house Maps app.

Maps flawed

Monday and Tuesday saw no fewer than seven map-related job listings posted to Apple's corporate site. The listings call for software engineers to be tasked with improving Apple's much-maligned mapping solution. One listing in particular calls for a computer-vision expert, who will take on improving Flyover, Apple's 3D terrain visualization feature.

This is the second sizable Maps-related job posting in as many weeks, indicating that Apple is significantly stepping up its effort to bring its mapping solution up to par with that of market leader Google, whose Maps app Apple abandoned with the introduction of iOS 6. Most recently, Apple put out listings seeking ten software engineers to contribute to iOS Maps, with nine handling assorted programming duties and the tenth assigned to navigation.

In addition to the Flyover posting, Apple's listings today include the call for a "senior software engineer to build highly-optimized vector content for our Maps application," as well as a Geocoder Data Analyst to "work to improve a corner stone of" Apple's mapping program.

Apple's iOS Maps debuted in September of 2012 along with iOS 6. While largely praised for bringing features such as turn-by-turn navigation to Apple's platform at last, the app drew criticism and complaints from a range of users, who found inaccuracies in the location data and faulty rendering of the 3D flyover data.

Apple jumped on the problem almost immediately, issuing an apology to its customers, as well as firing responsible parties. The company then began assembling a team to tackle the issue, and has been occasionally adding staff to that team since.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Let us file this one under, "no shit".
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Who says Apple is improving the Maps app; couldn't there be 7 new vacancies because 7 employees left? Oh yeah, it's a rumor site. Carry on then.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Maps "Flyover" doesn't need to be "improved." This is bad phrasing at best.

"Flyover" works fine it just needs to be expanded beyond the two or three US only cities it is available in. The project is humongous if you think about it, I'm not sure how they will ever get it done even if they have decades to do it.

I mean here it is a year later already and Maps still has pretty much all the errors it originally had. It still has no transit information. It still has very little information about stores, restaurants, etc. It still has only a few cities in "Flyover." No new cities have been announced. No new "partners" have stepped forward to stream information into it.

I think Maps will be remembered as the time Apple bit off far more than it could chew. Other than the continental USA, I don't see how they will ever get the project anywhere even close to completion without hiring massive amounts of extra employees around the globe specifically for this purpose, and we know that isn't likely to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I kind remember years ago reading Google Map team was comprised of only 12 full time engineers. It was a nice feature in the past, Smartphones are making maps much more useful than ever.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Hey Apple, can you afford to hire a $20/hr college student to label the subways on the maps.

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave that end consumers have to play "systems integrator" to display new york subway stops on the map app.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I kind remember years ago reading Google Map team was comprised of only 12 full time engineers. It was a nice feature in the past, Smartphones are making maps much more useful than ever.

That's just the "team" at headquarters.  Google hires tens of thousands of independent contractors around the world to drive around in cars and take the pictures for street view for example. They have hikers and bicyclists doing the same thing.  This is what Apple needs.  

It also needs more than just Yelp integration.  In my city only one in every eight or ten businesses are even marked on the map because that's how many are in Yelp.  Google uses phone book information as well as things like Yelp so while there may not be details on all the businesses, they at least show up on the map with the correct address and phone number.  

Apple has a history of starting some project like this and thinking they can get away with their usual team of five guys, but then failing miserably later because the team cannot reasonably be expanded and they kinda don't want to expand it anyway (iChat, Pages, etc.).  

Apple Maps is just a more high profile failure of the same type so far.  

• Reply 7 of 32
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

You could stop using that image that's been 'repaired' a long time ago.

Maybe just use an image of Kyoto, which still looks like total crap.

• Reply 8 of 32
    Used Apple Maps at the weekend to direct me to a shop in Nottingham. First time I have used Maps as a satnav. It worked brilliantly. I can delete another Google product from my iPhone now. Bye bye Google Maps.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    So [quote name="Gazoobee" url="/t/156062/apple-still-pushing-to-improve-ios-maps-flyover-with-new-hires#post_2280207"]
    That's just the "team" at headquarters.  Google hires tens of thousands of independent contractors around the world to drive around in cars and take the pictures for street view for example. They have hikers and bicyclists doing the same thing.  This is what Apple needs.  

