Apple accounts for 20% of all 2012 US consumer technology sales revenue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">The story isn't about sales share, although sales are of course a factor.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">It's about share of total revenue, which is based on sales and prices together.</span>

Similar to the way that Samsung outsells Apple in smartphones, but Apple has more revenue.

Good point. Makes the story even more significant, I think. Apple is exerting its leverage without undercutting other companies by selling at reduced margins, or at no margins.
  • Reply 22 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't the purchase of a DSLR should be based on the quality of the interface. Heck, I hardly look at the interface: I set it to Manual and turn the right knobs while looking through the viewfinder. It's a tool, and a great picture is made by you, not the camera. 

Good point...I'm going shopping this weekend! :)

• Reply 23 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I should have added point and shoot cameras and low end video cameras to my list. A lot of people don't even carry their digital cameras any more because cell phones are good enough for many purposes.

So, your new smartphone might replace:

iPod

GPS device

digital camera

video camera

portable game console

Anything else?

Not a big item...but I occasionally used to use a digital recorder.

FM radio (I use TuneIn Radio App for NPR. And I listen to a lot of Podcasts, too.)

Thermometer. (Weather App)

Wristwatch.

Alarm clock. (Alarm App)

Compass (not a big deal)

Paper Calendar.

Paper address book.

Phone books.

Road Atlas.

Maps.

Photo Album Binders

Film and Developing.

Wall mounted Clocks.

Stand-a-lone calculator.

Paper Notepads.

Bank Statements/Checkbooks/deposit slips (Chase).

Stand-a-loneBusiness card scanner (CamCard App).

Magazines and Newspapers.

Books.

Recipe books.

Flashlight.

Audio books on CD.

CD's

DVD's

IRS Tax documents

Encyclopedias

Dictionary.

BlockBuster

CircuitCity

CompUSA

Gateway

Dell

Nokia

Sony

Motorola

HP

MS

Google (everything but Search-for now!)

• Reply 24 of 33
    jragosta wrote: »
    Anything else?

Lame, but here goes:

christopher126 has a much more appropriate answer.

philboogie wrote: »
    ...DSLR...
    Good point...I'm going shopping this weekend! :)

Don't forget: lenses matter most, the body not so much. Megapixels least of all, unless you are going into the Murals business.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Apple only sells in a few major CE categories.  <span style="line-height:1.231;">The revenue here includes such things as game hardware, TVs, radios, etc... markets Apple isn't in so far.</span

Which is why I said "leading edge." Ten or twenty years from now it will be obvious that Apple has foresightedly taken personal computing to its logical next level, toward very personal, pocketable and wearable, that is to say, mobile and post-PC. This will devour gaming, radio, maybe even the TV screen on the wall. Jean-Louis Gassé had an interesting thing to say about this very-personal-computer idea the other day.

Anyway, those few major CE categories you mention are exactly where it's at in the future. If we compare it to previous tech revolutions, we're at the stage when Ford enters the auto market with his assembly line production, or when Radio Corporation of America figures out that a network based on entertainment shows could sell radios. Apple's time in the sun has just barely gotten underway, and we could expect a comparable influence over the economy as, say, Ford had in the twenties.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Obviously this means they are done. SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!/s

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

clearly AAPL is doomed. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossistboss View Post

Take that investors!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

And yet, Google, that sells nothing, is over $800 and going. Pure madness.

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."

Markets are mechanisms that (attempt to) sift thru all kinds of quantitative and other forms of data for companies' momentum and trajectory, not current speed or track record. I.e., it's not "well done, Apple," rather "what do I think you're about to do for me?"

Companies' stocks also get overbought and oversold during the struggle between fear and greed.  AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

• Reply 27 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."

Markets are mechanisms that (attempt to) sift thru all kinds of quantitative and other forms of data for companies' momentum and trajectory, not current speed or track record. I.e., it's not "well done, Apple," rather "what do I think you're about to do for me?"

Companies' stocks also get overbought and oversold during the struggle between fear and greed.  AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

Gee, finally someone who can explain how markets operates. If only that someone learns what sarcasm is ;)

• Reply 28 of 33
    Re: "Apple accounted for 19.9 percent of all domestic consumer technology sales, based on revenue, from last year."

And that's with Apple TV still in the "hobby" stage.
    The creaky old TV industry, as a whole, is ripe for innovative disruption.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I wonder what that translates into as profits.
  • Reply 30 of 33

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what that translates into as profits.

Ballparking here… "most".

• Reply 31 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ballparking here… "most".

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 32 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Gee, lookit all the posters who never got the memo:  "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been."...

...AAPL's arguably currently oversold, but until it unveils a new disruptive retail product is like to stay a bit of an under-performer in stock price. 

Apple is constantly skating to where the puck will be! That's why they make so much more money than everyone else.

So now Apple has to come out with a market changing device every year or it's curtains. But everyone else just needs to copy what Apple makes... got it.

• Reply 33 of 33
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Apple is constantly skating to where the puck will be! That's why they make so much more money than everyone else.

So now Apple has to come out with a market changing device every year or it's curtains. But everyone else just needs to copy what Apple makes... got it.

I didn't say APPLE isn't executing a sound business and technology plan or won't succeed at "skating to where the puck is going to be" - as I certainly hope they do.  My point is that many posters (over and over and over on hundreds of threads) keep acting as if the markets are stupid because they're not impressed by what's already happened....  ....but in fact that ISN'T how investor psychology and stock markets operate. Markets are "future expectations discounting mechanisms" that are always aiming at predicting where stock prices are going to go. 

And yeah, they often pay too much attention to what are known on these forums to the pronouncements of "anal-lysts" who really don't know Apple as well as many here do as a culture and company. And they also get alternately irrationally exuberant and irrationally pessimistic in a crowd-psychology kind of way, for longer or shorter periods of time, but nonetheless that's how things roll in the financial world. 

They also respond to "exogenous events" in the worlds of politics and general expectations about things - and to news (and opinions) about other companies who seem (to them) to maybe have more (or less) "mo" than Apple.

Finally, while it's been brought up many times that Apple DOESN'T in fact bring out totally ground-breaking and industry transforming products every year or even every two, investors are NOT the only ones wondering how they're going to fare at that particular task in coming years with Jobs gone for good. 

That is, I don't believe the answer to the question of just how key he was in this aspect of Apple is known to anyone yet (except maybe in the boardrooms and labs at Apple, and if they've already got something huge and new well underway, they ain't talking and we don't know).

So until it's demonstrated they DO indeed still have that disruptive mojo that made them the world's largest "growth" company ever, a bit of uncertainty is going to help create a ceiling on how high Apple's stock price can go, despite their current success. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Gee, finally someone who can explain how markets operates. If only that someone learns what sarcasm is ;)

I totally understood that you and other posters were being sarcastic. Nor do I necessarily disagree with you that Google's (or say, Amazon's) stock price compared to Apple's based on many factors, is possibly a huge miscalculation (or to use your word, "madness") by many analysts and investors.

In fact I personally suspect you're more right than wrong.  But I really don't know.  Understanding a little about the factors that effect markets in general after 30 years of investing (which is all I claim, but which still puts me in the position of knowing more than many - but not all - who post on these topics), in no way makes me or anyone able to either a) know what the "proper price" of any given stock ought to be, or b) to be able to predict future stock prices with any precision at all. 

That is, it's all a matter of how those famous "known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns" play out over time.