Apple wins design rights to MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday was awarded two design patents, one for the MacBook Pro with Retina display and another separate patent for the laptop's cooling vents.

Retina MacBook Pro
Source: USPTO

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published Apple's D676,438 for the overall look and design of the MacBook Pro with Retina display that launched in June of 2012. Among the inventors named are Apple Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jonathan Ive and longtime designer Christopher Stringer.

Retina MacBook Pro Top Bottom

Apple first launched the 15-inch version of its Retina MacBook Pro with a totally redesigned chassis that measured only 0.71-inches thick. The laptop's main draw is the display, which boasts a resolution of 2,880-by-1,800 pixels, equating to a dense 220 pixels per inch. Unlike MacBook Pros that came before it, the Retina model eschewed the optical drive in favor of having a thin-and-light profile.

Retina MacBook Pro Top Bottom

As for Apple's vent patent, the D676,437 property was filed for on the same day as the Retina MacBook Pro's D'438 document, and credits many of the same inventors with its design.

When the laptop was unveiled, Ive said that instead of compromising the structural rigidity of the machine's chassis, the unique vent design actually added strong support beams to the structure.

Retina MacBook Pro Vent
Illustration of the MacBook Pro with Retina display's vent design.

The vent's design accompanies a property Apple previously won for the Retina MacBook Pro's asymmetric fans, which help to keep the device quiet while under heavy work loads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Yes gotta patent that beautiful design before the PC makers copy.
  • Reply 2 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Yes gotta patent that beautiful design before the PC makers copy.

too late.

• Reply 3 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Anyone know if there's a way to see the images from the patent website on an iPad?  Never works for me.

• Reply 4 of 12
    Yup too late already. Lol
    How does that work anyway?

They've already made a clone but then there wasn't any patent
    on it at that time. Are they safe or not?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I hope they destroy anyone who steals the design in court!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Congratulations on D676438 for MBP.
    Will Apple now allow others to profit using Apple design patent for MBP Retina to sell their MBP locking devices?
    I have a patent pending locking device available to Apple and Acco Brands, maker of Clicksafe and Microsaver.
    I will pay for a mutual lunch meeting at Steve's Cafe and Catering in Redwood City, CA.
  • Reply 7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anyone know if there's a way to see the images from the patent website on an iPad?  Never works for me.

This site works fine for me: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/02/apple-granted-patents-for-3d-version-of-os-x-macbook-pro.html#more

• Reply 8 of 12

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really? They don't work for me on my regular computer. Even when I clear everything and turn all extensions off. I figured it's a problem with my extensions having been on for so long that Safari is permanently broken. I don't even see ads when I turn off my extensions, but I do on the pure Internet of my iPad.

So if the iPad can't even see them… 

• Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Really? They don't work for me on my regular computer. Even when I clear everything and turn all extensions off. I figured it's a problem with my extensions having been on for so long that Safari is permanently broken.

It uses Quicktime to decode the images but the patent site uses bitmap tiffs (bitmap as in monochrome black/white as opposed to grayscale, RGB etc) and QT doesn't know how to decode them. If you right-click and hit inspect element, you can paste the link to get something like the following:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.DImg?Docid=D0676437&PageNum=3&IDKey=7D4CFD3E2A50&ImgFormat=tif

You can then drag it to the desktop and Quicklook will decode it properly. If you try opening the image in Quicktime, you can see it renders wrongly. To go through the images, you'd just increment the PageNum.

On the iPad, it might be possible to save those images to the photos app and view them there.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Yeah, the USPTO has used TIFF for a long time.  They host desktop viewers at...   http://www.uspto.gov/faq/plugins/tiff.jsp

On tablets, I find it better to go to Google patents (google.com/patents) and search there, because they recreate everything as viewable images, also converts the patents to downloadable PDFs.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Anybody noticed apple has the most ppi on a laptop, tablet, phone, and has had it for many years(on and off)
  • Reply 12 of 12

There is another use for a Clicksafe laptop computer lock along with being able to lock a MacBook Pro.

You can see it on youtube