It also needs more than just Yelp integration.  In my city only one in every eight or ten businesses are even marked on the map because that's how many are in Yelp.  Google uses phone book information as well as things like Yelp so while there may not be details on all the businesses, they at least show up on the map with the correct address and phone number.  

Apple has a history of starting some project like this and thinking they can get away with their usual team of five guys, but then failing miserably later because the team cannot reasonably be expanded and they kinda don't want to expand it anyway (iChat, Pages, etc.).  

[/quote

Looks like you know more about Apple is going to do next than Apple themselves.
  • Reply 10 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

... I mean here it is a year later already and Maps still has pretty much all the errors it originally had. ...

Uhm, I know time moves faster on the Internet, but it's still only been about 5 months, not a year, since iOS 6 and the new Maps were released.

• Reply 11 of 32

Quote:

"Flyover" works fine it just needs to be expanded beyond the two or three US only cities it is available in. The project is humongous if you think about it, I'm not sure how they will ever get it done even if they have decades to do it.

I mean here it is a year later already and Maps still has pretty much all the errors it originally had. It still has no transit information. It still has very little information about stores, restaurants, etc. It still has only a few cities in "Flyover." No new cities have been announced. No new "partners" have stepped forward to stream information into it.

I think Maps will be remembered as the time Apple bit off far more than it could chew. Other than the continental USA, I don't see how they will ever get the project anywhere even close to completion without hiring massive amounts of extra employees around the globe specifically for this purpose, and we know that isn't likely to happen.

Actually, there have been improvements -- especially in the latest iOS beta.  Here are 2:

Hover Dam is fixed...

A city with population of 46,000 has good 3D flyover...

I think Apple should do some 3D Flyover promotionals of tourist destinations* then entertain offers from others.

* Rhine Cruise / Danube Cruise

Hawaii

DisneyLand / Disney World

Mecca - Medina

Paris

Lyon France has great 3D Flyover... Paris, none...

• Reply 12 of 32
    gazoobee wrote: »

That would be fine if Google updated their information regularly. In the UK many of the businesses marked on Google maps have long since disappeared to be replaced by new businesses
  • Reply 13 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Google has been working on maps for over ten years. For a first release Apple did fine. Apple's biggest mistake was not going the Google route and calling it a beta.

In the US turn by turn data seems first rate. The largest problem is relying on Yelp for point of interest data because 1) it is often incorrect in many regards, and 2) Yelp is slow on making corrections. If Apple wants to compete against Google, it needs to bring POI data in house and dedicate a team to make daily corrections.
  • Reply 14 of 32

The 1st thing they need to fix it the Maps' App icon.

No one just drives off an overpass onto the highway...

• Reply 15 of 32

Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

No one intelligent just drives off an overpass onto the highway…

There we go.

• Reply 16 of 32

I continue to love the new Maps application (ignoring the data behind it), and continue to think the maps are easier to read.  I love the turn by turn as well.

Flyover for me is a gimmick and I don't really care what they do with it.  I thought the same of Street View.

Where Maps constantly falls down though is search.  It consistently fails to find things that Google Maps locates no problem.  I'm not out in the middle of nowhere either - it fails in the Bay Area.  If they fix that, Google Maps will be deleted from my iPhone.

• Reply 17 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Hey AppleInsider, nice job using an outdated image of flyover that has since been improved, just so that we can troll and bash it further.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

All that being said, creating their maps was still the very best option out of a boat of bad options. Yes, it bit off more than it could chew perhaps- but it had no choice. It couldn't stay chained to Google forever which would ALWAYS cripple the app compared to the Android version- and all the other mapping solutions are shit (ie. bing is much worse than Apple maps). This is a solution that yes, is painful for some in the short-term, but for the long term it was ABSOLUTELY the right choice, and the ONLY choice, for a responsible and ambitious company like Apple. It can now intergrate the app and take it in directions which would have been impossible if someone else controlled it. 

Oh, and it hasn't been out for a year. And yes, it has improved, significantly. 

• Reply 19 of 32
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I noted one error: sent in the correction and a short while later when I repeated the search my correction was in place (and so was The Whitney!)
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Recent job postings from Apple indicate that the tech giant is still looking to expand its team to address quality issues that sprung up when it switched from Google's mapping system to its own in-house Maps app.

Maps flawed

That image is out of date. The dam is now shown perfect.